FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

[Q] Android 4.3 Bluetooth LE Question ?

547 posts
Thanks Meter: 682
 
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Is it true that Galaxy Nexus Hardware don't support Bluetooth LE on Android 4.3 like Nexus 4? If not, how to check it supports LE ?
 
 
25th July 2013, 09:11 AM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 57
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutos1997

Is it true that Galaxy Nexus Hardware don't support Bluetooth LE on Android 4.3 like Nexus 4? If not, how to check it supports LE ?

Same here, could someone confirm Galaxy Nexus is now supporting bluetooth smart ?

Just done some web search and found this, which seems to confirm Bluetooth smart support : http://androidtelegraph.com/galaxy-n...s-android-4-3/

But I just want to be sure before buying this : http://www.zephyranywhere.com/produc...-rate-monitor/

Regards
25th July 2013, 09:58 AM |#3  
Mach3.2's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 451
 
More
No Bluetooth 4.0, the gnex was being recertified for 3.0.

Beamed from my Maguro.
25th July 2013, 10:12 AM |#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 57
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach3.2

No Bluetooth 4.0, the gnex was being recertified for 3.0.

Beamed from my Maguro.

Oups... you're right. That's bad considering the bluetooth Galaxy Nexus chip is compatible with 4.0 : http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsu...eardown/7182/2
25th July 2013, 07:09 PM |#5  
Member
Thanks Meter: 53
 
More
Wow... Really!? I am blown away by this revelation... The GNexus has BLE hardware (BT 4.0) but the 4.3 update doesn't add compatibility? That is so so crappy...
25th July 2013, 07:35 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 394
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahma69

Wow... Really!? I am blown away by this revelation... The GNexus has BLE hardware (BT 4.0) but the 4.3 update doesn't add compatibility? That is so so crappy...

Hopefully the devs will be able to hack it
25th July 2013, 08:30 PM |#7  
joedeveloper's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 87
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahma69

Wow... Really!? I am blown away by this revelation... The GNexus has BLE hardware (BT 4.0) but the 4.3 update doesn't add compatibility? That is so so crappy...

Apparently the issue is not with the chip, it's with the kernel. In order to have BLE you need to have the kernel bumped up to 3.4. From what I've read there are instability issues on the GNex with 3.4, possibly due to the fact that TI isn't doing anymore work on the OMAP processor line. So unless google figures out a way to release a stable, then we're out of luck. Or if a kernel developer figures out a way, but from what I understand it's a bit of an undertaking to accomplish.
25th July 2013, 08:30 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
Is it possible for the debs to actually make it work. If it's I would jump on that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
25th July 2013, 08:49 PM |#9  
Member
Thanks Meter: 53
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedeveloper

Apparently the issue is not with the chip, it's with the kernel. In order to have BLE you need to have the kernel bumped up to 3.4. From what I've read there are instability issues on the GNex with 3.4, possibly due to the fact that TI isn't doing anymore work on the OMAP processor line. So unless google figures out a way to release a stable, then we're out of luck. Or if a kernel developer figures out a way, but from what I understand it's a bit of an undertaking to accomplish.

Hmm... I hadn't heard any of that info. I guess I just assumed that any devices that have BT 4.0 hardware, and get a 4.3 update, would support BLE. When you are saying 3.4, I assume you mean 4.3? Don't the new stock 4.3 images for the nexus devices come with an updated kernel for 4.3? Hopefully this gets worked out...

Ah... I know what you mean by 3.4 now... You are referring to the kernel version.
Last edited by lahma69; 25th July 2013 at 08:55 PM.
25th July 2013, 11:48 PM |#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 37
 
More
There is always a weak link, if the OMAP is really not compatible with Kernel 3.4 then it'll be very hard if not impossible for the devs to fix....
26th July 2013, 12:50 AM |#11  
joedeveloper's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 87
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahma69

Hmm... I hadn't heard any of that info. I guess I just assumed that any devices that have BT 4.0 hardware, and get a 4.3 update, would support BLE. When you are saying 3.4, I assume you mean 4.3? Don't the new stock 4.3 images for the nexus devices come with an updated kernel for 4.3? Hopefully this gets worked out...

Ah... I know what you mean by 3.4 now... You are referring to the kernel version.

Yep it's all about the kernel... hmm.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes