5,597,501 Members 31,948 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Android 4.3 WiFi Issue

Tip us?

stevensoaj
Old
(Last edited by stevensoaj; 17th August 2013 at 04:55 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 333
Default Android 4.3 WiFi Issue

Since I've updated to Android 4.3 on my Galaxy Nexus (Maguro), I've noticed an issue with the WiFi. Sometimes, when entering the range of a known WiFi network, my device doesn't automatically connect, as if it doesn't know I'm in range or hasn't scanned for the WiFi networks nearby. This issue has been reported on the official Google Bugs tracker here. -->

https://code.google.com/p/android/is...etail?id=58230

If you have this issue, please visit this link and star/report it so that Google will know. For now, I've found a few ways to resolve the problem, and wanted to share them.

Solution 1: When I go into Settings < Wi-Fi to view the WiFi networks, I notice that at first it shows the network I'm trying to connect to as "Not in range," but then it immediately connects to it.

Solution 2: I also found that turning WiFi off completely, and then back on again allows my device to see the network and connect.

Both solution 1 and 2 are manual fixes. While both are easy to do, they require you to actually take action to reconnect to your network. This can cause you to miss notifications, etc. if you aren't aware of what's going on. I didn't like that too much, so I made a simple Tasker profile to help.

Solution 3: This requires a little bit of knowledge about Tasker, but I'll try to explain it well enough that anyone can get the profile setup and working.

First we will create a Task called "Wifi fix." This task will have 2 simple actions.
  • Disconnect Wifi
  • Reconnect Wifi

Now we need to create a profile to trigger the task. I'll name it "Wifi Fix Profile."
This is going to have 3 context triggers that all have to be met before it will execute our Wifi fix task, all are state contexts.
  • First we will use Wifi State Connected, with the Invert Checkbox checked
  • Then, Variable value "%WIFI" matches "on". Both "%WIFI" and "on" are case sensitive, so be careful.
  • Lastly, Display State "ON". This one is optional. I added it because I don't want wifi constantly disconnecting/reconnecting while my phone is asleep if I'm not near a network. So instead, the profile can only trigger while I'm actually using the phone.
After that, all you need to do is go into Profile Settings (by long pressing the profile name) and set a cooldown. I use 5 minutes, you can use anything (or nothing) you want.

Basically, what this profile does is when your wifi is on but not connected to a network, then it forces a scan for wireless networks by disconnecting, then reconnecting wifi. Simple, and it works.

Theory:
Now that we have a workaround, back to the problem. Based on the solutions listed, namely solution number 1, I believe that the problem lies with how often/ when WiFi networks are scanned for. This could be due to the new WiFi Setting Google added in 4.3, "Scanning always available". It has been reported that disabling this does not fix the issue, but I haven't tried it myself. I also tried changing the wifi scan interval in build.prop, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

Hope this helps some of you!
"It's okay to be wrong sometimes, because when you are, it just means you've learned something new."
Device: Maguro
Rom: AOKP 4.4.2 Nightlies
Recovery:TWRP 2.6.3.2
Kernel: Tiny Kernel 5.5

More Links:

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to stevensoaj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

geckocavemen
Old
Thanks Meter 53
I had problems with Wi-Fi on 4.2 so I just got in the habit of expecting Wi-Fi to be a little wonky and haven't paid much attention to it on 4.3. Have you noticed the same issue on custom roms as well? I'm running slim bean is why I ask.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

NCguy
Old
Thanks Meter 147
Can someone please verify for me, so I know its not just me, that network speed tests using speedtest.net are erratic and performance is horrible when bluetooth is on and connected. My theory is also that it continually gets worse over time to the point that your wifi begins to actually stutter and stall.

stevensoaj
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckocavemen View Post
I had problems with Wi-Fi on 4.2 so I just got in the habit of expecting Wi-Fi to be a little wonky and haven't paid much attention to it on 4.3. Have you noticed the same issue on custom roms as well? I'm running slim bean is why I ask.
Yes, I do have the issue on both custom and the stock factory image. I am also currently on Slim Bean Beta 1 (it's my favorite), but I also had the issue on Cataclysm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCguy View Post
Can someone please verify for me, so I know its not just me, that network speed tests using speedtest.net are erratic and performance is horrible when bluetooth is on and connected. My theory is also that it continually gets worse over time to the point that your wifi begins to actually stutter and stall.
I would test this for you, but I don't have a bluetooth device to connect to. Sorry, maybe someone else can test this?
"It's okay to be wrong sometimes, because when you are, it just means you've learned something new."

More Links:

diesel2k
Old
Thanks Meter 3
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2380403

Sendt fra min Nexus 7 med Tapatalk2

Nexusaurus
Old
Thanks Meter 14
What I really wanto to know if this issue is posted in the official google bugs tracker

stevensoaj
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 333
Well, I haven't done it because I don't know how, but I would be glad to if someone could point me in the right direction.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

More Links:

Nexusaurus
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensoaj View Post
Well, I haven't done it because I don't know how, but I would be glad to if someone could point me in the right direction.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Expose your case here:

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/list

Then come here and recruite some people to star your posted issue, the more stars the more atention Google puts on the issue. If you do it, add 1 star from me for sure.

FlickFlack
Old
Thanks Meter 11
I also have this problem with my GNex running CM10.2 nightly 0708. It is a real shame that google introduces a new bug in 4.3.
Android 4.2 suffers from a similar bug and they never fixed it and promised to fix this in 4.3 and now we encounter a new one

The 4.3 problem is already tracked here https://code.google.com/p/android/is...etail?id=58230 I think.

Will test your tasker profile and report if it works. From your description it sounds like a good workaround for this bug.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlickFlack For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Big ZD
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickFlack View Post
I also have this problem with my GNex running CM10.2 nightly 0708. It is a real shame that google introduces a new bug in 4.3.
Android 4.2 suffers from a similar bug and they never fixed it and promised to fix this in 4.3 and now we encounter a new one

The 4.3 problem is already tracked here https://code.google.com/p/android/is...etail?id=58230 I think.

Will test your tasker profile and report if it works. From your description it sounds like a good workaround for this bug.
Can it truly be verified as a bug if it's not stock 4.3? Not trolling...just asking.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app