Ask a question

No registration required

###CyanogenMod 11 Discussion tread. Custom kernels etc..###

OP abalam

10th October 2014, 02:13 PM   |  #121  
Thanks Meter: 2

6 posts
More
Cause I'm still not allowed to write to the "Galaxy Nexus Android Development" I write here:

After dirty upgrading my maguro CM11 from M10 to M11 ([ROM] [NIGHTLY] [4.4.4] CyanogenMod 11 for Samsung Galaxy Nexus) WiFi is broken.
The WLAN Symbol remains in the Status bar, no data connection. It is possible to switch off wlan and get a mobile data connection, but it is not possible to switch wlan on again. The WLAN Switch stays grey or doesn't save its status.

What I have already done:
- Fix permissions - no success.
- Wipe Dalvik + Cache no success
- deinstall touch control before flashing M11 - no success.
- Trying newest nighlty 10/09 - no success.
- Nandroid back to M10. WLAN is ok.
- Upgrading TWRP to 2.8.0.1 (from 2.7.1.0) and flashing M11 - no success.

I dont want to make a factory reset, cause I dont want to loose music, pictures, app data.

Anyone else with this problem? Any hint?
10th October 2014, 03:09 PM   |  #122  

25 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc11

Cause I'm still not allowed to write to the "Galaxy Nexus Android Development" I write here:

After dirty upgrading my maguro CM11 from M10 to M11 ([ROM] [NIGHTLY] [4.4.4] CyanogenMod 11 for Samsung Galaxy Nexus) WiFi is broken.
The WLAN Symbol remains in the Status bar, no data connection. It is possible to switch off wlan and get a mobile data connection, but it is not possible to switch wlan on again. The WLAN Switch stays grey or doesn't save its status.

What I have already done:
- Fix permissions - no success.
- Wipe Dalvik + Cache no success
- deinstall touch control before flashing M11 - no success.
- Trying newest nighlty 10/09 - no success.
- Nandroid back to M10. WLAN is ok.
- Upgrading TWRP to 2.8.0.1 (from 2.7.1.0) and flashing M11 - no success.

I dont want to make a factory reset, cause I dont want to loose music, pictures, app data.

Anyone else with this problem? Any hint?

A factory reset in TWRP (which includes dalvik, cache, & data), will NOT wipe your music and pictures. (It can't hurt to wipe system too, although in most cases that's done automatically when you flash a ROM.) What you do NOT want to wipe is "internal storage", which is where your pictures, music, etc. is stored. You can find more info here: http://teamw.in/whattowipe

Knowing this, I'd recommend making a nandroid and then clean flashing M11 just to test out whether WiFi works properly on M11 or not. If it does work this way, then you know it was the dirty flash that caused the problems. Either way, when you're done testing you can revert back to your nandroid and have everything intact, including your app data.

Also, a factory reset in TWRP would indeed wipe your app data, but you can easily back up all your app data with Titanium Backup and restore it after the clean flash. This looks like a pretty good guide for Titanium Backup for Noobs:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2717159
Last edited by FivePiece; 10th October 2014 at 03:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FivePiece For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th October 2014, 03:57 PM   |  #123  

6 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FivePiece

A factory reset in TWRP (which includes dalvik, cache, & data), will NOT wipe your music and pictures. (It can't hurt to wipe system too, although in most cases that's done automatically when you flash a ROM.) What you do NOT want to wipe is "internal storage", which is where your pictures, music, etc. is stored. You can find more info here: http://teamw.in/whattowipe

Knowing this, I'd recommend making a nandroid and then clean flashing M11 just to test out whether WiFi works properly on M11 or not. If it does work this way, then you know it was the dirty flash that caused the problems. Either way, when you're done testing you can revert back to your nandroid and have everything intact, including your app data.

Also, a factory reset in TWRP would indeed wipe your app data, but you can easily back up all your app data with Titanium Backup and restore it after the clean flash. This looks like a pretty good guide for Titanium Backup for Noobs:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2717159

I didn't know there is a difference between TWRP factory reset and Android Settings, Backup & Restore factory reset.

I made a factory reset in TWRP and just made a clean flash of M11 (I although formated /system) with the following result:

Wifi is now working properly with M11.
As expected all apps and their data were lost including GApps and Google Play.
The internal storage (/data/media) with pictures, music etc. wasn't deleted.

Anyway I went back to M10 by twrp/nandroid recovery, because I havent made Titanium Backups of all my apps and haven't downloaded an actual gapp package yet.
All apps are recovered after restoring /boot/, /system and especialy /data.
12th October 2014, 11:28 AM   |  #124  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Unhappy Problem comming from MirrorEnabler
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc11

I didn't know there is a difference between TWRP factory reset and Android Settings, Backup & Restore factory reset.

I made a factory reset in TWRP and just made a clean flash of M11 (I although formated /system) with the following result:

Wifi is now working properly with M11.
As expected all apps and their data were lost including GApps and Google Play.
The internal storage (/data/media) with pictures, music etc. wasn't deleted.

Anyway I went back to M10 by twrp/nandroid recovery, because I havent made Titanium Backups of all my apps and haven't downloaded an actual gapp package yet.
All apps are recovered after restoring /boot/, /system and especialy /data.

Becaus I have had the same Problem I did a clean install of CM11 M11. Wlan was ok.
But after starting MirrorEnabler to mirror my GN to the Chromecast which was working all my Wlan accounts were shown but not operatable. So I did a clean install of M11 again and all was fine.
http://cdn4.xda-developers.com/images/icons/icon9.gif
14th October 2014, 02:38 PM   |  #125  
Flag Jena
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
More
Hey guys,

want to install another kernel on my Galaxy Nexus (GSM) running CM 11 with 4.4 KitKat.

Which kernel is recommended for high performance and high battery life?
Want lean kernel but cant find any supported for 4.4 KK.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread