Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,803,209 Members 44,244 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[RECOVERY] ClockworkMod Recovery *GSM Edition*

Tip us?

Knolly
Old
Thanks Meter 15
What exactly does Fix Permissions in CWM do? Whenever I run it as part of installing the Google Wallet hack, it stops a good chunk of my programs from working without uninstalling and then reinstalling them from the market.

siedkins
Old
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infra View Post
Many have reported on different threads (even stock) that if you have your phone connected to charger and you try to shut it down, it will get stuck and show only the battery logo. And the only way to get it boot again is to remove the battery.
I think this is more ROM related as I have not had this issue with MCR and CWM. When I tried to flash franco's kernel my phone wasn't too happy as the boot image was different to the one for MCR. When I tried to get back into recovery was when I first had this freeze and had to pull the battery. I am back to all MoDaCo ROM & Kernel and all working fine and no freeze's.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App
LG G2 (802) (Vodafone UK)
ROM - Stock
-------------------------------------------
Samsung Galaxy Nexus GSM (Orange UK)
ROM - CM10.2
Kernel - franco.Kernel (nightly)
HTC Desire (Orange UK)
Rooted using unrevoked / 4Ext Recovery / CM71.0 / CM7r2 HBoot / ManU 2.0.1 Kernel
My Guide To Using ADB & Fastboot On OSX/Mac

mrvirginia
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 2,602

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by siedkins View Post
I think this is more ROM related as I have not had this issue with MCR and CWM. When I tried to flash franco's kernel my phone wasn't too happy as the boot image was different to the one for MCR. When I tried to get back into recovery was when I first had this freeze and had to pull the battery. I am back to all MoDaCo ROM & Kernel and all working fine and no freeze's.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App
i believe this gent is correct. i was coming back to the threads to ask about this very issue and i was going to go to the developers ROM thread because this wasn't the case until i flashed said ROM. i'll now stop turning my phone off and charging it at the same time until i load another one
Samsung Galaxy S4 M919 running VirginROM / Apollyon
MotoX XT1053 running personal dev build
Kahvitahra's mods || SGS2 GingerWay_BlueOcean Theme || GNex battery mod thread || S3 Virgin Theme

ljwnow
Old
Thanks Meter 145
Sorry for the previous reply. Now I think it is a kernel related issue. I flashed the MCR rom and everything works great now.

mrvirginia
Old
(Last edited by mrvirginia; 7th December 2011 at 09:46 PM.)
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 2,602

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljwnow View Post
Sorry for the previous reply. Now I think it is a kernel related issue. I flashed the MCR rom and everything works great now.
i don't. i'm running the stock kernel with a modified ROM. normally i would think the same, and try a new kernel first before making such an assumption, but not with a stock kernel.

edit: it's CWM. same issue now and i'm running stock deodexed ROM and stock kernel.
Kahvitahra's mods || SGS2 GingerWay_BlueOcean Theme || GNex battery mod thread || S3 Virgin Theme

mvpeterson
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi Guys,

Hope you can help me out here. I've flash CWM but how do I actually get into it?

mrvirginia
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 2,602

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpeterson View Post
Hi Guys,

Hope you can help me out here. I've flash CWM but how do I actually get into it?
there's 2 ways i go about it currently. shut down the device, then you can hold down volume+/- and then power, then use volume+/- until you see recovery on the screen, then hit power button to select. or, the way i like to do it, is via an app called Quick Boot that's free in the market. you'll also start to see APM (advanced power menu) mods floating around where you can have the device on and just hold the power button and select it. VillainROM's first release has this already

Luxferro
Old
Thanks Meter 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knolly View Post
What exactly does Fix Permissions in CWM do? Whenever I run it as part of installing the Google Wallet hack, it stops a good chunk of my programs from working without uninstalling and then reinstalling them from the market.
It pretty much does what the name implies. It goes through the phone and sets the correct permissions for apps, and I guess other files as well (read write execute). If they aren't set correctly they won't work right.

If you look in /system/app/ you'll see all the files have the same permissions. rw-r--r--. Each set of permissions is really 3 different users (owner, group, and others). so owner has read and write permission, group and other only have read access. none of them get execute access.

kevinniven
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Default CWM

I have installed and see some others having same problems. When i hit boot into recovery i get the little android guy with red tri. Also when I hold vol up and down and select recovery, same thing. I have also tried downloading quick boot with no luck. I havent been able to go into recovery at all! Any news on a fix for this? Am I doing something wrong?? Thx
@kevniv
HTC M8
Galaxy S5
HTC One Max
Samsung Galaxy Note 2014
Galaxy Camera
Droid DNA
Note 3
Nexus 2013

Luxferro
Old
Thanks Meter 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinniven View Post
I have installed and see some others having same problems. When i hit boot into recovery i get the little android guy with red tri. Also when I hold vol up and down and select recovery, same thing. I have also tried downloading quick boot with no luck. I havent been able to go into recovery at all! Any news on a fix for this? Am I doing something wrong?? Thx
That's cause u have the stock Android recovery back. There is a script that runs at boot up that checks ur recovery. If it doest see the stock one it replaces recovery back to stock. Rename or delete the script.

The script name and location are in the thread somewhere. I forget offhand. Do some reading.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Tags
clockwork, clockworkmod, cwm, galaxy nexus, mod