Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Thread Closed

Replicating 4.2.X "sod" and what it means..

OP simms22

6th January 2013, 04:44 PM   |  #11  
OP Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 22,400

26,728 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtrix

we cannot pull out the battery and fix the SoD on those devices so how could we fix that on N4 & N7 ?

pressing and holding the power button for 10-20 seconds will force reboot those devices.
The Following User Says Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th January 2013, 08:38 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 18

51 posts
More
A battery pull isn't necessary; you can shut down the phone with a little practice (depending on your lockscreen).

1. Press the power button (or wait) to lock the phone
2. Press the power button again and unlock
3. [optional] Press the home button (center of screen near bottom edge)
4. Press and hold the power button until a short vibration is felt.
5. Touch the Power Off button (center of the screen just below a horizontal line from the midpoint of the volume rocker). This puts you in the Power Off confirmation dialog.
6. Touch the screen in the approximate location of the "OK" button. I start at the middle on the right side and work my way down. Soon I get the long vibration telling me the phone has powered off. This is the hardest to master since feedback isn't immediate; the long vibration happens several seconds after I successfully hit the OK button.
7. If nothing happens, press the power button to re-lock and start again.
8. Practice when the phone is functioning normally, and you'll be prepared for your next SOD.

My observations (bone stock GSM phone):

This happened once in a pitch-black room. The screen does not go perfectly dark, but it is extremely dim and uniformly grey. I could not make out any details, so the contrast is completely gone.

SOD happens all the time playing Ingress, or other apps where the screen is active for a long time. It seems to happen most often when the display partly dims before going to sleep. My phone is set to sleep at 30 seconds, and the "pre-dim" happens at about 25 seconds. That's usually where I get my SODs.

SOD happens to me less often with auto-brightness set to OFF. It's extremely rare in normal use (but happened just now as I replied to a text!)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MondoMor For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th January 2013, 11:37 PM   |  #13  
OP Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 22,400

26,728 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoMor

A battery pull isn't necessary; you can shut down the phone with a little practice (depending on your lockscreen).

1. Press the power button (or wait) to lock the phone
2. Press the power button again and unlock
3. [optional] Press the home button (center of screen near bottom edge)
4. Press and hold the power button until a short vibration is felt.
5. Touch the Power Off button (center of the screen just below a horizontal line from the midpoint of the volume rocker). This puts you in the Power Off confirmation dialog.
6. Touch the screen in the approximate location of the "OK" button. I start at the middle on the right side and work my way down. Soon I get the long vibration telling me the phone has powered off. This is the hardest to master since feedback isn't immediate; the long vibration happens several seconds after I successfully hit the OK button.
7. If nothing happens, press the power button to re-lock and start again.
8. Practice when the phone is functioning normally, and you'll be prepared for your next SOD.

My observations (bone stock GSM phone):

This happened once in a pitch-black room. The screen does not go perfectly dark, but it is extremely dim and uniformly grey. I could not make out any details, so the contrast is completely gone.

SOD happens all the time playing Ingress, or other apps where the screen is active for a long time. It seems to happen most often when the display partly dims before going to sleep. My phone is set to sleep at 30 seconds, and the "pre-dim" happens at about 25 seconds. That's usually where I get my SODs.

SOD happens to me less often with auto-brightness set to OFF. It's extremely rare in normal use (but happened just now as I replied to a text!)

wouldnt it be easier to just pull the battery? thank you for your observations btw.
7th January 2013, 12:39 PM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 71

166 posts
More
simms22, I actually think it is a kernel issue. I only experience SOD problems when i use a custom kernel. Also yesterday I flashed stock 4.2.1 and tried for 10 min to replicate SOD using your method - I could not. Today I tried again - nothing.
7th January 2013, 10:19 PM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 18

51 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22

wouldnt it be easier to just pull the battery? thank you for your observations btw.

My phone is in an Incipio case, and it's more of a pain to separate the case, especially if I'm in my car or out hiking or whatever. I've gotten pretty good at doing it blind. Also, years of running Windows have made me anal about doing orderly shutdowns.

Forgot to add earlier: I was unable to replicate with the technique described in the OP. But as long as someone can get this to happen on demand, it ought to be solvable.

Edit: although I got the SOD in normal usage a few minutes after trying the technique in the OP. Maybe the display SODs on some specific number of brightness changes? That would explain it happening more often with autobrightness, also.
Last edited by MondoMor; 7th January 2013 at 10:25 PM.
7th January 2013, 10:36 PM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 36

106 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtrix

we cannot pull out the battery and fix the SoD on those devices so how could we fix that on N4 & N7 ?

Just hold down the power button for several seconds. Continue to hold down the power button until the screen blinks off and the boot logo appears.
We are flooding here.. lets discusse this other place and leave the devs alone here
The Following User Says Thank You to OtavioMalzone For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th January 2013, 10:41 PM   |  #17  
Flag Rome
Thanks Meter: 872

2,385 posts
Donate to Me
More
i dont know how replicate this 4.2 SOD, but there is a simple way to avoid it, put all animations inside developers option to 1.0

it doesnt happen anymore to me, stock rom and kernel (i have automatic brightess on if this can matter)

if i put all animations to off or to 0.5, when the screen time out and became black, sometimes it doesnt wake anymore..4.2 sod
Last edited by andQlimax; 7th January 2013 at 10:47 PM.
8th January 2013, 10:20 PM   |  #18  
Thanks Meter: 91

391 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andQlimax

i dont know how replicate this 4.2 SOD, but there is a simple way to avoid it, put all animations inside developers option to 1.0

it doesnt happen anymore to me, stock rom and kernel (i have automatic brightess on if this can matter)

if i put all animations to off or to 0.5, when the screen time out and became black, sometimes it doesnt wake anymore..4.2 sod

When I was running the first few nightlies of CM10.1 it still did the "sod" on me. By default the animation settings are at 1.0. Not sure if it's different on stock.
9th January 2013, 09:19 PM   |  #19  
Thanks Meter: 211

817 posts
I've had several sod's daily for last few day's and today finally flashed RBJ from the beginning plus dax's modified kernel and now i'm in watching phase. So far so good.
Last edited by spacemanr; 9th January 2013 at 09:22 PM.
9th January 2013, 09:24 PM   |  #20  
Thanks Meter: 92

585 posts
More
I have time without any sod... Maybe because I'm trying not to use auto brightness or because of the lastest versions of Francos kernel... Stock ROM

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread