Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,905 Members 40,002 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[REF] [RADIO] [GSM] Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250 Baseband Collection & Discussion

Tip us?
 
steve.garon
Old
#501  
steve.garon's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 641
Posts: 1,018
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ottawa, On

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmanUV View Post
ABSOLUTELY YES.
A leak is not a official radio that goes through QC and whatnot. There could be critical bugs that prevented it from being released publicly.
I'm not saying this radio is bad or particularly buggy, and there seems to be little QC when it comes to gnexus, but an official radio is still more encouraging.
The official radio is available on Google's official stock firmware web site. Download the stock firmware zip file, extract the radio and flash it using flashboot...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Steve Garon on GitHUB

Nexus 4: Unlocked with Stock JB 4.2
Nexus 7: Unlocked with Stock JB 4.2
 
efrant
Old
#502  
efrant's Avatar
Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 8031
Posts: 9,519
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Montreal Bow2DaCow

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmanUV View Post
ABSOLUTELY YES.
A leak is not a official radio that goes through QC and whatnot. There could be critical bugs that prevented it from being released publicly.
I'm not saying this radio is bad or particularly buggy, and there seems to be little QC when it comes to gnexus, but an official radio is still more encouraging.
The thing is, it is NOT a leak. It just happens to be an OTA that was only pushed out to a limited number of devices. That does not make it a leak.
At present, I am not readily available on the forums or via PM -- if you are in need of a moderator, please contact someone from this list.

I do NOT answer technical questions via PM. Post in a thread.

Google Nexus 5

XDA Forum Rules & Moderator List

WHAT MATTERS IS UNDERSTANDING THE JOURNEY...
 
ArmanUV
Old
#503  
ArmanUV's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 222
Posts: 825
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.garon View Post
The official radio is available on Google's official stock firmware web site. Download the stock firmware zip file, extract the radio and flash it using flashboot...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
what? Nobody asked for official radio here. we're talking about how ugcl1 was only pushed to 1 person and therefore it may be better to stay on ugla4.
And google stock radios are intended for europe. It's recommended that north american users stay on the UGXXX radios.
Galaxy Nexus GSM
 
efrant
Old
#504  
efrant's Avatar
Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 8031
Posts: 9,519
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Montreal Bow2DaCow

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmanUV View Post
what? Nobody asked for official radio here. we're talking about how ugcl1 was only pushed to 1 person and therefore it may be better to stay on ugla4.
And google stock radios are intended for europe. It's recommended that north american users stay on the UGXXX radios.
I think you are making a lot of assumptions there.

Saying that it was only pushed to one person (just because only one person on XDA had reported receiving it) is a pretty big assumption if you'd ask me.

Secondly, have you disassembled the radios to see what makes the UG radios for N.A., different from the XX radios for Europe, and makes you say that those in N.A. should stay on UG and those in Europe should stay on XX? I certainly haven't, but what I can tell you is that in real world performance, I have not noticed any difference WHATSOEVER between all the radios that I've tried: XXKK6, UGKK7, UGKL1, XXLA2, UGLA4.
At present, I am not readily available on the forums or via PM -- if you are in need of a moderator, please contact someone from this list.

I do NOT answer technical questions via PM. Post in a thread.

Google Nexus 5

XDA Forum Rules & Moderator List

WHAT MATTERS IS UNDERSTANDING THE JOURNEY...
 
ArmanUV
Old
#505  
ArmanUV's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 222
Posts: 825
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by efrant View Post
I think you are making a lot of assumptions there.

Saying that it was only pushed to one person (just because only one person on XDA had reported receiving it) is a pretty big assumption if you'd ask me.

Secondly, have you disassembled the radios to see what makes the UG radios for N.A., different from the XX radios for Europe, and makes you say that those in N.A. should stay on UG and those in Europe should stay on XX? I certainly haven't, but what I can tell you is that in real world performance, I have not noticed any difference WHATSOEVER between all the radios that I've tried: XXKK6, UGKK7, UGKL1, XXLA2, UGLA4.
You're right that it may not be just 1 person, but it certainly wasn't a full blown deployment. Otherwise, we would have heard from at least a few other people, and not just on xda.
And yes radios are closed source and nobody knows what the difference is. I said it's RECOMMENDED to use UG radios in NA. It seems logical that they didn't go through the trouble of naming it differently if it was identical to XX radios. It also seems logical that canadian careers optimized the radio for their network.

In NA, the difference between UGKK7, UGKL1, UGLA4 and UGLC1 is *probably* very small and mostly related to bug fixes for drops/battery/etc and not data speed. However, there has to be a difference otherwise they wouldn't go through the trouble of releasing new versions.
Galaxy Nexus GSM
 
pcphobic
Old
#506  
pcphobic's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 405
Posts: 1,496
Join Date: Aug 2010
Default Anybody have the radio from latest build IMM761?

http://www.android-advice.com/2012/u...imm761-update/


May the DROID be with you...
 
Timmyfoxeh
Old
#507  
Timmyfoxeh's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 101
Posts: 168
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcphobic View Post
IMM76I didn't include a new radio, that's the same XXLA2 from the initial ICL53F 4.0.4 update.
HTC One - S-Off + Stock GPE
Galaxy Nexus - Stock 4.3
Desire Z - Andromadus
~Timmy Fox
 
efrant
Old
#508  
efrant's Avatar
Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 8031
Posts: 9,519
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Montreal Bow2DaCow

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmanUV View Post
[snip]

I said it's RECOMMENDED to use UG radios in NA.
Although I have never seen that from Google or Samsung, let's take it as true for the moment. Looking at an analogy, Volkswagen recommends that I use a certain type of oil in my R32. If I use a different oil, say a synthetic blend, which actually performs better, does it makes sense to use the recommended oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmanUV View Post
It seems logical that they didn't go through the trouble of naming it differently if it was identical to XX radios.
You'd be surprised what companies do. Years ago, Black & Decker put out a "new" line of "professional-grade" tools. Turns out they were the exact same B&D tools, just a different color plastic and different name. It was made public; big scandal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmanUV View Post
It also seems logical that canadian careers optimized the radio for their network.
This seems possible, but I have yet to see any difference between UG and XX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmanUV View Post
In NA, the difference between UGKK7, UGKL1, UGLA4 and UGLC1 is *probably* very small and mostly related to bug fixes for drops/battery/etc and not data speed.
Assuming that it is "very small", then does it really matter?
At present, I am not readily available on the forums or via PM -- if you are in need of a moderator, please contact someone from this list.

I do NOT answer technical questions via PM. Post in a thread.

Google Nexus 5

XDA Forum Rules & Moderator List

WHAT MATTERS IS UNDERSTANDING THE JOURNEY...
The Following User Says Thank You to efrant For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Theshawty
Old
#509  
Theshawty's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 4355
Posts: 15,009
Join Date: Feb 2011
This is my input, if anyone bothers to read.

http://***********************/instanc...x/19227394.jpg
 
unknown00
Old
#510  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 138
Join Date: Jul 2007
i'm still on 4.0.2, if i upgrade to 4.0.4 will my radio baseband be automatically updated?

Tags
baseband, cwm, fastboot, gsm, hspa, i9250, maguro, radio
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes