5,815,214 Members 39,068 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Android 4.3 Bluetooth LE Question ?

Tip us?

Ashutos1997
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 639
Phone [Q] Android 4.3 Bluetooth LE Question ?

Is it true that Galaxy Nexus Hardware don't support Bluetooth LE on Android 4.3 like Nexus 4? If not, how to check it supports LE ?
Current phones :

Galaxy Nexus - Slimkat
Moto E - Stock KK

Judge584
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutos1997 View Post
Is it true that Galaxy Nexus Hardware don't support Bluetooth LE on Android 4.3 like Nexus 4? If not, how to check it supports LE ?
Same here, could someone confirm Galaxy Nexus is now supporting bluetooth smart ?

Just done some web search and found this, which seems to confirm Bluetooth smart support : http://androidtelegraph.com/galaxy-n...s-android-4-3/

But I just want to be sure before buying this : http://www.zephyranywhere.com/produc...-rate-monitor/

Regards

Mach3.2
Old
Thanks Meter 450
No Bluetooth 4.0, the gnex was being recertified for 3.0.

Beamed from my Maguro.
I do NOT answer technical questions via PM.

Titanium Silver GSM Galaxy Nexus 16GB
Recovery: CWM 6.0.4.3
ROM: CM10.2 23/10 Nightly
Kernel: Lean Kernel 8.3 Experimental
Radio: XXLJ1
Bootloader: PRIMELC03

Jubakuba's Guide
Stock Nexus Images
Unlock gnex bootloader without root

Making a Dropbox account?
Click this referral link to signup and download the Dropbox application so both of us get extra 500MB of space

Judge584
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach3.2 View Post
No Bluetooth 4.0, the gnex was being recertified for 3.0.

Beamed from my Maguro.
Oups... you're right. That's bad considering the bluetooth Galaxy Nexus chip is compatible with 4.0 : http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsu...eardown/7182/2

lahma69
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Wow... Really!? I am blown away by this revelation... The GNexus has BLE hardware (BT 4.0) but the 4.3 update doesn't add compatibility? That is so so crappy...

Sdobron
Old
Thanks Meter 360

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahma69 View Post
Wow... Really!? I am blown away by this revelation... The GNexus has BLE hardware (BT 4.0) but the 4.3 update doesn't add compatibility? That is so so crappy...
Hopefully the devs will be able to hack it

joedeveloper
Old
Thanks Meter 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahma69 View Post
Apparently the issue is not with the chip, it's with the kernel. In order to have BLE you need to have the kernel bumped up to 3.4. From what I've read there are instability issues on the GNex with 3.4, possibly due to the fact that TI isn't doing anymore work on the OMAP processor line. So unless google figures out a way to release a stable, then we're out of luck. Or if a kernel developer figures out a way, but from what I understand it's a bit of an undertaking to accomplish.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia Z1S (C6919)
Rooted
Rom: Stock 4.3

Current Phone: Galaxy Nexus (takju)
Rooted, Unlocked bootloader
Rom: Stock JDQ39 (for now) Jelly Bean!!

Former Phones: Galaxy S 4G (SGH-T959V) 1gHz Hummingbird+PowerVR SGX540
Rooted, Bloatware Free, No more Pink boot or shutdown screens,
Rom: Valhalla Black Edition KJ6
Kernel: bhundven's KJ6 2c voodoo kernel

HTC Dream (G1)[/B] Rooted, CM6 rocking android 2.2.1

betizad
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Is it possible for the debs to actually make it work. If it's I would jump on that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Samsung Galaxy TAB 8.9 3G PT/ P7300 / 16GB :Unofficial [JB]CM10.1 06_08_2013
GSM Galaxy Nexus : Unofficial CM11 + rooted + CWM recovery + BLE 4.0 package working + CM Kernel
Google ChromeCast (Not able to root)
T-Mobile G1 (somehow retired)

lahma69
Old
(Last edited by lahma69; 25th July 2013 at 08:55 PM.)
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedeveloper View Post
Apparently the issue is not with the chip, it's with the kernel. In order to have BLE you need to have the kernel bumped up to 3.4. From what I've read there are instability issues on the GNex with 3.4, possibly due to the fact that TI isn't doing anymore work on the OMAP processor line. So unless google figures out a way to release a stable, then we're out of luck. Or if a kernel developer figures out a way, but from what I understand it's a bit of an undertaking to accomplish.
Hmm... I hadn't heard any of that info. I guess I just assumed that any devices that have BT 4.0 hardware, and get a 4.3 update, would support BLE. When you are saying 3.4, I assume you mean 4.3? Don't the new stock 4.3 images for the nexus devices come with an updated kernel for 4.3? Hopefully this gets worked out...

Ah... I know what you mean by 3.4 now... You are referring to the kernel version.

CommanderROR
Old
Thanks Meter 27
There is always a weak link, if the OMAP is really not compatible with Kernel 3.4 then it'll be very hard if not impossible for the devs to fix....