Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,958 Members 52,337 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Developers Support Thread

Tip us?

dreamsforgotten
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2552

DONATE TO ME
Prompt Developers Support Thread

Developers Support Thread

What does that mean?

Quite literally, this thread is intended to support developers. I intend to help out anyone who needs a hand in an attempt to develop for the Galaxy Nexus, or any other phone but I'm going to reference my website with step by step instructions to get you through the beginning stages and comfortable with development. This will also cut down on the number of "noob questions".

Background:
My private messages and e-mail stay filled with usually the same questions. There are lots of people who have android phones and the excitement of owning them doesn't stop there. They want to learn how these other people are creating custom roms on their phone. Some people want a minimalism rom, pure AOSP with maybe one or two mods, such as reboot and status bar toggles, but otherwise want a stock setup. They browse around all these great roms but they are just too many mods for their taste. What do you do from there? You can request a developer release a version with only those two mods, and then wait for the end of time because it's not coming. Or you can compile your own rom from source code and have whatever mods you choose.

Rules:

1) No trolling. If someone appears to be a troll and everyone agrees they are a troll, leave it at that. NOT responding to a troll is the only way to defeat them so practice that rampid in this thread.

2) Anyone who knows an answer to a question posted, feel free to join in, the entire community including current developers should participate. This will only serve to strengthen the development community.

3) No question is too small. Everyone starts somewhere so if someone post asking what a terminal is, or how to find usb debugging in settings, do not discourage them from continuing to learn. There is no place for that and you will have become a troll. You will know it too because everyone will ignore your comments .

Get your start here:

http://source.android.com/source/initializing.html

This is google's own instruction but it's hard for some people just starting off to feel comfortable with. I have elaborated on this guide with an entire website aimed at educating people. Please visit here: http://www.dreamsforgotten.net Understand the site is very new, I have been working on it for a month or so, but it will grow and evolve as does this thread. Any questions that get tackled here that are repeated, and seem to affect many people, I will add the resolution to the website as well.

I do have ad sense on the website in an attempt to cover the hosting fees, there is no option to set up an account @ dreamsforgotten.net. Anyone is free to stop by and view it, and take from it what they need. So far I have enough instruction in place to get anyone who is using a supported development device (as well as sprint and verizon galaxy nexi lol) compiling from source rather quickly.

Please leave me feedback on what you would like to see addressed in the future, and consider this the support thread. Dreamsforgotten.net is for you to get a step by step instruction on setting up an environment, this thread is for you to expand that and get assistance when you hit a snag in the road. Thanks guys and I'll be responding to questions as I get time. Enjoy.
I quit school because of recess...they play too much
"I find it kinda funny....Find it kinda sad....That the dreams in which im dying...Are the best I've ever had..."
-Gary Jules
If you want to learn to develop, check out http://www.dreamsforgotten.net.

Fixed lol..Fixed for real this time!
Look out for your devs PayPal is appreciated.

Learn to Theme: Includes links to the next guide at bottom
The Following 43 Users Say Thank You to dreamsforgotten For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ÜBER™
Old
(Last edited by ÜBER™; 19th October 2012 at 03:06 AM.)
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 8923

DONATE TO ME
Okay im planning on Porting Rasbean Jelly to the Toroplus variant as Dreams and others from the Black Bean thread know. Just some questions.. Ubuntu 12.10 was just released and that is what i am planning on installing since it now supports my laptop. Will that be sufficient? I remember hearing some issues with compiling on it. Also how much space should i dedicate to the install? I planned on dedicating around 250GB but all im doing is syncing Rascarlo's git with his permission of course and then adding the necesseties for the toroplus (if thats even what im needing to do). And compiling? Do i honestly need that much space? Also will i need Swap to help my Laptop build? It has 6GB's of RAM and i hear the Minimum for building is around 16GB's otherwise it will take quite a while. Any insight would be great
Nexus 5: Paranoid RastaKat / Faux123
Nexus 7 FHD: Paranoid RastKat / Faux123

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ÜBER™ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dreamsforgotten
Old
(Last edited by dreamsforgotten; 19th October 2012 at 04:35 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2552

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜBER™ View Post
Okay im planning on Porting Rasbean Jelly to the Toroplus variant as Dreams and others from the Black Bean thread know. Just some questions.. Ubuntu 12.10 was just released and that is what i am planning on installing since it now supports my laptop. Will that be sufficient? I remember hearing some issues with compiling on it. Also how much space should i dedicate to the install? I planned on dedicating around 250GB but all im doing is syncing Rascarlo's git with his permission of course and then adding the necesseties for the toroplus (if thats even what im needing to do). And compiling? Do i honestly need that much space? Also will i need Swap to help my Laptop build? It has 6GB's of RAM and i hear the Minimum for building is around 16GB's otherwise it will take quite a while. Any insight would be great
I already spoke with you but i recommend two hundred gigs really two fifty minimum hdd. I roll with 8 gigs but compile time is horrendous since jelly bean. I'm sure almost all distributions can be set up to develop debian arch mint ubuntu etc but each have to be done so desperately. I'll work on write ups for each java 6 being the biggest hurdle for most new developers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
"I find it kinda funny....Find it kinda sad....That the dreams in which im dying...Are the best I've ever had..."
-Gary Jules

ÜBER™
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 8923

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsforgotten View Post
I already spoke with you but i recommend two hundred gigs really two fifty minimum hdd. I roll with 8 gigs but compile time is horrendous since jelly bean. I'm sure almost all distributions can be set up to develop debian arch mint ubuntu etc but each have to be done so desperately. I'll work on write ups for each java 6 being the biggest hurdle for most new developers.

How long do you think it'll take? Using 6GB of RAM. And I have a quad core amd at 2.0ghz?

Sent From My N7 via Tapatalk

dreamsforgotten
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2552

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
How long do you think it'll take? Using 6GB of RAM. And I have a quad core amd at 2.0ghz?

Sent From My N7 via Tapatalk
8 gig 1.2 gig quad core 8 hours. Use ccache when you build I would go 50 gigs

-Gary Jules

ÜBER™
Old
(Last edited by ÜBER™; 19th October 2012 at 05:10 AM.)
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 8923

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsforgotten View Post
8 gig 1.2 gig quad core 8 hours. Use ccache when you build I would go 50 gigs

You'll have to explain that.
That's quite ridiculous... now in doubting it... I don't think it'll handle that stress... it is a laptop I have a fan for it and it has a pretty good exhaust fan but that's still ass long as time.

Sent From My Toro+ via Tapatalk

dreamsforgotten
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2552

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
You'll have to explain that.

Yeah on the build android page there are directions for setting up ccache you have to add a line to your bash rc and run a command before you build. When I head home, I'll add a page in tutorials explaining that further, it was next on the list.

-Gary Jules

ÜBER™
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 8923

DONATE TO ME
Talking to motcher he says he uses ccache and with his dualcore 1.7ghz and 2 GB of RAM it takes him 3hrs and 1.5 after he builds ccache.

sendhiloo7
Old
Thanks Meter 288
Great idea man.

I want to add status bar toggle and navigator key re–map in Stock ROM.

I have tried system ui.apk & framework.apk decompile, but somewhere struck.

Can you please help to achieve the goal

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Regards

Senthil Kumar

Pirateghost
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6274

DONATE TO ME
8 hours!?

mine builds in 10 minutes after CCACHE, and 30-40 before....

The Following User Says Thank You to Pirateghost For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
android development, galaxy nexus, learning, noob