30th April 2012, 08:01 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cherry Hill, NJ
Thanks Meter: 14

194 posts
Donate to Me
More
So um...I'm kind of shocked.

I just unlocked the bootloader on my shiny new USA GSM Galaxy Nexus from Google Play and...my data was still there when I rebooted. No Android Wizard or anything.

It's as if I did nothing, but I checked MULTIPLE times and I'm unlocked. Got the unlock icon during boot and everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digweed4me

same here on mine my data was intact

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWolf8

Just relocked and unlocked again to make sure it wasn't some sort of weird fluke...looks like I'm immune. What's going on here? An unlock is supposed to wipe everything for security reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFS456

So all the apps, app data, virtual sdcard files, etc. were all there?

Quote:

Yessiree. Everything was still there. The phone acted as if nothing happened whatsoever, despite the onscreen warning about losing data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archpope

Same thing happened to me. I was prepared to start all over, but doing the 4-in-1 from the Galaxy Nexus Toolkit, I was surprised to see the only changes were an unlock symbol appearing on the screen at bootup, and Google Wallet griping about my having an insecure phone.

I may re-lock the bootloader now that I've rooted. I'm not sure if I will lose root, but I only rooted to run an adblocker anyway.

Quote:

For the record I didn't even do that. I simply did "fastboot oem unlock". I like to keep things simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uoY_redruM

Got mine from the play store Friday. Unlock wiped nothing..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Quote:

Figured I'd just give ya all the info so you have it:

Stock bootloader shows:
FASTBOOT MODE
PRODUCT NAME - tuna
VARIANT - maguro 16GB
HW VERSION - 9
BOOTLOADER VERSION - PRIMELA03
BASEBAND VERSION - I9250XXLA2
CARRIER INFO - NONE
SERIAL NUMBER - [REDACTED] (I can give it if it's absolutely needed)
SIGNING - production
LOCK STATE - UNLOCKED

Download/Odin Mode shows:
OMAP-Samsung HW Information
Board Name: tuna REV 9
Board Rev: HSPA - 9
Boot Type: USB MMC1
Device Type: HS
Build Date: Jan 24 2012 18:27:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by efrant

Hmmm. You do have a shipping (sorry, "production") bootloader, not an engineering one. Very interesting... Not sure why some devices wipe while others will not, upon unlocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilalakhtar

There are quite many security issues that could arise from being able to unlock the bootloader without wiping all data, for example, a hacker could get past your screen lock by:

1) Battery pull, then
2) Boot into bootloader using the key combination
3) fastboot oem unlock
4) Flash an unsecure boot.img that has r/w permissions
5) Edit the right files to remove screen lock

But I still have a feeling that this behavior with USA GSM Nexi is intended. Probably because Google intended that phone to be sold only to developers who are likely going to be unlocking bootloaders anyway, and decided to simplify the process?

Last edited by mskip; 18th May 2012 at 03:20 PM.
13th May 2012, 12:35 AM   |  #2  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Norfolk
Thanks Meter: 13,802

11,173 posts
Donate to Me
More
MERGED THREADS.

Mark.
Last edited by mskip; 18th May 2012 at 03:21 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mskip For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th May 2012, 02:27 PM   |  #3  
Flag Southern California
Thanks Meter: 122

1,104 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsbbq

I don't think the Amazon is a USA version but an international version. If international version it will have to be shipped overseas for repair, Google Play has USA warranty. Also if you do decide to root the USA version does not wipe your device during the unlocking of bootloader like the international versions do.

The USA version, as any other hspa+ version, DOES wipe userdata when unlocking the bootloader.
15th May 2012, 02:35 PM   |  #4  
Flag Baltimore
Thanks Meter: 194

958 posts
More
I have the USA version from the play store. My data wasn't wiped after unlocking the bootloader. Either way, its not a big deal. Warranty matters are much more important.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to DeezNotes For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th May 2012, 03:09 PM   |  #5  
Flag NC
Thanks Meter: 189

1,350 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsbbq

I don't think the Amazon is a USA version but an international version. If international version it will have to be shipped overseas for repair, Google Play has USA warranty. Also if you do decide to root the USA version does not wipe your device during the unlocking of bootloader like the international versions do.

Nobody who has purchased a play store GN has reported wipe after unlock.
15th May 2012, 03:17 PM   |  #6  
North Eastern Ohio
Thanks Meter: 151

699 posts
More
Mine from the play store did NOT wipe user data after unlocking. I am running CM9 and have locked and unlocked many times without wiping data.
15th May 2012, 06:28 PM   |  #7  
Flag GMT-5
Thanks Meter: 477

2,130 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCtor

The USA version, as any other hspa+ version, DOES wipe userdata when unlocking the bootloader.

Does NOT wipe actually. Maybe leave it to people with first hand experience to answer a question like this?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ragnarokx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th May 2012, 06:49 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 608

1,991 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarokx

Does NOT wipe actually. Maybe leave it to people with first hand experience to answer a question like this?

Although it may be a bug that will be fixed in a later update so I don't know if the failure to wipe is a permanent feature. However, I can verify my GN didn't wipe either after unlocking.
15th May 2012, 07:11 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 6

78 posts
Quote:

is this with the oem fastboot unlock method?
15th May 2012, 09:34 PM   |  #10  
Flag Southern California
Thanks Meter: 122

1,104 posts
More
Quote:

I have 3 Play store Galaxy Nexus. They all wiped data when I unlocked bootloader. I think that's first hand experience. If it doesn't wipe the data, then that's a security risk.

Example: Just yesterday, I got tired of using CM9 and fastbooted the stock images without -w. I didn't want to go into recovery to wipe data and factory reset (because that just wipes data partition, not usb storage), so while in fastboot, I did fastboot oem lock then fastboot oem unlock. If it didn't wipe data, then my usb storage should've had a clockwordmod folder, music that I precache, and other various folders that were created from apps that were installed, and I wouldn't be introduced to the welcome screen upon bootup. Like I said, if it doesn't wipe data for you guys, then that's a security risk and you should be contacting Google. Because if you lose your phone, someone can oem unlock your phone and go through your data.
Last edited by DOHCtor; 15th May 2012 at 10:04 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
format, galaxy nexus, gsm, unlock bootloader, usa
Previous Thread Next Thread