[Q] Questions about bad ESN Verizon version

Search This thread

n64_ali

Feb 9, 2010
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum so hope I'm not repeating too many older threads.

I was looking for an Android device I could use as a media player and while my Galaxy Player 5 has been okay, I really would like something with the latest software updates directly from Google. Unfortunately, besides the Nexus One, no other Nexus device has a microSD slot so I need ~32gb storage and something more portable than the Nexus 7...thus, I'm left with the 32GB Verizon version. As I don't live in the US, I thought I could just get a bad ESN one off eBay but I had a few questions first:

1.) Besides the cellular radio, will a bad ESN version of the phone still function as normal?
2.) Does it have a SIM slot/support GSM frequencies? If so, does a bad ESN mean it won't work with Verizon or not at all? Just good to know for future reference, I suppose.
3.) Will this version of the Galaxy Nexus still receive updates directly from Google or is it one of those odd ones that has carrier limitations? If not, how healthy is the dev community for this version of the phone?

I think that's it. Thank you for any help you can offer!

n64_ali

Feb 9, 2010
It'll function.

No, it doesn't support GSM.

It gets updates from Verizon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Wow, that was a fast reply! Thanks for clearing that up.
Also, apologies to the forum admins. Just read the first thread about posting questions in here. Duly noted!

Smokeey

Oct 8, 2010
College Station, TX
With the control and consent of Verizon. Google isn't allowed to push an update independently.

Verizon only requires that Google does extensive QA before release and provides a report on said testing.

The OTAs come directly from Google. Verizon does not touch them.

Note: Previous delays in updates were not due to Verizon's requirements but rather their ****ty hybrid CDMA/LTE network issues. Not to mention, Qualcomm is really anal about Google releasing open source CDMA binaries.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
Verizon only requires that Google does extensive QA before release and provides a report on said testing.

The OTAs come directly from Google. Verizon does not touch them.

Note: Previous delays in updates were not due to Verizon's requirements but rather their ****ty hybrid CDMA/LTE network issues. Not to mention, Qualcomm is really anal about Google releasing open source CDMA binaries.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Correction.

The binaries are not open source. Neither are the GSM ones.