Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,232 Members 38,300 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[DEPRECATED] Change to 4.0.4 yakju from yakjuxw (or ANY other version)

Tip us?

ddragman
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by efrant View Post
Nothing. Those images are not part of the "ROM". However, you will need to flash them before applying an OTA update (the update verifies the radio before proceeding to flash), but then you can flash back to whatever versions of each of those three images you want.
Does it mean my phone will not get OTA in future? I went trough steps in first post only to change from yakjuxw to yakju to be able to get updates from Google.

efrant
Old
Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 8,064

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddragman View Post
Does it mean my phone will not get OTA in future? I went trough steps in first post only to change from yakjuxw to yakju to be able to get updates from Google.
I think you are missing the point of what I was intending to do with the step-by-step.

Take a read of the following information, and see if it makes sense all together.

1) All stock builds (yakju, yakjuxw, yakjuux, yakjuwtf, etc.) and even a lot of custom ROMs will receive the OTA update notification.
2) Receiving notification on your device of an OTA update is NOT the same as install that same update.
3) yakju builds are updated by Google before non-yakju builds are updated, however, this does NOT mean that you will get the OTA notification on your yakju device as soon as you see others get it. In fact, many non-yakju users will get the OTA notification before many yakju users. All this means is that the yakju update is available before the non-yakju updates.
4) Generally speaking, once the yakju update is available, it will, in 99.9% of the cases, appear here on XDA before you receive the notification on your device. You could wait anywhere from seconds to MONTHS after you see it posted here before your yakju device will get it.
5) The benefit of switching your build to yakju is that the update is available FIRST, and will be posted here so you can update your device.
6) Once you see the update link here on XDA (like in this thread for example), all you have to do is follow the instructions and install it yourself.
7) In order for you to install the update, you will need the radio image, boot image, and all the files in /system that came with the version of Android that is being updated, otherwise, the update will not install (without modification). But flashing the radio and the boot image is so easy (takes all of 30 secs each).
8) Many individuals like using different radios and kernels, for various reasons, such as performance, functionality, etc. There is NO reason to not use the radio or kernel that you want, just so that you "can get the OTA". Once the update file is posted here, flash back to the original radio and boot image, and install it. It's not difficult.

Let me know if this clears things up.
At present, I am not readily available on the forums or via PM -- if you are in need of a moderator, please contact someone from this list.

I do NOT answer technical questions via PM. Post in a thread.

Google Nexus 5

XDA Forum Rules & Moderator List

WHAT MATTERS IS UNDERSTANDING THE JOURNEY...
The Following User Says Thank You to efrant For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Pentium
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I used this step by step guide to move from 4.0.2 yakjuxw to 4.0.4 yakju and everything worked like a charm but I noticed something:

if I go to check for updates in Settings>About it never checks, and shows "Last check for update on 1/1/1970"

is there a problem or it's just a connection issue?
Nexus 4 - Stock Jelly Bean - 4.3
Retired: Himalaya - Blue Angel - Universal - Raphael - Hero - Nexus One - HD7 - Nexus S - Galaxy Nexus

efrant
Old
Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 8,064

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentium View Post
I used this step by step guide to move from 4.0.2 yakjuxw to 4.0.4 yakju and everything worked like a charm but I noticed something:

if I go to check for updates in Settings>About it never checks, and shows "Last check for update on 1/1/1970"

is there a problem or it's just a connection issue?
Mine checks in fine. It may be a connection issue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
At present, I am not readily available on the forums or via PM -- if you are in need of a moderator, please contact someone from this list.

Google Nexus 5

Pentium
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Its working now, I guess it was a connection thing!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA
Nexus 4 - Stock Jelly Bean - 4.3
Retired: Himalaya - Blue Angel - Universal - Raphael - Hero - Nexus One - HD7 - Nexus S - Galaxy Nexus

ddragman
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by efrant View Post
I think you are missing the point of what I was intending to do with the step-by-step.

Take a read of the following information, and see if it makes sense all together.

1) All stock builds (yakju, yakjuxw, yakjuux, yakjuwtf, etc.) and even a lot of custom ROMs will receive the OTA update notification.
2) Receiving notification on your device of an OTA update is NOT the same as install that same update.
3) yakju builds are updated by Google before non-yakju builds are updated, however, this does NOT mean that you will get the OTA notification on your yakju device as soon as you see others get it. In fact, many non-yakju users will get the OTA notification before many yakju users. All this means is that the yakju update is available before the non-yakju updates.
4) Generally speaking, once the yakju update is available, it will, in 99.9% of the cases, appear here on XDA before you receive the notification on your device. You could wait anywhere from seconds to MONTHS after you see it posted here before your yakju device will get it.
5) The benefit of switching your build to yakju is that the update is available FIRST, and will be posted here so you can update your device.
6) Once you see the update link here on XDA (like in this thread for example), all you have to do is follow the instructions and install it yourself.
7) In order for you to install the update, you will need the radio image, boot image, and all the files in /system that came with the version of Android that is being updated, otherwise, the update will not install (without modification). But flashing the radio and the boot image is so easy (takes all of 30 secs each).
8) Many individuals like using different radios and kernels, for various reasons, such as performance, functionality, etc. There is NO reason to not use the radio or kernel that you want, just so that you "can get the OTA". Once the update file is posted here, flash back to the original radio and boot image, and install it. It's not difficult.

Let me know if this clears things up.
Thanks for explanation. I still have some questions because I am new to android (well I made one app, but that is all) and I hope you will help me clear them up.

2) What is the difference betwen OTA and installing update? I know OTA is received "over the air" by google, phone manufacturer, network operator, ... Is there any other difference except how updates are installed?

7) Please correct me if I am wrong. I have updated from yakjuxw build ICL53F to yakju build IMM76D, but I did not perform steps 5, 7 and 12 from first post, because they were optional and I do not have any knowledge about android OS.
When new yakju build will be available I will need to flash the radio image, boot image and other files from yakju build IMM76D to be able to update to newer build?

8) I am not clear with what is radio and what is the difference between kernels, what is bootloader and recovery used for.

My goal was to change from yakjuxw to yakju and wait for 4.0.4 OTA. But I have changed yakjuxw to yakju, flashed 4.0.2 build ICL53F to 4.0.4 build IMM76D and keep bootloader, radio and recovery from yakjuxw build ICL53F. Correct?
If I ignore the fact there is no need and reason from my point of view to use any other kernel, radio, bootloader, recovery, ... and I want to receive OTA in the future I need to flash my phone again and also flash bootloader, radio and recovery partition with img files from yakju build IMM76D? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Because I am not clear with usage and difference of radio, bootloader, kernel, recovery and all the things at android I do not have any need from my current point of view to use any other images than the one google released for Galaxy Nexus.
Beside of all I also like the thought that I do not need to take care for updates and eventually I will receive them over OTA. But I am curios and I would like to read more about radio, kernel, bootloader, recovery and other stuff to clear up my understanding about android.

Thanks for help!

stormaker
Old
Thanks Meter 6
2) What is the difference betwen OTA and installing update? I know OTA is received "over the air" by google, phone manufacturer, network operator, ... Is there any other difference except how updates are installed?

-What efrant trying to tell is, if u skip the optional steps, u might still be able to receive the OTA notification, whereby it inform u that there's update available, but the installation for the update will fail.

7) Please correct me if I am wrong. I have updated from yakjuxw build ICL53F to yakju build IMM76D, but I did not perform steps 5, 7 and 12 from first post, because they were optional and I do not have any knowledge about android OS.
When new yakju build will be available I will need to flash the radio image, boot image and other files from yakju build IMM76D to be able to update to newer build?

-U 're right, if u want to install the OTA update, not only recieve the notification, u need to perform all the optional steps, so that your rom will be in totally stock.

8) I am not clear with what is radio and what is the difference between kernels, what is bootloader and recovery used for.

-For in info abt kernel, bootloader and recovery ... refer to below links.
http://www.tabletroms.com/forums/gen...s-android.html
http://androidforums.com/faqs/443075...rminology.html

Conclusion is,
1)Do perform all the optional steps if u want to receive OTA notification as well as install it right away.
2)Dont perform the optional steps if u choose to use other radio, recovery ... etc, in this case, u might still recieve OTA notification, but cannot install it right away. To solve this, just perform the optional steps before install the OTA update. After that, change the radio, recovery .. etc to ur choice again n repeat the steps on the next update. The reason ppls choose, for example other radio to use is, they know which radio is the best for their phone/carrier/telco, which might improve the signal strength n so on.
3)Even if u dont receive OTA notification or unable to install the OTA update bcos u use other radio, recovery .. etc then the stock one, u still always can come here n get the latest update file to manually update it just like what u recently did. The update file most probably will be posted here earlier/faster/sooner than u get the OTA notification on ur nexus.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stormaker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

efrant
Old
Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 8,064

DONATE TO ME
@stormaker: I couldn't have said it better myself!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Google Nexus 5

The Following User Says Thank You to efrant For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ddragman
Old
(Last edited by ddragman; 12th April 2012 at 12:04 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks for explanation and help!

EDIT:
Flashed again and I am pleased with result. Phone works smooth! Excellent!

efrant
Old
Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 8,064

DONATE TO ME
I would make the following minor modifications, as it is not entirely accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormaker View Post

-What efrant trying to tell is, if u skip the optional steps, u might still be able to will (timing varies) receive the OTA notification, whereby it inform u that there's update available, but the installation for the update will fail.

-U 're right, if u want to install the OTA update, not only recieve the notification, u need to perform all the optional steps, so that your rom will be in totally stock.

-For in info abt kernel, bootloader and recovery ... refer to below links.
http://www.tabletroms.com/forums/gen...s-android.html
http://androidforums.com/faqs/443075...rminology.html

Conclusion is,
1)Do perform all the optional steps if u want to receive OTA notification as well as install it right away when it finally comes, which could take a while.
2)Dont perform the optional steps if u choose to use other radio, recovery ... etc, in this case, u might still recieve OTA notification, but cannot install it right away. To solve this, just perform the optional steps before install the OTA update. After that, change the radio, recovery .. etc to ur choice again n repeat the steps on the next update. The reason ppls choose, for example other radio to use is, they know which radio is the best for their phone/carrier/telco, which might improve the signal strength n so on.
3)Even if u dont receive OTA notification or unable to install the OTA update bcos u use other radio, recovery .. etc then the stock one, u still always can come go here n get the latest update file to manually update, or flash the full stock ROM, just like what u recently did. The update file most probably will be posted here earlier/faster/sooner than u get the OTA notification on ur nexus.

Google Nexus 5

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe