Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,814 Members 51,169 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Making newer GPU drivers work

Tip us?

Shidell
Old
Thanks Meter 63
@musical_chairs Ah, I see. Well, if you can test Navigation while charging, I would expect that either phone should stop charging within five minutes. It would be a good test to compare, seeing are running two completely different kernels and ROMs.

If you or @Ziyan post updated DDK kernels, I will certainly try those, too. I'd like to see the GNex working to it's fullest potential; especially with the improvements in L, if we can resolve these graphical bugs, I don't see any reason or need to upgrade.

musical_chairs
Old
Thanks Meter 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell View Post
@musical_chairs Ah, I see. Well, if you can test Navigation while charging, I would expect that either phone should stop charging within five minutes. It would be a good test to compare, seeing are running two completely different kernels and ROMs.

If you or @Ziyan post updated DDK kernels, I will certainly try those, too. I'd like to see the GNex working to it's fullest potential; especially with the improvements in L, if we can resolve these graphical bugs, I don't see any reason or need to upgrade.
The updated DDK kernel (if you mean DDK 1.9, the one with GPU governor and temperature limit throttling) requires ROM-side changes in addition to the kernel changes. You can't just flash a kernel and get DDK 1.9 running. Ziyan's stable OMAP kernel branch has updates to a whole bunch of other stuff but keeps DDK at 1.8 so camera and OMX still work. FreshKernel and NukedTrinity both have a bunch of stuff from Ziyan's stable OMAP kernel, maybe one of those would help your overheating issues. If you would like to try the DDK 1.9 driver on toroplus, I can re-upload the ROM I had posted.

As far as navigation goes, I only use offline maps (my cell phone plan comes with a whopping 10Mb/month), so I'll have far less heating while navigating. Also, I'm usually not using Google Maps , I bought a download of US and Canada maps for another app and it behaves fine while charging AFAIK. So my test results won't necessarily help you.

Shidell
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Thanks @musical_chairs. In another thread here, according to freshgiammi, the overheating problem is tied to 4.4.

It's possible that @Ziyan's commits might fix it, but I honestly don't know enough about the kernel to know for sure.