Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,666 Members 39,731 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy Nexus and DuckDuckGo..

Tip us?
 
Silverbrain
Old
(Last edited by Silverbrain; 10th June 2014 at 02:59 AM.)
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 24
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sacramento
Talking Galaxy Nexus and DuckDuckGo..

Having heard the latest news that Apple was going to be pushing DuckDuckGo instead of Google as their search of choice, I decided to give the site a go, see how good it was. My latest general search inquiries have been about Cyanogenmod on my Verizon Galaxy Nexus (toro) and it didn't take me very long to come to my conclusion upon using the site.....



Apparently it completely skips Cyanogenmod, and focuses on Toro...I have a feeling I wouldn't get much help going this route. Google has XDA first up.

Thought this was funny, thought I'd share.
 
charlie95113
Old
#2  
charlie95113's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 180
Posts: 1,096
Join Date: Dec 2010
Its all privacy at the end man I can see why apple would go that route, they gotta keep track somehow

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
 
Silverbrain
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 24
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sacramento
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie95113 View Post
Its all privacy at the end man I can see why apple would go that route, they gotta keep track somehow

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
And I get that. But I personally am willing to give up some of my info to get more pertinent results that save me time / money. It's the trade off, privacy for efficiency.

Just to test, even if I pop into Google in a virtual machine, no history, not logged in and type "cyanogenmod tor" the next word suggestions are toroplus, toro m5, and toro gapps. 1st link is the download, 5th link down is XDA. So it's duckduck isn't even close on the very first search I throw at it. Granted, it is a technical search for people not inclined to use Apple in the first place. im rambling. hope you get where im going.
 
charlie95113
Old
#4  
charlie95113's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 180
Posts: 1,096
Join Date: Dec 2010
Well it depends on what you search my friend but look at the bright side maybe now that apple will support it it will eventually expand

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
 
Silverbrain
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 24
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sacramento
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie95113 View Post
Well it depends on what you search my friend but look at the bright side maybe now that apple will support it it will eventually expand

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
Competition is always healthy! Cheers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Silverbrain For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
faber_93
Old
#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 9
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbrain View Post
Competition is always healthy! Cheers.
you're right
 
ashclepdia
Old
#7  
ashclepdia's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,524
Posts: 4,385
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: under philadelphia above Delaware, beer heaven

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbrain View Post
Competition is always healthy! Cheers.
that's what I was thinking
I believe duck duck go is the default search on Linux mint firefox also though already for a while now, or at least USEDto be, I haven't tried new releases yet of mint. granted it isn't as popular as Apple products, but with more and.more using it, maybe they will be able to improve their search algorithms. it's hard to compete with Google search. hell even Bing seems to face adversity in becoming VERY widely used(I'm talking to the point that people use the name as a VERB... i.e "just Google it" lol) and Microsoft throws Bing in your face everywhere you turn, with a rewards program where you get points for free gift cards and such JUST for USING bing search for ANYTHING
so we can see that it's tough to build a good algorithm for searches when you aren't being used nearly as much as all the competition that have been around for a while already(namely Google, yahoo, Bing, come to mind along with others)

would be nice to see a privacy focused search company able to become easier to use and a viable alternative....aaannnd I'm ramblings again lol
Off topic gone??? Mods got you down??? Visit motcher41's
Google+ Droid Friends & General Help Community
Anyone and virtually anything welcome there!
My GALAXY NEXUS(huzzah!) is running

Don't get left in the dark!
 
latenightchameleon
Old
#8  
latenightchameleon's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 108
Posts: 154
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Toronto
Whatever. Either way Google's monopolized the search engine industry for a while
 
Silverbrain
Old
#9  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 24
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sacramento
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashclepdia View Post
that's what I was thinking
I believe duck duck go is the default search on Linux mint firefox also though already for a while now, or at least USEDto be, I haven't tried new releases yet of mint. granted it isn't as popular as Apple products, but with more and.more using it, maybe they will be able to improve their search algorithms. it's hard to compete with Google search. hell even Bing seems to face adversity in becoming VERY widely used(I'm talking to the point that people use the name as a VERB... i.e "just Google it" lol) and Microsoft throws Bing in your face everywhere you turn, with a rewards program where you get points for free gift cards and such JUST for USING bing search for ANYTHING
so we can see that it's tough to build a good algorithm for searches when you aren't being used nearly as much as all the competition that have been around for a while already(namely Google, yahoo, Bing, come to mind along with others)

would be nice to see a privacy focused search company able to become easier to use and a viable alternative....aaannnd I'm ramblings again lol
Good point about Bing, never heard anyone say 'i yahoo'd it' or 'i askjeeved it'

Since afaik duckduckgo just pulls anonymous search results from various different search engines, google included, it's going to be up to the bing and yahoo that still do crawling to improve their results in order for duckduckgo to improve.

Cheers.
 
Shadow Death
Old
#10  
Shadow Death's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 327
Posts: 1,163
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Killeen, TX
Anyone else think that the only reason why Apple is pushing DuckDuckGo is because Google is a direct competitor in the Mobile market?


HTC One M8 - NuSenseSIX RC 1.2
Galaxy Nexus (Second Owner) - Whatever rom I feel like.
HTC Thunderbolt (Dead)

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Android M Mentions Spotted in Android Code Review

While we are still waiting for Android L to be officially released, the first mentions of … more

Create a Simple Custom Launcher from Scratch

When you are starting your journey intoany sort of development, it’s never easy at the … more

MediaTek Continues Steps Towards Being Developer-Friendly

Not too long ago MediaTek was very closed off towards the mobile developer … more