Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,401 Members 38,716 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy Nexus for $459.50 on Negri (NTT Docomo version)

Tip us?

jup007
Old
Thanks Meter 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgdg View Post

So, can I use your method to obtain real IMEI, just long enough for me to add the prepaid card in Wallet (adding prepaid card requires non-generic IMEI) and then switch back to generic IMEI? The reason I want to remain with generic IMEI is so Tmobile cannot block it from using it on tzones data plan.
Or does Wallet use check IMEI everytime it is used? If so, the above plan won't work...I would have to permanently obtain non-generic IMEI..

KG
I have no idea how google wallet works. And I won't help people spoof their IMEI. Whole idea of this thread is to go in opposite direction.

That said, there's more then enough info floating around...

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgdg View Post
The reason I want to remain with generic IMEI is so Tmobile cannot block it from using it on tzones data plan.
By the way I don't think Tmobile would block you by IMEI. This is not so straightforward and will just create problem if blocked person sells their phone, buys the new one etc. They will just block you SIM #, which is unique customer identifier. Carriers really don't use IMEI all that much, except for tracking stolen phones. For them you're identified by SIM.

pewpewbangbang
Old
Thanks Meter 273
I think they do look at IMEI for things like the "workaround" data plans......wouldn't really know tho as I just used the actual data plan, iPhone one actually as it works for all phones.

But yea.......been nice knowing you guys, I already switched over to a One X haha. Managed to trade my Nexus +$100 for a One X thru craigslist. Hell of a deal considering Nexus are starting to dip below $400

The GN development will be missed.....hopefully One X builds up fast

divinemyth99
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pewpewbangbang View Post
I think they do look at IMEI for things like the "workaround" data plans......wouldn't really know tho as I just used the actual data plan, iPhone one actually as it works for all phones.
Sure. If you're using an APN made for a sidekick or iPhone, they might look to see if you have a sidekick or iPhone IMEI. Neither your stock IMEI nor your generic Samsung IMEI match these devices and are equally likely to get you into trouble if T-Mobile gives a sh7t. From the little I've seen on Howard forums about APNs, I don't think they do.

But as someone else stated, they most definitely would block, charge, limit, or otherwise punish you via your SIM indentity, regardless of how they determine you are using the wrong APN. They aren't going to block your phone unless it's reported stolen.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

crazyykw
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I got this phone from usa and it was wrking well with at&t .. Now i came back to india and noticed that it does not connect to any network. Im thinking its coz of generic imei. Im on 4.0.4 build IMM76I . IM thinking of doing the following steps--
1. root the phone and have cwm using gnex toolkit
2. use the v2 of ****docomo app that works with 4.0.4 to lock the phone again.
3. reboot
4. use temporary unlock option 5. reboot.

will this work?? i saw this method in wow pow video on youtube .. now another problem is i dont have the unlock_backup file on my phone?? will this methd workk.. please suggest any method to restore even if temporary.. Im a noob.. someone please help .. i dont want a useless phone..:co nfused:

kizuki.buy
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyykw View Post
I got this phone from usa and it was wrking well with at&t .. Now i came back to india and noticed that it does not connect to any network. Im thinking its coz of generic imei. Im on 4.0.4 build IMM76I . IM thinking of doing the following steps--
1. root the phone and have cwm using gnex toolkit
2. use the v2 of ****docomo app that works with 4.0.4 to lock the phone again.
3. reboot
4. use temporary unlock option 5. reboot.

will this work?? i saw this method in wow pow video on youtube .. now another problem is i dont have the unlock_backup file on my phone?? will this methd workk.. please suggest any method to restore even if temporary.. Im a noob.. someone please help .. i dont want a useless phone..:co nfused:
Well dont worry. Thanks to genius called jup007, you should be able to restore the IMEI and keep the unlock status. Just follow the steps to the letter from the below post..
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1606982

But I am very curious about why your phone does not work in India, since I am planning to travel to India in near future with a Galaxy Nexus as my phone.

Have you checked, if its not the radio or some setting? You can try flashing the international radio taking help from this thread which has support for all the bands supported by GNex,
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1405345

Also, you can try to check the settings (or service menu *#*#4636#*#*) to confirm that 2G networks are also allowed and its not set to WCDMA Only, since most of the network providers in India are 2G.

Once you get your phone to work in India, please do post the feedback and how exactly were you able to get it done.
The Following User Says Thank You to kizuki.buy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

crazyykw
Old
(Last edited by crazyykw; 28th April 2012 at 07:49 AM.)
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kizuki.buy View Post
Well dont worry. Thanks to genius called jup007, you should be able to restore the IMEI and keep the unlock status. Just follow the steps to the letter from the below post..
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1606982

But I am very curious about why your phone does not work in India, since I am planning to travel to India in near future with a Galaxy Nexus as my phone.

Have you checked, if its not the radio or some setting? You can try flashing the international radio taking help from this thread which has support for all the bands supported by GNex,
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1405345

Also, you can try to check the settings (or service menu *#*#4636#*#*) to confirm that 2G networks are also allowed and its not set to WCDMA Only, since most of the network providers in India are 2G.

Once you get your phone to work in India, please do post the feedback and how exactly were you able to get it done.
The curious thing is that im getting 2g coverage(im getting emails and i can use the net but cant call) but signal strength for calling is not there... it just shows a cross. I dont know what to make of it.. I ll see all the things that u told me and get back to you .. And ive seen the thread for jup007 but that is way too complex for me.. I was just wondering if http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QtBK...feature=relmfu
this method would work for me as i dont have the backup file?? ny ideas??

kizuki.buy
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
The curious thing is that im getting 2g coverage(im getting emails and i can use the net but cant call) but signal strength for calling is not there... it just shows a cross. I dont know what to make of it.. I ll see all the things that u told me and get back to you .. And ive seen the thread for jup007 but that is way too complex for me.. I was just wondering if http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QtBK...feature=relmfu
Can you check your phone information and post the radio that is being used?

The method posted by you should work, but with backup files it can be tricky. I think jup's method is not so complex. Just a little lengthy but works perfectly.

But if it was an IMEI issue, why would you be getting data coverage and get banned only from voice coverage?

pixelator
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
The curious thing is that im getting 2g coverage(im getting emails and i can use the net but cant call) but signal strength for calling is not there... it just shows a cross. I dont know what to make of it.. I ll see all the things that u told me and get back to you .. And ive seen the thread for jup007 but that is way too complex for me.. I was just wondering if
I have the exact same problem. Got a friend to buy the Galaxy Nexus from the US and when I turned it on here in India, it just won't connect to any of the mobile networks.

I went to a Samsung service center in the city today morning. They pointed out the problem with the generic IMEI number and said they have ordered a new number. I am supposed to take the phone back to them in a couple of days to get it updated. The problem though, is that they're saying the new IMEI will only work in India. I won't be able to use the phone abroad.

If you do figure out a way to fix the IMEI on your phone, please do post the process and results here. I've tried to follow the process in the video and the other thread by jup007, but am not sure I get it.

kizuki.buy
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelator View Post
I have the exact same problem. Got a friend to buy the Galaxy Nexus from the US and when I turned it on here in India, it just won't connect to any of the mobile networks.

I went to a Samsung service center in the city today morning. They pointed out the problem with the generic IMEI number and said they have ordered a new number. I am supposed to take the phone back to them in a couple of days to get it updated. The problem though, is that they're saying the new IMEI will only work in India. I won't be able to use the phone abroad.

If you do figure out a way to fix the IMEI on your phone, please do post the process and results here. I've tried to follow the process in the video and the other thread by jup007, but am not sure I get it.
You should be fine if you follow jup007's method to get the original IMEI back. In fact you do not even need to connect the Gnex to the PC if you use apps like Terminal emulator and ES File Explorer.

But how will the Samsung guys prevent you from using phone outside India. Phones are not sim locked in India and just by IMEI, how will they prevent its use outside India. Seems very strange.

crazyykw
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelator View Post

Do tell me what the samsung people did to your phone and also which video are you talking about?? I also tried to follow the process in jup007 but im not sure if i just have to exexute some commands or copy some stuff also.. it would be great if someone made a noobs video or simple tutorial