OP franciscofranco

25th May 2012, 01:35 PM   |  #16991  
Flag Liverpool
Thanks Meter: 412

1,772 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by franciscofranco

This drops dont make any sense. I still think ita caused by the rom, the RIL is whats responsible for the GSM/CDMA signals, not the kernel.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

165 running great franco, no problems what so ever.
i never ever have any data drops, but i use the 2g only setting. As i only use internet etc over wifi.
25th May 2012, 01:39 PM   |  #16992  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 4,341

2,468 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theshawty

The RIL, is that within the ROM or the radio?

It's the radio...RIL stands for radio interface layer...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to metalspring For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th May 2012, 01:41 PM   |  #16993  
Thanks Meter: 8

88 posts
Quote:

This drops dont make any sense. I still think ita caused by the rom, the RIL is whats responsible for the GSM/CDMA signals, not the kernel.

Franco, I am not an expert but I respectfully disagree. If signal issues were only caused by the RIL or ROM, then, logically, it makes no sense why some kernels have the issue while others do not on the same exact rom with the same settings and features.

For example, I currently do not have the issue with Ezekiel's Westwood kernel. But the moment I flash your kernel, it comes back. Also, our 4G phones are able to simultaneously make calls and use data. At least, on some kernels, I am able to. But, for whatever reason, on your kernel and some others, if I enable wifi tethering, wait for it to show connected, then make a call, I immediately lose data on my computer. But, if I stop the call, data continues.

To me, this issue on the Nexus is the single most annoying issue. Not your fault, Franco. I have been trying to resolve this issue for ever but cannot. Or, I can only flash some kernels, like Ezekiel's. One thing I have noticed is that the issue may be caused by DNS failing to work correctly, at least that is what my computer shows.
25th May 2012, 01:41 PM   |  #16994  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 4,341

2,468 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Sorry to keep bringing this up but could the TCP stack within the kernel cause any issues?
Also for those having signal issues is it more helpful to get a logcat or a dmesg?
25th May 2012, 01:42 PM   |  #16995  
Thanks Meter: 4,692

15,999 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalspring

It's the radio...RIL stands for radio interface layer...

I know what RIL stands for, but the RIL isn't the radio. The RIL interprets signals from the radio and send them to the ROM.

So that's why I asked if the RIL is found within the radio or the ROM. Apparently not the radio as it seems the RIL isn't updated to the correct one when switching radio. That's why GetRIL is such an awesome app.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Theshawty For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th May 2012, 01:56 PM   |  #16996  
Thanks Meter: 209

829 posts
i know it sounds weird but it helped for me: i had data drops yesterday, then flashed again the latest radio (i'm from austria, so xxla32) and then again the latest nightly (165). haven't had a single problem since then.

oh: slim 3.7 is my rom.
25th May 2012, 01:58 PM   |  #16997  
Recognized Developer
Flag Tampere
Thanks Meter: 2,529

3,378 posts
Donate to Me
More
RIL lives in the ROM's system partition.
The Following User Says Thank You to jkoljo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th May 2012, 01:58 PM   |  #16998  

88 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalspring

Sorry to keep bringing this up but could the TCP stack within the kernel cause any issues?
Also for those having signal issues is it more helpful to get a logcat or a dmesg?

I am also wondering about the TCP stack as well. If it helps in narrowing down this issue, the following link on Ezekiel's thread states what he did to one of his kernels to resolve data drops, at least those associated with tethering:

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/14703-11-...page__st__2080

I have also noticed that, no matter what kernel you run, undervolting can cause data drops as well. I recommend running kernels initially with the dev's voltage settings to see if you are getting the drops.
Last edited by droidholic; 25th May 2012 at 02:07 PM.
25th May 2012, 02:15 PM   |  #16999  
Flag Rome
Thanks Meter: 880

2,387 posts
Donate to Me
More
i would say that the ti omap processor and the samsung baseband are a fatal combination for this phone (both hardware and software components )

this phone never worked well with signal, switching signal, etc, with every rom and kernel
Last edited by andQlimax; 25th May 2012 at 02:24 PM.
25th May 2012, 02:27 PM   |  #17000  

88 posts
I couldn't agree more. Definitely thinking of switching to another phone. Fortunately, I have an upgrade available. Will just have to decide what phone to choose. Never this issue with the previous HTC 4G phones I've had.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
4.0.4, 4.1, 4.2, best kernel, best support, fast, franco, galaxy, jb 4.1, kernel, nexus, samsung
Previous Thread Next Thread