I used this step by step guide to move from 4.0.2 yakjuxw to 4.0.4 yakju and everything worked like a charm but I noticed something:
if I go to check for updates in Settings>About it never checks, and shows "Last check for update on 1/1/1970"
is there a problem or it's just a connection issue?
I think you are missing the point of what I was intending to do with the step-by-step.
Take a read of the following information, and see if it makes sense all together.
1) All stock builds (yakju, yakjuxw, yakjuux, yakjuwtf, etc.) and even a lot of custom ROMs will receive the OTA update notification.
2) Receiving notification on your device of an OTA update is NOT the same as install that same update.
3) yakju builds are updated by Google before non-yakju builds are updated, however, this does NOT mean that you will get the OTA notification on your yakju device as soon as you see others get it. In fact, many non-yakju users will get the OTA notification before many yakju users. All this means is that the yakju update is available before the non-yakju updates.
4) Generally speaking, once the yakju update is available, it will, in 99.9% of the cases, appear here on XDA before you receive the notification on your device. You could wait anywhere from seconds to MONTHS after you see it posted here before your yakju device will get it.
5) The benefit of switching your build to yakju is that the update is available FIRST, and will be posted here so you can update your device.
6) Once you see the update link here on XDA (like in this thread for example), all you have to do is follow the instructions and install it yourself.
7) In order for you to install the update, you will need the radio image, boot image, and all the files in /system that came with the version of Android that is being updated, otherwise, the update will not install (without modification). But flashing the radio and the boot image is so easy (takes all of 30 secs each).
8) Many individuals like using different radios and kernels, for various reasons, such as performance, functionality, etc. There is NO reason to not use the radio or kernel that you want, just so that you "can get the OTA". Once the update file is posted here, flash back to the original radio and boot image, and install it. It's not difficult.
Let me know if this clears things up.
2) What is the difference betwen OTA and installing update? I know OTA is received "over the air" by google, phone manufacturer, network operator, ... Is there any other difference except how updates are installed?
-What efrant trying to tell is, if u skip the optional steps, u
might still be able to will (timing varies) receive the OTA notification, whereby it inform u that there's update available, but the installation for the update will fail.
7) Please correct me if I am wrong. I have updated from yakjuxw build ICL53F to yakju build IMM76D, but I did not perform steps 5, 7 and 12 from first post, because they were optional and I do not have any knowledge about android OS.
When new yakju build will be available I will need to flash the radio image, boot image and other files from yakju build IMM76D to be able to update to newer build?
-U 're right, if u want to install the OTA update, not only recieve the notification, u need to perform all the optional steps, so that your rom will be in totally stock.
8) I am not clear with what is radio and what is the difference between kernels, what is bootloader and recovery used for.
-For in info abt kernel, bootloader and recovery ... refer to below links.
1)Do perform all the optional steps if u want to receive OTA notification as well as install it
right away when it finally comes, which could take a while.
2)Dont perform the optional steps if u choose to use other radio, recovery ... etc, in this case, u might still recieve OTA notification, but cannot install it right away. To solve this, just perform the optional steps before install the OTA update. After that, change the radio, recovery .. etc to ur choice again n repeat the steps on the next update. The reason ppls choose, for example other radio to use is, they know which radio is the best for their phone/carrier/telco, which might improve the signal strength n so on.
3)Even if u dont receive OTA notification
or unable to install the OTA update bcos u use other radio, recovery .. etc then the stock one, u still always can come go here n get the latest update file to manually update, or flash the full stock ROM, just like what u recently did. The update file most probably will be posted here earlier/faster/sooner than u get the OTA notification on ur nexus.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|