5,605,026 Members 34,515 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Finally, hardware accelerated web browser!

Tip us?

Rythmyc
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Yep, looks like fail button pressing to me as well. Notice how he had to move the screen to get the buttons to show up again before he hit home again?

Device: Samsung Droid Charge
Rom: GummyCharged GBE 1.9RC2.3 EP1W Radios Personalized
Kernel: IMoseON's .22 Repacked Kernel

ptscon
Old
(Last edited by ptscon; 30th October 2011 at 06:55 AM.)
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericc191 View Post
The browsing looking really impressive, however going from portrait to landscape and vice versa looks to be a little slow.
I think it's made to take that long so you don't accidentally start flipping things around when you don't really want to. I'm sure they could make it flip much faster but decided to give it a delay.

Gallery app takes just as long.

peacekeeper05
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaid View Post
lol, no.

lol, no.
If that is not smooth then i don't know what smooth is. I am an ex iphone 4 user so it's easy for me to compare.and i hate iphone's browsing. Always freezing on heavy sites.
Smartphones:

Nokia N82>>LG Optimus One>>LG Optimus 2x>>LG optimus 3D>>HTC Desire HD>>Google Nexus S>>Apple Iphone 4>>SE Xperia Arc>>HTC Sensation (current)>>Galaxy Nexus>>Galaxy Note 2(still active)>>HTC One (retired)>>

Tablet:

Samsung Galaxy Tab>>Asus EePad Transformer TF101

DJTaurus
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericc191 View Post
When he was trying to hit the home button? No, he was accidentally pressing too far below.
0.22 WHEN he was trying to scroll in the multitask menu.

0.30 i see a small delay when he starts scrolling in the multitask menu.

TheSonicEmerald
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Just a note, I thought the browser fluidity was more based on the implemention of a caching store, not exactly GPU acceleration, according to Anandtech.

Sent from my Fascinate with MIUI Gingerbread
Touchwiz Rom: Never Again

DAILY - AOSP Rom: JT's Cyanogenmod 7 (Gingerbread 2.3) MTD Test#2 build, nemesis2all's OTB 6-10 CM7 kernel@1.3ghz
or
Andmer's MIUI (Gingerbread 2.3) MTD TEST#1
----------------------------------------------
"I've pulled my battery so many times my phone has more cosmetic flaws from doing so than from actually dropping it :/"
----------------------------------------------

hgrimberg
Old
Thanks Meter 2
So just now with ics, android is finally at the same level as ios. It took years for the google engineers to develop gpu acceleration?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

TonyHoyle
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgrimberg View Post
So just now with ics, android is finally at the same level as ios. It took years for the google engineers to develop gpu acceleration?

Nope.. it's been done in android before - Samsung had some phones that did it..

It's just taken this long to mandate its use. Which is quite understandable when you have to be able to support 50 phones which don't have much of a GPU to speak of as well as 500 uber phones.

hikarugo
Old
(Last edited by hikarugo; 30th October 2011 at 03:52 PM.)
Thanks Meter 604
Well, my GS2's browser is smoother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSonicEmerald View Post
Just a note, I thought the browser fluidity was more based on the implemention of a caching store, not exactly GPU acceleration, according to Anandtech.
Agree. That's how the iPhone's browser is smooth. It stores caches and use that cache while zooming so that the smoothness will be like zooming an image in thw gallery app. Not like android which still render while zooming

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

hgrimberg
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyHoyle View Post
Nope.. it's been done in android before - Samsung had some phones that did it..

It's just taken this long to mandate its use. Which is quite understandable when you have to be able to support 50 phones which don't have much of a GPU to speak of as well as 500 uber phones.
So I will have to view webpages on a Droid 3 as if I have a cheap $50 phone just because google thought that one size fits all was a better policy? That's mediocre thinking.

Galaid
Old
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikarugo View Post
Well, my GS2's browser is smoother.

Agree. That's how the iPhone's browser is smooth. It stores caches and use that cache while zooming so that the smoothness will be like zooming an image in thw gallery app. Not like android which still render while zooming

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
Iphone creates a picture of the webpage and you were right, it scrolls em smooth as in the gallery app. When you reach the boundary of the rendered picture, it quickly rerenders the rest of the page from the cache. From the movies, it's still not in Aosp, only in samsung stock roms.