[4.4] KitKat ART discussion thread

Search This thread

LittleNinja

Dec 20, 2010
Now try your Root. Is not working for me after reflash AOSPA GApps...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

+1 for me. Had to install supersu 1.65 to get root again. Superuser wich comes with SlimKat seems to works,but can't grant root to apps.
Don't know if it's because the new Gapps or if it's because ART...
JB

joytsay

Jul 30, 2013
For me, when triggering ART, Facebook app seems to crash when pushing notification+messenger+friends button.
Also after reboot it always have to optimize which is time consuming. :(

sgtkwol

Sep 2, 2010
Buffalo, NY
For me, when triggering ART, Facebook app seems to crash when pushing notification+messenger+friends button.
Also after reboot it always have to optimize which is time consuming. :(

After switching to ART and dealing with the optimization of apps every reboot I swtiched back to dalvik and it seemed to resolve all problems I had even before switching to ART. Except the graphical issues, but I didn't experience anymore reboots.

I've rebooted a few times, none of those issues with the Gapps link I posted a few posts up.

G3Denver

Nov 27, 2012
Hi! running ART mode. If i dirty flash updated build, ART will not be replaced on dalvik?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Nov 18, 2013
Gnex / CM11 by Playfulgod in ART mode

Been playing around with a couple of stock Gnex handsets and various combinations of rom/kernal/etc etc and have got ART running on CM11 rom by PlayfulGod [tried all the others as well!] and have not had any issues with graphics, booting, going back to dalvik, that other homebrew rom installers seems to be having.

Have tried all 5 roms / kernals for 4.4, on both handsets [one was gplay suppled] and cannot see any difference with Apps installed running in ART or Dalvik modes.

Not sure it that helps anyone who is not an expert in all things android [that me!] that is messing around, while G get the real 4.4 update out [sure it is coming soon!] with different updates, installs etc.

1 Gnex have now been on, working [as in got an automated dialler/sms sender running] for over 20 hours and battery is still on 40% :good:

sickopsycho

Jan 21, 2008
Wilmington
Ok heres a question- If I were to install an odexed gapps package and switch runtime to ART... can I still dirty flash my roms when they are updated without experiencing issues? Do I only need to worry about flashing gapps packages? If thats the case does anyone know of a more 0day gapps package thats odexed? I know pagapps has a 0day package but IDK if its odexed or not...

EDIT: NVMD- found the PA-gapps 4.4 ART compatible gapps package (0-day). Havent confirmed working yet but am gonna try a dirty flash over my existing ROM and will report back with results after switch to ART.
EDIT: here it is... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2397942
And to make it a little more interesting... can I flash this odexed gapps package over my previously flashed deodexed gapps? As in dirty flash it? Or do I need to clean slate this *****? any experience?

Last edited:

mrgnex

Jan 10, 2013
Vlaardingen
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium HD app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1384899188434.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384899188434.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 416

darkmansd

Dec 22, 2009
Didn't work. But what did work was installing whatsapp 2.11.50

yeah did not work for me either: i got forcecloses on almost every system app^^....but maybe one of our developers can use the patch to make it work for us?

but can you even use 2.11.50 for a longer period of time? as far as i know whatsapp forces you to update after a period of time

Last edited:

mrgnex

Jan 10, 2013
Vlaardingen
yeah did not work for me either: i got forcecloses on almost every system app^^....but maybe one of our developers can use the patch to make it work for us?

but can you even use 2.11.50 for a longer period of time? as far as i know whatsapp forces you to update after a period of time

I'm runnig it for a day now. I disabled auto update in the play store and whatsapp prompted me twice but I could dismiss it. So yes I think so. I will report when I'm wrong.

do you have a link for apk?

Sure
http://ge.tt/m/6fTgBsz

Reactions: midijunkie

Website!

Apr 8, 2012
I've been running CM11 (unofficial) build with ART on for a couple of days now. everything works pretty much good, but is it my Gnex faster? I think NOT. now, i don't blame ART for that, maybe it's just a rom issue, but for now i don't see much (if any) improvements over our good ol' trusty 4.3.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,
    Following @Nebucatnetzer idea (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47328274&postcount=1283), I decided to create a new thread dedicated to ART talking.
    ART is not even finished by Google : all the ART discussion in 4.4 custom ROMs thread for our GNex clutters the threads with the same question every page. It results in messy threads which do not help anyone who wants to see the status, updates, or wants to post bugreports about the KitKat ROMs !

Small reminder out there : KitKat isn't even fully working on our phone, so it is quite early to mess up with ART, just my opinion ;) So I'll hope everyone will talk about ART here as it concerns all the 4.4 ROMs out there.

• What is ART ?
    ART, Android RunTime, is a new runtime which has been introduced in Android 4.4.
    It has been said that it improves the smoothness of the phone, but ATM it's more of a placebo effect (listen to this please, very interesting : Android Central : five minutes about ART podcast)

• How to enable ART ?
    Important, as Android devs said : Dalvik must remain the default runtime or you risk breaking your Android implementations and third-party applications.
    (source : https://source.android.com/devices/tech/dalvik/art.html)

Go to Settings, then Developer Options, then Select runtime and select "Use ART"

BEWARE : Use odexed gapps (from AOSPA) otherwise you'll have nonstop FC and a really hard time reselecting Dalvik !
    Here's a download link :AOSPA Odexed 4.4 Gapps
    After selecting ART, your phone will rebuild is cache as usual, but don't worry if it takes a long moment, 20-30mins as some people reported.

If there's any other information we should add to this OP, I'll do it :) So, please use this magnificient thread to centralize all the ART talk :good:
    Cheers !
    Here is the list of apps working and not working with ART http://www.androidruntime.com/list.
    Sorry if it is reposted :p

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2527879
    the fix is for the nexus 4 but maybe its possible to use it for the gnex too
    ART? More like fART.