5,603,591 Members 36,040 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Bad signal on VZW GNex

Tip us?

jeffreycentex
Old
Thanks Meter 23
I'm a mostly-3G person, and the phone seems to be:

1. Much better than the Thunderbolt or Incredible in 3G signal. By about 10dB.
2. Slightly worse than the borrowed Razr by 5 dB.

I can't talk about 4G as I'm not in it's area enough to gauge a difference. When I was in San Antonio, I got 22 down and 11 up. And I had a 4G signal in an office where I didn't have one with the Razr.

I must admit, though, that at least the Nexus can hold/reconnect (quickly) a data signal. When the Razr dropped off a data network, it could take 30~45 minutes for it to "see" a new data network. It was very annoying especially while driving. Handoffs on the Nexus seem fast.

sstang2006
Old
Thanks Meter 62
If it is not a Motorola you can bet signal will $uck.

My rented RAZR never dropped 4G at work, with the Nexus I only see 4G from time to time.
Evolution::

mastibeta
Old
(Last edited by mastibeta; 16th December 2011 at 10:51 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 48

DONATE TO ME
I am thinking this may be hardware specific...it seems most have the issue, but some seem very good....ideas?

EDIT: I spent some time on the phone with Tech support. They ran some service through the towers to my device...i am assuming its like re-associating with the towers....whatever they did, my phone now has a solid 4g lock, and my data speeds have doubled.

fender2kx
Old
(Last edited by fender2kx; 17th December 2011 at 03:58 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastibeta View Post
I am thinking this may be hardware specific...it seems most have the issue, but some seem very good....ideas?

EDIT: I spent some time on the phone with Tech support. They ran some service through the towers to my device...i am assuming its like re-associating with the towers....whatever they did, my phone now has a solid 4g lock, and my data speeds have doubled.
I'll try that tomorrow, but the signal has been terrible. LG Revolution pre Nexus and gets much better 4G in this area.

Lets get the word out and comment on posts you can find: http://androidcommunity.com/verizon-...1216/#comments

martonikaj
Old
Thanks Meter 1714
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastibeta View Post

Probably analogous to just updating your PRL on the device.
Quit signing contracts, stop overpaying for service, GO PREPAID!
Follow me on Twitter / Google+
Don't have Dropbox yet? Sign up from this link, and we both get more storage!

steelersfan16
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I noticed the 3g signal is about the same if not better than my droid 2 global. I live just on the edge of 4g and neither me (galaxy nexus) or my brother (tbolt) can get a 4g signal consistently.

Gilbot
Old
Thanks Meter 96
Coming from Sprint, this phone's 3g and 4g speeds are insane good. I'll reply if I see issues, but right now I'm in heaven.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
Phone History: Moto RAZR // Blackberry Bold 9000 // HTC Evo 4G // HTC Evo 3D // Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch // Samsung Galaxy Nexus [LTE] // Samsung Galaxy S3 [LTE]

Tab History: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 32gb // Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 LTE

xguntherc
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Anyone try going back to 4.0.1 stock image Google released (LTE obviously) before the update and see if the signal is better?

hmm.. This XYBOARD 8.2" LTE sitting next to my Galaxy Nexus has two bars of LTE while I'm on 3G.. that isn't fun
Too many phones to list.

Nexus 5, Galaxy S4 GPe, Nexus 7.. bla bla bla

martonikaj
Old
Thanks Meter 1714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbot View Post
Coming from Sprint, this phone's 3g and 4g speeds are insane good. I'll reply if I see issues, but right now I'm in heaven.
That's cuz Sprint 3G / 4G is pretty bad :P
Quit signing contracts, stop overpaying for service, GO PREPAID!
Follow me on Twitter / Google+
Don't have Dropbox yet? Sign up from this link, and we both get more storage!

MrKleen1
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Well guys this is not our imaginations. Yesterday I got the phone first thing in the morning and if I did not have wifi in my house I would not have been able to use the phone because it kept dropping.

Yesterday I pulled the battery several times and the sim card. The phone would have 4g for a minute and then drop again.

Today I called tech support and they had me do a factory data reset. I did this and thought the problem was solved because my signal was then about as good as my Thunderbolt. However as the day has progressed it has now gone bad again and now I cannot hold much of a signal if any again.

I called tech support tonight and they guy had me turn the phone off and take the battery out and he re-provisioned it and had me check all the settings. We checked it all out and my signal is about -125 to -140 dbm. He said anything above about 95 is not a good signal.

He said it sounds like I have a device with a bad radio. He said I should take it back and get another to see if it is better with a new one or if they are all bad. Then if the phone is no good I at least have a chance to get something better within my return timeframe. This is what he told me...

This is what I am going to do tomorrow. So far I am very disappointed with the Nexus since I tortured myself over it for two months in anticipation. Finally it comes out and it is a dud. Obviously this is probably why it was delayed. It appears as though it should still be delayed or redesigned.

I hope to never be so excited over a phone again.