5,598,657 Members 39,663 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Your thoughts for future GNEX Development

Tip us?

itasoulas
Old
(Last edited by itasoulas; 11th December 2013 at 12:03 AM.)
Recognized Themer - OP
Thanks Meter 4384

DONATE TO ME
Question Your thoughts for future GNEX Development

Even though Galaxy Nexus is no more officialy supported by Google and stuck at Android 4.3, KitKat Roms emerged quickly and evolve rapidly - thanks to our crazy devs!!! So how you all handling this? Still at 4.3... already jumped to a 4.4 rom?

I know it took a long way for 4.3 roms to reach that point where everything works near perfect and I think that Cataclysm or SlimBean are such examples. So, some will prefer the comfort of this instead of jumping into the unknown and start dealing with bugs and the trial and error procedure???

As I write this Android 4.4.2 is rolling to newer Nexus devices, my new Nexus 7 already running this and something tells me, since none of the factory images for 4.4.1 and 4.4.2 are officialy on google's page, that another update maybe coming soon. Since our phone is not officialy supported, devs will strugle merging new code to their sources and adapting it for gnex. How do you see this evolving?

To end this, it's been 2 years after the release of GNEX and our forum still is in the top 5 list. Quite impressive if you ask me. Tell that to Google... Galaxy Nexus is a legendary phone even though it's not the sharpest out there. And I am sure its "endurance" over time, will make it even more legendary!

PS: Working on a cool Zooper Skin. Will let u know when it's out!
Nexus 5 / Nexus 7 (2013) USER / Follow me on Google Plus

kaijura
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1813
It will continue, but the gnex population will gradually move on. The new incomers will not likely join at the rate the existing users leave to upgrade to a new device.
If it's any indication, Nexus One and Nexus S development are still continuing and they are older than the Galaxy Nexus. At some point when newer android versions get too resource intensive (KK tried to improve the memory management) then we will start seeing users preferring to stick with an older version.
Code:
Mako E960 4.4.2 KOT49H - OmniROM Official - Maguro SC-04D 4.3 JLS36G - OmniROM Unofficial - Maguro i9250M 4.4.2 KOT49H - OmniROM Homemade - Razor 4.4.2 KOT49H - OmniROM Official - Grouper 4.4.2 KOT49H - OmniROM Official

capt.ron
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I will continue with my Galaxy nexus and I'm still very happy with it especially so because of the talented developers here at XDA. I'm currently using the 4.4 KK rom : [ROM] [UNOFFICIAL] CyanogenMod 11 for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus with gapps 20131207. This ROM is now my daily driver and I won't be going back to 4.3

Thanks for this post, I'll subscribe!

itasoulas
Old
Recognized Themer - OP
Thanks Meter 4384

DONATE TO ME
myself, I've been thinking of sticking with Cataclysm for a while. But can I ask those who already use a 4.4 rom if they noticed any signifcant improvement on battery life or multitasking?
Nexus 5 / Nexus 7 (2013) USER / Follow me on Google Plus

kubes069
Old
Thanks Meter 33
wrong thread. sorry

jsgraphicart
Old
Thanks Meter 1238
Quote:
Originally Posted by itasoulas View Post
Even though Galaxy Nexus is no more officialy supported by Google and stuck at Android 4.3, KitKat Roms emerged quickly and evolve rapidly - thanks to our crazy devs!!! So how you all handling this? Still at 4.3... already jumped to a 4.4 rom?

I know it took a long way for 4.3 roms to reach that point where everything works near perfect and I think that Cataclysm or SlimBean are such examples. So, some will prefer the comfort of this instead of jumping into the unknown and start dealing with bugs and the trial and error procedure???

As I write this Android 4.4.2 is rolling to newer Nexus devices, my new Nexus 7 already running this and something tells me, since none of the factory images for 4.4.1 and 4.4.2 are officialy on google's page, that another update maybe coming soon. Since our phone is not officialy supported, devs will strugle merging new code to their sources and adapting it for gnex. How do you see this evolving?

To end this, it's been 2 years after the release of GNEX and our forum still is in the top 5 list. Quite impressive if you ask me. Tell that to Google... Galaxy Nexus is a legendary phone even though it's not the sharpest out there. And I am sure its "endurance" over time, will make it even more legendary!

PS: Working on a cool Zooper Skin. Will let u know when it's out!
I'm not one to sit by idly and wait for confirmation of a stable new Android version. When 4.4 was released I flashed it right away. Whats the fun in not "jumping into the unknown"?

I dont think small updates are that hard for developers to merge into our current builds. We are already on 4.4.1 and I'm sure that 4.4.2 will be on our devices soon as well.

KitKat has been running great on my device. I dont know of any issues we have now that havent been fixed yet.

alpha-niner64
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
I'm not one to sit by idly and wait for confirmation of a stable new Android version. Wn 4.4 was released I flashed it right away. Whats the fun in not "jumping into the unknown"?

I dont think small updates are that hard for developers to merge into our current builds. We are already on 4.4.1 and I'm sure that 4.4.2 will be on our devices soon as well.

KitKat has been running great on my device. I dont know of any issues we have now that havent been fixed yet.
Well...my GPS could be better. I'm seeing at best 30ft accuracy with about 8 satellites locked in with pretty low SNR values.

Godra
Old
Thanks Meter 288
Im still on 4.3, Slimbean. Waiting for Slimkat to evolve just a litle bit more
Galaxy Nexus LiquidSmooth DirtyV
Xperia X8 Mini CM10 Nightly nAa-jb-kernel

jsgraphicart
Old
Thanks Meter 1238
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha-niner64 View Post
Well...my GPS could be better. I'm seeing at best 30ft accuracy with about 8 satellites locked in with pretty low SNR values.
I haven't had any issues with GPS. It pinpoints pretty fast for me.

And by the way, cyanogenmod just updated us to 4.4.2.

Vekhez
Old
Thanks Meter 157
I will be continuing to use my Galaxy Nexus until the 'Nexus 6', it can totally hold up to most of the competition. Currently using the last 4.4.1 Galaxy Nexus Maguro CM11 ROM with ASKP/Franco/Mpokang/Fancy/Stock kernel.