5,606,588 Members 36,258 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[DEV] Dual Booting Project [Android - Ubuntu Phone OS] (HELP NEEDED)

Tip us?

beidl
Old
(Last edited by beidl; 24th February 2013 at 12:07 AM.)
Thanks Meter 63

DONATE TO ME
I didn't have time to play around with the proprietary blobs yet, but what I have tried so far on the go:

Completely reflashed Ubuntu Touch ontop of working CM 10.1 install WITHOUT WIPE -> No issues
Reflashed CM 10.1 and booted into it -> No issues, no files or settings gone
Reflashed Ubuntu Touch (quantal-preinstalled-armel+maguro.zip) -> No issues, no files or settings gone

So it is not a "real" dual-boot but it gets the job done.
That will continue to work as long as Canonical doesn't require us to completely wipe our devices.

Oh, and if we want to make Ubuntu Touch run flawlessly we should start contributing to the upstream project
instead of doing our own custom ROMs and not contributing back. That way everybody benefits.
LK Android Bootloader on Nokia Lumia devices:
Every help is needed!! Let's make our Lumias the next HD2's
Currently working: USB (fastboot)
Next step: Display (please contact me if you have an idea)
https://github.com/beidl/lk_umia

Developer of Install Manager - Available on the Play Store.

Twitter:
Move your mouse pointer on top of this text and put slight pressure onto your left mouse button...
Just in case you're clicking it wrong.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to beidl For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

urko95
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 200

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [DEV] Dual Booting Project [Android - Ubuntu Phone OS] (HELP NEEDED)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beidl View Post
I didn't have time to play around with the proprietary blobs yet, but what I have tried so far on the go:

Completely reflashed Ubuntu Touch ontop of working CM 10.1 install WITHOUT WIPE -> No issues
Reflashed CM 10.1 and booted into it -> No issues, no files or settings gone
Reflashed Ubuntu Touch (quantal-preinstalled-armel+maguro.zip) -> No issues, no files or settings gone

So it is not a "real" dual-boot but it gets the job done.
That will continue to work as long as Canonical doesn't require us to completely wipe our devices.

Oh, and if we want to make Ubuntu Touch run flawlessly we should start contributing to the upstream project
instead of doing our own custom ROMs and not contributing back. That way everybody benefits.
Great work beidl, I will post a guide in General giving you all credits.

Thank you

Enviado desde mi Galaxy Nexus usando Tapatalk 2
Regards,

Urko Pineda

ak
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 36209

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by beidl View Post
Reporting semi-success
So i diffed the system directories of CM 10.1 and Ubuntu Touch and found the new files.

I pushed those files to my working CM 10.1 installation on the GNex.
Since I did not wipe my GNex when I went back from Ubuntu Touch to CM 10.1, the folder structure
of Ubuntu stayed at /data/ubuntu/.

Then, I rebooted into the bootloader and flashed the boot.img of Ubuntu Touch to the GNex.
After rebooting, the device was stuck at the Google boot logo but the kernel did actually boot, so I was able to adb shell into the device.
dmesg returned:

Code:
<6>[   15.739807] PVR_K:(Error): BridgedDispatchKM: Initialisation failed.  Driver unusable. [4783, /home/ubuntu/jenkins/workspace/phablet-image/kernel/samsung/tuna/drivers/gpu/pvr/bridged_pvr_bridge.c]
That means Canonical still uses the kernel from before a week, this kernel doesn't play nicely with the new proprietary GPU driver.
I'll try pushing the old GPU blobs now...
There is a source of ubuntu kernel?

AK

Github: link
Twitter: link
Xda N4: link
Xda N7: link
Google+: link
Dirty_v GN: link
Nephilim: link

I do NOT answer technical questions via PM.
Post your question in the correct thread if you want a response.
by morfic:
Just flash over.
Only thing we wipe here is our butts!

sgt. meow
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2619
I am not from around here, but isn't it possible to just bind /system to system.img in any directory, and then boot it from there after the same has been done for /data and /cache?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ho7noezbf3ph0l6/CrossMiranda.png
R.I.P. Miranda Nicole
An innocent soul, who deserved to live a lot longer. We all miss you.

R.I.P Alif Shahriar
A true friend, no longer here in this world, but always there in our hearts. We sorely miss you.

Owner and creator of Oxydo kernels for Nexus 7 2012 (Grouper/Tilapia) and Xperia X8 (Shakira)
Maintainer of AOSPAL for Nexus 7 2012 (Grouper).

My blog: http://alltheengsawesumz.blogspot.com/
Circle or chat: https://plus.google.com/+FayadChowdhury

MikeCriggs
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2874

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [DEV] Dual Booting Project [Android - Ubuntu Phone OS] (HELP NEEDED)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt. meow View Post
I am not from around here, but isn't it possible to just bind /system to system.img in any directory, and then boot it from there after the same has been done for /data and /cache?
It would be counter productive because you would need to uncompress the images to gain access to the partitions.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
+1 & FOLLOW TEAM AOSPAL

CURRENT DEVICES: NEXUS 5 & NEXUS 7 (2013)

sp3dev
Old
Thanks Meter 674
Check out our u-boot port. It can be loaded instead of the linux kernel and chainloaded from the Samsung's SBL bootloader
https://github.com/Ksys-labs/uboot-tuna

You can edit the [include/configs/omap4_tuna] and comment the CONFIG_SPL_BUILD line and flash the u-boot.bin instead of the kernel.
Then, you can put the android boot.img to /system/boot/vmlinux.img
You can put the custom image in the u-boot mkimage or the android image format to /sdcard/boot/vmlinux.uimg and the boot script to /sdcard/boot/boot.scr.uimg, and you can boot that image by holding the volume down button.

----
And if you really wonder about the CONFIG_SPL_BUILD. Just stop reading here.

Yes, you can enable it and replace the Samsung's SBL with u-boot. Be careful. It only works with old xloader's (PRIMEKK14 and older). Display does not work, so you'll have to rebuild the kernel and disable omap framebuffer bootloader init check. If you brick the device, use "OMAPFlash_tuna.zip" to recover.
Apple Macbook Pro Retina 2012, Sony Xperia Z
Me on github
Me on gitorious
uboot for Samsung Galaxy S2 Samsung Galaxy Nexus
GIT d- s a-- c++ UL P--- !J--- L++++ E--- W- N O? K? w--- o ?V PS+ PE Y+ PGP++ t+ ?5 X++ R* !tv b++ DI++ D++ G++ e* h+
BTC 14KZnQkZR2GLnme7pYGs68MQVJHWwHGt3B
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sp3dev For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

beidl
Old
Thanks Meter 63

DONATE TO ME
Default AW: [DEV] Dual Booting Project [Android - Ubuntu Phone OS] (HELP NEEDED)

Awesome, didn't know somebody ported u-boot over to the GNex.
I'll take a look at it today, play around with it and maybe improve my C skills a bit.
(I can read C code pretty easily but I have not written anything in C in years).
Now multibooting has some real potential!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
LK Android Bootloader on Nokia Lumia devices:
Every help is needed!! Let's make our Lumias the next HD2's
Currently working: USB (fastboot)
Next step: Display (please contact me if you have an idea)
https://github.com/beidl/lk_umia

Developer of Install Manager - Available on the Play Store.

Twitter:
Move your mouse pointer on top of this text and put slight pressure onto your left mouse button...
Just in case you're clicking it wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to beidl For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sert00
Old
Thanks Meter 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp3dev View Post
Check out our u-boot port. It can be loaded instead of the linux kernel and chainloaded from the Samsung's SBL bootloader
https://github.com/Ksys-labs/uboot-tuna

You can edit the [include/configs/omap4_tuna] and comment the CONFIG_SPL_BUILD line and flash the u-boot.bin instead of the kernel.
Then, you can put the android boot.img to /system/boot/vmlinux.img
You can put the custom image in the u-boot mkimage or the android image format to /sdcard/boot/vmlinux.uimg and the boot script to /sdcard/boot/boot.scr.uimg, and you can boot that image by holding the volume down button.

----
And if you really wonder about the CONFIG_SPL_BUILD. Just stop reading here.

Yes, you can enable it and replace the Samsung's SBL with u-boot. Be careful. It only works with old xloader's (PRIMEKK14 and older). Display does not work, so you'll have to rebuild the kernel and disable omap framebuffer bootloader init check. If you brick the device, use "OMAPFlash_tuna.zip" to recover.
interesting...i think it's the best way with uboot.definately follow this 3ad from now on..
My current mobile devices:
Samsung galaxy nexus maguro version 16Gb
Asus transformer WiFi-only 16Gb
Asus nexus 7 WiFi-only 16Gb
My current system embedded boards in use:
Arduino UNO (x2)
Arduino Mega 2560 (ADK support with USBHost Shield)
My current ARM boards:
Raspberry Pi rev.B
Hardkernel odroid-U2 with Exynos4412 PRIME x2 and all optional addons
Hardkernel odroid-XU-E with Exynos5410 x1 and all optional addons

ugothakd
Old
Thanks Meter 404
I think you're all going about this wrong.. kexec is definitely the way to go. Prepare your /system with both the android and ubuntu files. Then install a modified recovery.img to where you would install the normal boot.img. The recovery image would be modified with a menu to launch two commands, run ubuntu and run android. When run ubuntu is selected, kexec runs the ubuntu kernel, and vice versa. You wouldn't need to patch the android or ubuntu kernel only the recovery kernel.

CaliTilt
Old
Thanks Meter 5

anyone looked at Hashcode's Safestrap? His custom recovery allows up to 5 ROMs to be installed on the same device.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
__________________________________________________ _
Galaxy Nexus

Tags
galaxy, nexus, phone, ubuntu