Making newer GPU drivers work

30th August 2014, 04:34 PM   |  #61  
Thanks Meter: 63

520 posts
@musical_chairs Ah, I see. Well, if you can test Navigation while charging, I would expect that either phone should stop charging within five minutes. It would be a good test to compare, seeing are running two completely different kernels and ROMs.

If you or @Ziyan post updated DDK kernels, I will certainly try those, too. I'd like to see the GNex working to it's fullest potential; especially with the improvements in L, if we can resolve these graphical bugs, I don't see any reason or need to upgrade.
31st August 2014, 10:33 PM   |  #62  
Thanks Meter: 293

494 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidell

@musical_chairs Ah, I see. Well, if you can test Navigation while charging, I would expect that either phone should stop charging within five minutes. It would be a good test to compare, seeing are running two completely different kernels and ROMs.

If you or @Ziyan post updated DDK kernels, I will certainly try those, too. I'd like to see the GNex working to it's fullest potential; especially with the improvements in L, if we can resolve these graphical bugs, I don't see any reason or need to upgrade.

The updated DDK kernel (if you mean DDK 1.9, the one with GPU governor and temperature limit throttling) requires ROM-side changes in addition to the kernel changes. You can't just flash a kernel and get DDK 1.9 running. Ziyan's stable OMAP kernel branch has updates to a whole bunch of other stuff but keeps DDK at 1.8 so camera and OMX still work. FreshKernel and NukedTrinity both have a bunch of stuff from Ziyan's stable OMAP kernel, maybe one of those would help your overheating issues. If you would like to try the DDK 1.9 driver on toroplus, I can re-upload the ROM I had posted.

As far as navigation goes, I only use offline maps (my cell phone plan comes with a whopping 10Mb/month), so I'll have far less heating while navigating. Also, I'm usually not using Google Maps , I bought a download of US and Canada maps for another app and it behaves fine while charging AFAIK. So my test results won't necessarily help you.
1st September 2014, 05:07 AM   |  #63  
Thanks Meter: 63

520 posts
Thanks @musical_chairs. In another thread here, according to freshgiammi, the overheating problem is tied to 4.4.

It's possible that @Ziyan's commits might fix it, but I honestly don't know enough about the kernel to know for sure.
27th September 2014, 04:13 PM   |  #64  
Flag Reconquista
Thanks Meter: 4

39 posts
More
When listening to music there seems to be a stutter seconds after locking the screen. Is that due to drivers, kernel, rom? I've tried several combinations of roms and kernels and the problem is still there. Any idea? I'm using Apollo and Play Music, and I'm having the issue with both.
27th September 2014, 06:23 PM   |  #65  
Flag Lugo
Thanks Meter: 436

1,185 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by markitosd

When listening to music there seems to be a stutter seconds after locking the screen. Is that due to drivers, kernel, rom? I've tried several combinations of roms and kernels and the problem is still there. Any idea? I'm using Apollo and Play Music, and I'm having the issue with both.

The problem appears on android 4.4.x like overheat and lags..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to ScardracS For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th September 2014, 03:00 AM   |  #66  
Thanks Meter: 293

494 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markitosd

Actually, stock OmniROM is one of the few 4.4 ROMs I've tried that does not have this problem. DOn't remember if the modified Omni with the new GPU drivers did, but I don't think so. Sometimes with custom kernels (and lower minimum clock frequencies), Omni will cut out the music when the screen goes off, but with the stock kernel or a custom kernel with the minimum frequency at 350 MHz it is fine. CyanogenMod definitely cuts out when the screen locks.
The Following User Says Thank You to musical_chairs For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread