[ROOT] Superboot - Galaxy Nexus root solution

OP paulobrien

18th November 2011, 04:13 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Norwich
Thanks Meter: 5,684

4,437 posts
Introducing.... Superboot!

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!
  • Superboot r5 - DOWNLOAD - MD5: 510c4a0c5a62407550abc5e028c6fd82
How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
- Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons both pressed to enter the bootloader (as pictured below)
- WINDOWS - double click 'superboot-windows.bat'
- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-mac.sh' followed by './superboot-mac.sh'
- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-linux.sh' followed by './superboot-linux.sh'

Note: If you are using a retail device, you may need to unlock the bootloader first, using './fastboot-windows oem unlock' (or the appropriate version for your machine, included in this zip). Note that the OEM unlock sequence wipes your device, so consider doing an 'adb backup' beforehand if required!

Enjoy!

P

Last edited by paulobrien; 20th November 2012 at 04:25 PM.
The Following 44 Users Say Thank You to paulobrien For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th November 2011, 04:23 PM   |  #2  
Flag lancashire
Thanks Meter: 31

277 posts
More
cheers paul for this now can you sort an unlock please so i can get my tmobile sim working in it anytime before my t would be great in the next say 30 mins would be smashin
18th November 2011, 05:07 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Norwich

4,437 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by treble4

cheers paul for this now can you sort an unlock please so i can get my tmobile sim working in it anytime before my t would be great in the next say 30 mins would be smashin

Done!

P
The Following User Says Thank You to paulobrien For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th November 2011, 06:09 PM   |  #4  
Flag patras
Thanks Meter: 32

68 posts
Donate to Me
More
so this is a temporary or permanent root because i didnt understood well the ''until such time as you reboot after running this process (it's a non permanent ADB root as it's a 'fastboot boot' and not a 'fastboot flash').''
The Following User Says Thank You to pan24 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th November 2011, 06:14 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Norwich

4,437 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan24

so this is a temporary or permanent root because i didnt understood well the ''until such time as you reboot after running this process (it's a non permanent ADB root as it's a 'fastboot boot' and not a 'fastboot flash').''

Permanent root.

P
18th November 2011, 06:44 PM   |  #6  
Flag malmö
Thanks Meter: 18

354 posts
More
great, can't wait to get mine!
The Following User Says Thank You to ballubas For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th November 2011, 09:26 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 1,140

4,726 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulobrien

Permanent root.

P

I'm sorry, i find this a bit confusing. Why do you make mention then to 'reboot', if people dont have to worry about it (as in my definition of permanent).
Does superboot allow for root under adb (until restart), and for normal os operation+root access, the latter not being affected by a reboot, is that it?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
18th November 2011, 09:50 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 331

1,487 posts
Donate to Me
More
I'm a little confused by the terminology used here too. This is a permanent root? Not one that must run after every reboot?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
18th November 2011, 10:38 PM   |  #9  
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 42

102 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk201doesntexist

Does superboot allow for root under adb (until restart), and for normal os operation+root access, the latter not being affected by a reboot, is that it?

This is what he means. Running "fastboot boot" allows you to access the root shell using adb, however after reboot you will not be able to do that again until you reboot with the same command, or flash his permenant adb root .img from his other thread.

Once you have done this method once, the su binary and Superuser.apk are on your device, and will be there permentantly, until such a time as you remove them or you reflash a stock image. This means your on-device root is permenant too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to el3ctrik For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th November 2011, 11:34 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 331

1,487 posts
Donate to Me
More
Worked flawlessly on my Mac. Cheers!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread