Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[KERNEL] [GPL] [GN] franco.Kernel r398

OP franciscofranco

14th February 2013, 02:57 PM   |  #39181  
joaquinf's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Bucaramanga
Thanks Meter: 2,298
 
2,786 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmax13

Can anyone help me with this..
I have stock 4.2.1 with franco kernel and stock recovery. Rooted and unlocked bootloader.
Obviously I cannot update via OTA the traditional way...
If I flash the zip of the 4.2.2 OTA update (via custom recovery), will I brick my phone?
If yes, how can I return to stock kernel, so that I can update to 4.2.2? (any links would be great!)
sorry for the noob question....

Your question isn't kernel related, please post in the proper thread. There is a lot of information out there regarding the OTA update, please be aware of what you are doing and read to be completely sure about you are going to do on your device.

Please help us keep the thread clean.

Thanks
Last edited by joaquinf; 14th February 2013 at 03:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to joaquinf For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th February 2013, 03:15 PM   |  #39182  
osm0sis's Avatar
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 14,929
 
8,616 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmax13

Can anyone help me with this..
I have stock 4.2.1 with franco kernel and stock recovery. Rooted and unlocked bootloader.
Obviously I cannot update via OTA the traditional way...
If I flash the zip of the 4.2.2 OTA update (via custom recovery), will I brick my phone?
If yes, how can I return to stock kernel, so that I can update to 4.2.2? (any links would be great!)
sorry for the noob question....

All your questions have already been answered in the OTA thread over the last couple days, so go have a bit of a read: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1419170

And no, you won't brick anything. Read the OTA thread OP so you'll know what you're doing and won't worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pace

renaud (Developer of Fugu kernel) said this:

So, I guess you know whats the problem now.

Ah, that explains why the N7 f.K boots and the GN f.K doesn't; no PVR. Interesting.

Kernel sources dropped today so hopefully Google haven't made it too hard to merge. 4.1 -> 4.2 was a pain in the ass if I recall correctly and Francisco basically had to start from scratch.

While we wait for boss man to do his magic, I've tweaked stock kernel a bit.

Stock apparently has TCP Congestion Avoidance Algorithms now, but only cubic (Linux default) and reno. I switched it to reno for fun. Disabled Content Adaptive Brightness too since I can't do any of my other color tweaks with stock kernel.

Interactive is still the old version, so the original "magic" tunables are still fantastic. Oddly enough Google has disabled input_boost by default, I wonder why.. Anyway for those with poor memories:

60000 / 0 / 65 / 700 MHz / 1 / 45000 / 15000

Our newer tunables also work well, possibly better:

15000 / 0 / 95 / 700 MHz / 1 / 45000 / 15000

Then I switched to deadline from the Google default of cfq. Even though deadline isn't default the default tunables for it have changed. writes_starved is 2, fifo_batch is 16, and front_merges is enabled. malaroth's new values still feel smoother:

350 / 3500 / 6 / 1 / 1

Stock read_ahead_kb is 128, so I tried that at 512 again, but this felt worse. Feels like 128 or 256 is the sweet spot.

No way to set the IO Scheduler tunables on boot with f.Ku or stock (since there's no init.d), but I might try combining Franco's ramdisk with stock zImage later today to see if I can get that to work. Francenstock.

Edit:

Stock vfs_cache_pressure is 100; LMK minfree is now 8099,10132,12165,14213,16245,20295; adj 0,1,2,4,9,15. Can someone compare those to f.K r364?
Last edited by osm0sis; 18th April 2013 at 04:06 AM.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th February 2013, 03:53 PM   |  #39183  
malaroth's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 295
 
433 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
More
Re: [KERNEL][GPL][GN] franco.Kernel-r364 -> 4.2 | r300 -> 4.1
Thanks for figuring out the new deadline figures. Once my rom updates I'll be back at it. But I really prefer to tweak Franco.kernel when he's ready, since that's my daily driver and it doesn't leave him to figure all the numbers out. He's done so much I gotta help where I can

Franco r364
The Following User Says Thank You to malaroth For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th February 2013, 04:18 PM   |  #39184  
yellowdie's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Orlando, FL
Thanks Meter: 1,355
 
1,184 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2011
More
Re: [KERNEL][GPL][GN] franco.Kernel-r364 -> 4.2 | r300 -> 4.1
Hey guys!! Long time, no see! Lol. Good work on the new tunables malaroth (and everyone else).

Just wanted to throw out there that I am running Xylon 4.2.2 and it comes with LeanKernel 5.8.2. So somehow Imo figured out how to get it booting! So hopefully Franco can glean what he needs from there. But dang is this slow! Lol. I am dying for some Franco love here... Lean is so much laggier. Haha. Can't wait until Boss Man has his way with Google's latest!




EDIT: FAIL!!! I just learned that Xylon20beta is based on a 4.2.1 kernel.... grr.... Still no 4.2.2 there. :/
Last edited by yellowdie; 14th February 2013 at 06:50 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to yellowdie For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th February 2013, 04:48 PM   |  #39185  
malaroth's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 295
 
433 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
More
Re: [KERNEL][GPL][GN] franco.Kernel-r364 -> 4.2 | r300 -> 4.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdie

Hey guys!! Long time, no see! Lol. Good work on the new tunables malaroth (and everyone else).

Just wanted to throw out there that I am running Xylon 4.2.2 and it comes with LeanKernel 5.8.2. So somehow Imo figured out how to get it booting! So hopefully Franco can glean what he needs from there. But dang is this slow! Lol. I am dying for some Franco love here... Lean is so much laggier. Haha. Can't wait until Boss Man has his way with Google's latest!

Amen to that! As much as I want to try out 4.2.2 it WON'T be with lk. I'll wait. Plus I can see there's already jbsourcery 4.5.x being built and I can't do without fK

Franco r364
14th February 2013, 05:23 PM   |  #39186  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 832
 
1,283 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
Re: [KERNEL][GPL][GN] franco.Kernel-r364 -> 4.2 | r300 -> 4.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by osm0sis

All your questions have already been answered in the OTA thread over the last couple days, so go have a bit of a read: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1419170

And no, you won't brick anything. Read the OTA thread OP so you'll know what you're doing and won't worry.



Ah, that explains why the N7 f.K boots and the GN f.K doesn't; no PVR. Interesting.

Kernel sources dropped today so hopefully Google haven't made it too hard to merge. 4.1 -> 4.2 was a pain in the ass if I recall correctly and Francisco basically had to start from scratch.

While we wait for boss man to do his magic, I've tweaked stock kernel a bit.

Stock apparently has TCP Congestion Avoidance Algorithms now, but only cubic (Linux default) and reno. I switched it to reno for fun. Disabled Content Adaptive Brightness too since I can't do any of my other color tweaks with stock kernel.

Interactive is still the old version, so the original "magic" tunables are still fantastic. Oddly enough Google has disabled input_boost by default, I wonder why.. Anyway for those with poor memories:

65000 / 0 / 60 / 700 MHz / 1 / 45000 / 15000

Then I switched to deadline from the Google default of cfq. Even though deadline isn't default the default tunables for it have changed. writes_starved is 2, fifo_batch is 16, and front_merges is enabled. malaroth's new values still feel smoother:

350 / 3500 / 6 / 1 / 1

Stock read_ahead_kb is 128, so I tried that at 512 again, but this felt worse. Feels like 128 or 256 is the sweet spot.

No way to set the IO Scheduler tunables on boot with f.Ku or stock (since there's no init.d), but I might try combining Franco's ramdisk with stock zImage later today to see if I can get that to work. Francenstock.

Edit:

Stock vfs_cache_pressure is 100; LMK minfree is now 8099,10132,12165,14213,16245,20295; adj 0,1,2,4,9,15. Can someone compare those to f.K r364?

LMK values should be same and those aren't even adjustable anymore since values are hardcoded and dynamically calculated on the fly. IMHO newest lmk implementation works quite nicely

Sent from my slimbeaned GNex
14th February 2013, 06:57 PM   |  #39187  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 834
 
1,506 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
More
Re: [KERNEL][GPL][GN] franco.Kernel-r364 -> 4.2 | r300 -> 4.1
Osmosis, give this a try,

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1933849

People over at Trinity/Rasbean threads usually recommend this if they need init.d support on Trinity/Rasbean combo as this combo doesn't support init.d scripts by default.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
14th February 2013, 08:34 PM   |  #39188  
osm0sis's Avatar
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 14,929
 
8,616 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by akash3656

Osmosis, give this a try,

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1933849

People over at Trinity/Rasbean threads usually recommend this if they need init.d support on Trinity/Rasbean combo as this combo doesn't support init.d scripts by default.

Nah. I already made francenstock.

http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/S...nXju7TN4ip0XFQ

It's just stock JDQ39 + franco's ramdisk to enable init.d support. I disabled the part of it that backs up and replaces power.tuna.so though. Made using my Android Image Kitchen.
Last edited by osm0sis; 14th February 2013 at 11:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th February 2013, 09:15 PM   |  #39189  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 374
 
250 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurre

LMK values should be same and those aren't even adjustable anymore since values are hardcoded and dynamically calculated on the fly. IMHO newest lmk implementation works quite nicely

Sent from my slimbeaned GNex

Can you explain this further or link to a thread that discusses it? Searched and can't find it. I am still setting lmk values via init.d (more aggressive than franco's old values for some parameters). If this doesn't do anything anymore, I'd like to know, and understand the new implementation. Thanks!
14th February 2013, 09:51 PM   |  #39190  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 832
 
1,283 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgnex

Can you explain this further or link to a thread that discusses it? Searched and can't find it. I am still setting lmk values via init.d (more aggressive than franco's old values for some parameters). If this doesn't do anything anymore, I'd like to know, and understand the new implementation. Thanks!

well you can set those values, but will it do any good..that's the question
Pikachu01 made some investigation and had big "debate" with zeppelinrox at end of the last year which then turned to a "flameboywar"

But anyway, I made my conclusions and I'm using totally stock lmk without any tweaks and it seems to be just fine (some launcher redraws after playing some game, but that isn't really a problem). Newest implementation works imho better than earlier ones (when also franco had his own minfree values etc).

some links if you're interested to read a "little":
Summary by pika
Other post by pika (links to SuperCharger thread -> beginning of debate)

It's little hard to keep up with their conversation (since it seemed to happen in SC and TB threads simultaneously), but it's fun to read and you'll learn a lot if you want to
You could also try to search those thread for pika's and zep's posts.

My advice: keep it stock. I'm almost everyday surprised that some app which I have used long time (well this is relative, but anyway) ago, haven't been killed when I'll go back to it (like tapatalk, currents, sms app, browser). So I'd say that it works quite well

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kurre For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
4.0.4, 4.1, 4.2, best kernel, best support, fast, franco, galaxy, jb 4.1, kernel, nexus, samsung
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes