4.04 Verizon OTA 5/22

OP akanatrix

1st June 2012, 03:38 PM   |  #271  
Flag USA, Garner, NC
Thanks Meter: 8

53 posts
More
I'm in Rocky Mount and it's really intermittent for me. I went a couple of weeks recently without any problems - even making a few lengthy phone calls - and then it happened in rapid succession over the last few days. It's strange. I thought it had something to do with the tower I was connected to because I live about two miles from work, and even less than that as the crow flies. That means I make 98% of my phone calls while connected to the same tower. But I was in Raleigh a month ago which is a strong 4G market and I had it happen then, so that shoots that theory in the foot.

If the 10-day rollout thing is true, I'll stop spamming the "Check now" button. The update will get here when it gets here. I will, however, call Verizon tech support and gently remind them they WILL be putting me into a different device should this update not fix the one-way audio issue for me.
1st June 2012, 05:47 PM   |  #272  
Chicago, IL USA
Thanks Meter: 72

484 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Armpit

But I was in Raleigh a month ago which is a strong 4G market and I had it happen then, so that shoots that theory in the foot.

2 Points:
1) LTE has nothing to do with voice.
2) Virginia may have been built out with the same equipment as your local area, which is why you have issues in both areas. We don't know where Verizon installed what. It is likely a patchwork of different vendors across the country. It is unlikely that they would mix two vendors in one city, there would be a clean cutoff between providers.

In short, you have given us a little information, but not nearly enough to decide the issue one way or another.

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by efrant

Hopefully that will also mean that those on IMM30B could check-for/receive their update after that date as well.

There's usually a generic download for Nexus devices in additon to one targeted at people with the main OS version, like ICL-53F. These capture people on leaked ROM's and people who activate new phones that still have 4.0.1 on them.
The Following User Says Thank You to ATnTdude For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st June 2012, 05:50 PM   |  #273  
Colorado
Thanks Meter: 1

13 posts
What will your phone do when it's updating?

Last night I woke up to my phone stuck on the screen that is shows when you first turn the phone on. I left it for a few minutes, then took the battery out and powered the phone back on. I still have 4.0.2. Hopefully it was not updating when I removed the battery.
1st June 2012, 05:57 PM   |  #274  
Recognized Contributor / Archivist-in-Chief
Flag Durham, NC
Thanks Meter: 2,242

3,260 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighG8

What will your phone do when it's updating?

Last night I woke up to my phone stuck on the screen that is shows when you first turn the phone on. I left it for a few minutes, then took the battery out and powered the phone back on. I still have 4.0.2. Hopefully it was not updating when I removed the battery.

Did you get the notification on your phone telling you that you had a system update available?
1st June 2012, 06:11 PM   |  #275  
Senior Moderator
Flag Montreal Bow2DaCow
Thanks Meter: 8,095

9,544 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATnTdude

There's usually a generic download for Nexus devices in additon to one targeted at people with the main OS version, like ICL-53F. These capture people on leaked ROM's and people who activate new phones that still have 4.0.1 on them.

Yeah, that was the case on the Nexus One but, to date, I have yet to see any generic updates (i.e., an update that will update any build number to the current one) -- all of them have been specific, i.e., IMM76K-from-ICL53F, so I would expect a specific IMM76K-from-IMM30B update file.
1st June 2012, 06:18 PM   |  #276  
Colorado
Thanks Meter: 1

13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue910

Did you get the notification on your phone telling you that you had a system update available?

No message, just the colorful spinning squares that happens when you boot up the phone. Left it for several minutes before removing the battery (buttons did nothing).
1st June 2012, 06:36 PM   |  #277  
Recognized Contributor / Archivist-in-Chief
Flag Durham, NC
Thanks Meter: 2,242

3,260 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighG8

No message, just the colorful spinning squares that happens when you boot up the phone. Left it for several minutes before removing the battery (buttons did nothing).

That means your phone probably randomly rebooted itself in the middle of the night. You have nothing to worry about regarding the update. The update doesn't install automatically. You will get the notification on your phone, then you have to tell it to install.
1st June 2012, 07:29 PM   |  #278  
Flag USA, Garner, NC
Thanks Meter: 8

53 posts
More
Quote:

2 Points:
2) Virginia may have been built out with the same equipment as your local area, which is why you have issues in both areas. We don't know where Verizon installed what. It is likely a patchwork of different vendors across the country. It is unlikely that they would mix two vendors in one city, there would be a clean cutoff between providers.

In short, you have given us a little information, but not nearly enough to decide the issue one way or another.

Good point; forgot that 4G/LTE is data only and has nothing to do with voice calls. Thanks.
1st June 2012, 07:54 PM   |  #279  
Flag KY
Thanks Meter: 21

191 posts
More
I was under the impression that LTE was voice and data. But after reading this post I did a little research only to find out that is has not rolled out that way yet (looks to be 2013). No wonder LTE phones use so much battery, they run two radios simultaneously. I can't believe I didn't figure this out sooner!

Quote:

2 Points:

[/COLOR]

1st June 2012, 07:55 PM   |  #280  
Thanks Meter: 17

241 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrynalyne

Lets not be racist...

He could be talking about white/black/Hispanic/native American citizens of Korea who make bad radios you know? ;)

Sent from my Xoom using xda premium

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread