Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,799 Members 48,300 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

New ROM for Open Source Software

Tip us?

treffer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Default New ROM for Open Source Software

Gravity Free Distribution

Gravity Free Distribution is a ROM/Distribution that tries to give you a rich open source only out-of-the-box user experience. No GAPPS, not proprietary software. Blobs are still included, but I hope to replace them as replicant matures (rild would be great, but it's missing one feature right now).
The ROM is currently derived from OmniROM with the key addition being native integration of the superuser app (as several open source apps rely on root access) and some build system changes (mainly to push apps to /data/app, which is usually a bad idea, unless you want to allow a user to uninstall them)

The name is based on the idea that this ROM should never drag you into proprietary data silo. The scope of the project is the full phone stack, including all default apps. I've thus propagated some random patches.

This ROM should be able to run proprietary apps, too. But there is currently barely an app that is running as there is no real replacement for the google services.

Status Quo

Replacements:
  • Chat (ChatSecure, to be replaced with Conversations)
  • E-Mail (k-9, with openkeychain integration)
  • Contact sync (carddav, replaces google )
  • Document sync (owncloud, replaces google cloud/documents)
  • Firefox (replaces chrome, syncs via mozilla sync)
  • Instant image upload (owncloud, replaces google instant upload)
  • Location providers (NOGAPPS/g project, replaces google network location provider)
  • f-droid (patched, no need to allow unknown sources) (replaces market)
  • Calendar (local + caldav)
  • Bitcoin (no google wallet)
  • Maps V1 replacement lib (NOGAPPS/g/mar-v-in)

Additions:
  • Some games
  • Podcast/RSS clients, VLC
  • NTP/OpenVPN support
  • Torch, bubble, barcode scanner
  • TODO list

Missing parts:
  • Printing (all implementations are closed afaict)
  • Maps (OSM does not have a competitive android client)
  • Replicant RILd (we use exactly one missing feature: celltower reports)
  • Backup service
  • General sync (contacts/files/... between android <-> pc)
  • Mapsv2 compatibility lib (v1 is included)
  • Search/QuickSearchBox (google decided that only google should work)
  • Torrent downloader (fork of download manager? maybe)
  • Contact merger (like HTC was doing, my contact list is a mess)
  • A real web-of-trust implementation
  • Bootanimation (I can't use the default one and I'm not talented enough to create one)

The missing parts are mainly nice-to-have apps, except for maps.

Syncing/Communicating without Google

Google offers a great cloud sync solution. This distribution ships some tools to sync your phone. It currently works best with owncloud.

Here is what you should do to sync
  1. Open DAVdroid and add an account to sync your contacts (for owncloud <yourserver>/remote.php/carddav)
  2. Open DAVdroid and add an account to sync your calendars (for owncloud <yourserver>/remote.php/caldav)
  3. Open firefox and enable firefox sync (Settings -> Sync, works with owncloud if you install the mozilla_sync plugin)
  4. Open the owncloud client and add your server, go to owncloud settings and enable instant upload
  5. Open the E-Mail client and add your IMAP server
  6. Open ChatSecure and add your XMPP server
  7. Open buddycloud and add your buddycloud server (just kidding, but you may want to give it a try)

Your phone will now upload all photos you take. Your contacts and calendars are in sync and you can access all files you're storing on your owncloud box.

Most other groupwares out there provide carddav / caldav support, too. You may loose the abilitiy to instant-upload photos or to sync firefox with your own server.

Should I flash it?

This ROM/Distribution is not for everyone. I'm now using it on my old galaxy nexus and I hope I'll be able to use it as my primary phone by the end of the year. It's definetly better than I'd have imagined, but it's far from what I'd like to use on a day-by-day basis. I've thus labled it as alpha.

You have been warned. Download via bittorrent - direct http download (please try to use bittorrent first).

How may I help?

If you can develop ROMs and if you'd like to run it on your device you might have to build it for your device. It would be nice if all devices supported by OmniROM would work, too.
If you know how to develop apps: Many open source apps may need your help.
If you know how to build apps: f-droid can't keep up with all the apps popping up. Help them!
If you can't help with android development: You may help some open content projects, like openstreetmaps or opencellids.

Known bugs
  • Wifi does not scan automatically, you may have to disable/enable it to connect.

Post changelog
  • Add a sync/communicate without google section
  • Added a direct download link to my server

ROM changelog

XDA:DevDB Information
Gravity Free Distribution, a ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Contributors
treffer
ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
Based On: Omnirom

Version Information

Created 2014-03-31
Last Updated 2014-04-01
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to treffer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

treffer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Default Reserved

atljatl
Old
Thanks Meter 249
I've been contemplating jumping to a Windows phone and this looks like a good gateway towards leaving Google altogether. Thanks.
Jesus Christ is a real person. If you would like to know more about Him, feel free to ask me.

imjustafq
Old
Thanks Meter 183
whats the difference between owncloud and google?

Device - Samsung Galaxy Nexus GSM
ROM - Paranoid Android 4+

rinozire
Old
Thanks Meter 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustafq View Post
+1 looks like promotion of owncloud

treffer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinozire View Post
+1 looks like promotion of owncloud
I'll fix the description in an hour or so. You are free to use whatever caldav/carddav calendar you want. I just recommend owncloud as it will (currently) give you the most features.

I'll clarify what protocols used (which should clarify that other groupware solution work, too) and how everything fits together if you have an owncloud server (as an example).
The Following User Says Thank You to treffer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

treffer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustafq View Post
You most likely won't be happy with the ROM if you don't know it

Owncloud is a personal cloud/groupware solution. It thus tries to provide what your google account provides: Contact sync + online contacts db, file access + sync, calendar + calendar sync and plugins to add just about everything (e.g. a web mailer ui, firefox sync server, ....).

The biggest difference is you can run it on your own server. I'm currently using a vm on a PC at home and I access it via IPv6. This means my data is never stored elsewhere (technically I'll have to build a backup solution for that server, but that's a different story). Plus syncing at home is super-fast.

That said you can use whatever you want. It's just that it gives you many of the features you're used to, plus you can host it on your own.

If you are looking for s.th. like google music you may want to try subsonic (server) + dsub (android client).

The whole point was not to promote owncloud but to give a default set of apps that will give you a good user experience. I'll update the intro now.
The Following User Says Thank You to treffer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Copper Green
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Very nyce! Replicant becomes mature and therefore a real open source alternative

treffer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper Green View Post
Very nyce! Replicant becomes mature and therefore a real open source alternative
I am, unfortunatly, not yet using replicant.... The problem is I'm requesting neighbouring cell towers and this is one of the few inqueries still missing from the replicant ril
The other parts are not yet that interresting: the graphics drivers are slow and will most likely break firefox. Most BLOBs are simply removed and you won't thus be able to use the hw. I'll be happy to integrate parts as soon as they work. See the replicant wiki for details.

Anyway, it's one of the upstreams I'm monitoring. I took OmniROM as a basis because they stay quite close to the AOSP upstream and have all the stuff needed (like device trees).

pvkiniyan95
Old
(Last edited by pvkiniyan95; 2nd April 2014 at 03:39 PM.)
Thanks Meter 278
Thumbs up android back to open source

So basically the revolution to get android back from google to open source has started...thats actually gr8 to hear..
sadly i m more google services dependent..they made me so, lets see where it goes..btw an irc client would be gr8

regarding the graphics : kitkat is not officially released for gnex as we know so may be a version of 4.3 from aosp source is necessary too coz there are people who still love it for its battery life unlike kitkat...trust me 4.3 will reach those who are interested in opensource and linaro patches might be useful and they are too open source