5,600,053 Members 45,268 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Convert Stock Yakju 4.1.2 to Stock Takju 4.2 without loosing data/apps

Tip us?

freezer2000
Old
(Last edited by freezer2000; 16th November 2012 at 11:41 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 113
Prompt Convert Stock Yakju 4.1.2 to Stock Takju 4.2 without loosing data/apps

Are you a Galaxy Nexus (yakju) user and waiting for the 4.2 OTA update while the same has been pushed for Takju variant... please follow below to convert from yakju to takju (stock) without loosing your data/apps: (assuming you know adb & fastboot and have set them up on your computer. Also assuming that bootloader is unlocked) [Please read before you implement]

1. Download the 4.2 factory images for Takju from http://goo.gl/UMbmS
2. Extract files using 7-zip on Windows (you need to extract twice and will get the files as: bootloader-xxx.img; radio-xxx.img and image-xxx.zip)
3. Copy these files to the location android-sdk/platform-tools/ (if you have the android-sdk installed or to the location where adb & fastboot is)
4. Plug in your Galaxy Nexus (ensure Debug option is enabled under Developer Settings
5. Follow these commands:
a. adb reboot bootloader
b. fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-xxx.img
c. fastboot reboot-bootloader
d. fastboot flash radio radio-xxx.img
e. fastboot reboot-bootloader
f. fastboot update image-xxx.zip

This would update your Galaxy Nexus from Stock 4.1.2 (yakju) to Stock 4.2 (takju) without losing any data/apps

Note:
1. If you using Windows follow the video tutorial to setup adb and fastboot http://goo.gl/jGcic
2. If you are on Mac, use ./ before the commands for execution

Note 2: With this method you don't need to remove the userdata.img as the command "fastboot update image-xxx.zip" does not touch the userdata on your device.

*Disclaimer: I have followed the above to the T and moved from Stock 4.1.2 (yakju) to Stock 4.2 (takju) with Unlocked Bootloader, but you follow these at your own risk.

Hit Thanks, if this has helped you.
The Following 40 Users Say Thank You to freezer2000 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

neelabh75
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Why are you using crespo images instead of maguro?
Google Galaxy Nexus (CM11 nightly builds. Maguro)

Asus Nexus 7 (Stock rom, locked bootoader and unrooted)

yxcv99
Old
Thanks Meter 20
ROFLCOPTER. Say thanks for copy paste and already posted o0
Samsung Galaxy Nexus @ Stock 4.3
Motorola XOOM 2 10.1 @ Stock 4.0.4 [77.1.128.MZ616.Retail.en.EU]

neelabh75
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I understand that you are avoiding userdata cause it will wipe the existing one. But if one does not flash the boot image, will the next OTA(if ever happens) will be successfully installed?
Google Galaxy Nexus (CM11 nightly builds. Maguro)

Asus Nexus 7 (Stock rom, locked bootoader and unrooted)

freezer2000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelabh75 View Post
I understand that you are avoiding userdata cause it will wipe the existing one. But if one does not flash the boot image, will the next OTA(if ever happens) will be successfully installed?
This should allow you to update the next OTA without any issues..

paganwinter
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Code:
fastboot update image-xxx.zip
This will almost definitely wipe the data, as image-xxx.zip contains userdata.img
Every other place I have read instructions, they have mentioned that userdata.img must be removed from image-xxx.zip before updating it.

taylerdurden
Old
Thanks Meter 5
To do this you have to have the bootloader UNLOCKED. In the bootloader unlock process, all your data will be wiped, so this guide

DOESN´T WORK

Samhain77
Old
Thanks Meter 71

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganwinter View Post
Code:
This will almost definitely wipe the data, as image-xxx.zip contains userdata.img
Every other place I have read instructions, they have mentioned that userdata.img must be removed from image-xxx.zip before updating it.
Sure you're righrt, you've to remove it from the zip file. This guide is not so useful as it should be.
By the way to perform all this actions you need unlocked bootloader, if you haven't yet you will LOSE ALL YOUR DATA when unlocking with: fastboot oem unlock
Samsung Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250 GSM - Maguro
Bootloader: PRIMELC03
Radio: I9250XXLJ1, JDQ39 RIL
Recovery: ClockworkMod Touch 6.0.2.3 maguro
Kernel: 3.0.66-franco.Kernel-nightly-r366
ROM: takju JDQ39 (JB 4.2.2)
Enhancements: BEATS+XLOUDER! 4.2.2 Louder Audio Improvement Patch

_.-| I'm a recognized Android Flashaholic |-._

freezer2000
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by yxcv99 View Post
ROFLCOPTER. Say thanks for copy paste and already posted o0
Thanks for your comment.
At least I made you laugh... Have a Good Day

buggerman
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganwinter View Post
Code:
Yup.. You MUST remove userdata.img..
Motorola T191 -> Sony Ericsson T100 -> Nokia 2100 -> Nokia 3530 -> Sony Ericsson T310 -> Nokia 8250 -> Nokia 3530 -> Nokia 7250 -> Nokia 1100 -> Nokia 3650 -> Nokia 6100 -> Nokia N-Gage QD -> Nokia 6881 -> Nokia 6230 -> Sony Ericsson W300 -> Nokia 5310 -> Motorola RZR V3i -> Nokia N82 -> Apple iPhone 4 -> Samsung Galaxy Nexus -> Apple iPhone 5