Dirty Unicorn for Tuna Download

Search This thread

christianpeso

Sep 20, 2007
I have since moved on to the Nexus 6, but came across this on my Google Plus feed. I haven't tested personally, but another user said it works on Maguro. Might work on Toro since it states "Tuna" in the name. Definitely recommend backing up before trying.

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24459283995314894

For those not familiar with Dirty Unicorns, they make a great custom firmware. Their team has some great Android veterans like Big Rushdog from the Omni and EOS days of the Xoom and Alex Cruz(Mazda).

Homepage: http://dirtyunicorns.com/

Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/communities/109738128866939227235

PythonNut

Aug 26, 2015
Interesting. How did you find this?

I'll give this a shot on toro to see if it flashes.

EDIT: Working on a toro that calls itself a "tuna". I have yet to test with a true toro recovery.

Last edited:

christianpeso

Sep 20, 2007
I came across this yesterday too whist looking for alternatives.
There is a Custom ROM section of the Galaxy Nexus owners feed on Google Plus and it was posted there.
https://plus.google.com/communities...3/stream/90071095-ed9d-4388-942b-41d09398482e

Yep, honestly speaking, it is looking like Google+ is the place to be for firmware info, questions, and releases. At least for newer phones. I have been on the Nexus 6 for a few months now and I visit the ROMS and Devs Google+ pages just as much as their XDA threads.

Hell, just yesterday I saw a build of Pure Nexus for Tuna posted.

And an FYI for others visiting this thread, If you click the link in the OP, that Dev has released newer versions of it which are listed out on the side. He seems to be updating it pretty well.

Reactions: Ph3ar.

opticyclic

Nov 15, 2012
I think the dev is @voidz777

DU is just want I want in a ROM, it has SuperSU bundled, dev options already on, loads of tweak options and several features from other roms like the choice of Slim recents or OmniSwitch.

Unfortunately, I just noticed I'm not getting any mobile data, which is a bit of a bummer!

voidz777

Jun 22, 2015
Kanan-cho
Last edited:

Ph3ar.

Apr 16, 2016
Yep, honestly speaking, it is looking like Google+ is the place to be for firmware info, questions, and releases. At least for newer phones. I have been on the Nexus 6 for a few months now and I visit the ROMS and Devs Google+ pages just as much as their XDA threads.

Hell, just yesterday I saw a build of Pure Nexus for Tuna posted.

And an FYI for others visiting this thread, If you click the link in the OP, that Dev has released newer versions of it which are listed out on the side. He seems to be updating it pretty well.

1st thanks a ton to @christianpeso for coming by to post and let us know about this . :good:

I think the dev is @voidz777

Unfortunately, I just noticed I'm not getting any mobile data, which is a bit of a bummer!

2nd Thanks a ton to @opticyclic for tagging the creator @voidz777 which brought him here to post :good:

Someone did call me? lol
I have three of unofficial projects for lovable maguro .:)
Operation verification has been in maguro.
probably, I think work with other tuna variants :)

Look here.

and abc 1st+ 1st+ 1st+ to @voidz777 for building and posting these links .

I've just installed the purenexus with open gapps nano package and have everything restored and I just have to say
this is the fastest and smoothest my device has ever ran . It's up and going flawlessly on my Toroplus , data and telephony work like a champ . I absolutely love the layout and the hamburger menu in settings . I would like to follow you on google+ @voidz777 . I'm a good logger and can get you on a logcat if you ever need me to . I will check everything like gps , etc but so far it's perfect . Do you have a g+ page where I can find you and whatever projects and builds you have going ? I can't thank you enough for this awesome rom !!!!!:good::good: .

For anyone reading if you have a toroplus I can confirm it runs great , fast , smooth and data works . I think this rom runs so well because this is a nexus as we all know and finally we have a rom thats practically native for it .

voidz777 do you have unnoficial xda thread hidden somewhere here ? just wondering if I'm missing it somehow .

Last edited:

quantan

Jan 26, 2011

manchucka

Aug 30, 2010
San Francisco
Can't get my f2fs /data and /cache toro to install any of these. They are, of course, not built for toro, so I have no complaint at all. I was just curious to see if I could install them.

Last edited:

ghost010

Aug 8, 2010
Leeuwarden
koekje-a.blogspot.com
I'm a bit confused. What exactly is dirty unicorn(could not find a FHQ only blog posts from current status and that they moved to asop)..

And how much ram does it have? The rom i'm using now has 0,93GB ram.

____Mdd

Jul 26, 2016
SAOSP 7.0 and Pure Nexus 7.0 is also there uploaded by @voidz777 ....!!
Why he is not posting or informing anyone on XDA....!!

____Mdd

Jul 26, 2016
@voidz777 i just noticed DU 7.0....!! Greatest work by you..... Thank You.....
And if possible please share them here.... Everyone deserve that great work.... ?

PGHammer

Jul 10, 2015
Accokeek,MD
DU for Tuna (7.1.1) Under the 'Scope

Tks for the AWESOME ROM...it's fast and buttery smooth...dl speeds are excellent...can't wait to try Pure Nexus ROM...BIG tks to voidz777...

I grabbed DU for Tuna to put under the gun (replace/upgrade from Unlegacy 7.1.0 - the only other N-based firmware I am aware of for either maguro OR toro, let alone any variant of tuna).

First boot - YOW! The boot animation is B-R-I-G-H-T - brighter (and longer) than that for OmniROM. (Contrast that with Unlegacy - which has NO first-boot animation whatever.) Unless it develops a case of stiction, I won't count that against it (that was, in fact, my sole ding against Omni 6 - the animation DID develop "stiction").

Now I'm through the animation, and in the second part of startup ("Android is starting") - the icons are crisp; in fact, so is the background (courtesy of Tapet, which I had installed prior). The very reason WHY I installed Tapet is because I love the Material Design backgrounds (which are not unique to Android, though they started there; I've seen them in Linux distributions - notably Ubuntu-based Linux distros, in addition to Android). From what I am seeing, Tapet+DU = win (just for the clarity of the icons and display). Another surprise is that it actually IS using more mobile data than Unlegacy - a bit of a surprise there, especially with my router literally at my right elbow. (Does DU prefer mobile data over wi-fi for some reason? I'm merely asking as that can be a problem where mobile data is NOT AYCE - and it isn't for me; I'd prefer to use wi-fi compared to mobile data - for cost reasons.)

Okay - I got it running; however, I could not install it clean, as it kept taking out the AOSP Keyboard part of GApps. Amusingly, a pour-over AOSP 7.1 worked wonders; I only needed to re-root it. Everything works, and I've had a ball with the tweaks (little stuff, like the carrier-notification area - mine actually now says Tracfone - my MVNO; MVNOs don't advertise), smaller fonts, etc. Pixel Launcher works from the get-go (with the GN Launcher as its backup), and I've added Substratum for themery (and the ONLY reason I added it is because it also supports Pixel Launcher along with most third-party launchers). Yes - I do believe PL's gonna grow on me. (Actually, the PL/PN tag-team reminds me a LOT of the early days of (don't laugh!) Stardock's Object Desktop for Windows - and the two play off each other quite a bit.)

Last edited:

Cintra2

Nov 13, 2009
Nærsnes
I wonder what the difference is between the Dirty Unicorn mentioned here and PureNexus which I came across on another thread and have installed OK with Pico Gapps (purenexus_tuna-7.1.1-20170107-HOMEMADE.zip) and where that ROM can lead or is it a semi-dead end?

Regardless, the Galaxy Nexus performance improved considerably over CM 13, no doubt owing to approximately 80MB more free system, so it's fun to use again :)

Last edited:

PGHammer

Jul 10, 2015
Accokeek,MD
I wonder what the difference is between the Dirty Unicorn mentioned here and PureNexus which I came across on another thread and have installed OK with Pico Gapps (purenexus_tuna-7.1.1-20170107-HOMEMADE.zip) and where that ROM can lead or is it a semi-dead end?

Regardless, the Galaxy Nexus performance improved considerably over CM 13, no doubt owing to approximately 80MB more free system, so it's fun to use again :)

The two ROMs don't differ much (understandably, since they have developers in common); in fact, this PN variant is DU-based - in terms of their N sorts, it's primarily that PureNexus includes PixelLauncher and some extra customization features that DU lacks. Both are lighter than CM13 - which shocked the heck outta me, since CM13 is based on MM, while both DU and PN are not only N-based, but 7.1.1-based in their latest iterations - isn't MM supposed to be lighter than N? (Because PN is based on DU, eventually (though not simultaneously) PN for tuna gets the updates DU does - the latest DU for Tuna includes the March updates, which the current PN for Tuna hasn't gotten yet. Unfortunately, it looks like PL is getting the boot from PN (despite my not having an issue using it) - is there an alternative way of putting it back?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts