Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,276 Members 44,431 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Will you move to GSIII or stay with your Gnex?
Definitely NO! I'm stick to Nexus line till I die! 271 75.07%
Definitely YES! Cool phony! 16 4.43%
I will! But I also keep my Gnex! 26 7.20%
I'm a One X user and came here to troll ya all! 13 3.60%
I will be waiting for an iPhone 5 with JellyBean 35 9.70%
Voters: 361. You may not vote on this poll

Galaxy SIII came out! Are you impressed or disappointed?

Tip us?

Smokeey
Old
Thanks Meter 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidstyle View Post
Lack of support = compatibility issue then no?
Lack of support = Samsung not giving 2 ****s about other countries and their new LTE standard.

The Exynos chip can support LTE 700mhz (Block C VZW) given Samsung creates a chip for it. It's not that they just cant, they just aren't.

EDIT: Also, this thread SUCKS and doesn't belong in Galaxy Nexus General. I believe the Galaxy S III has its own section now.

"the definition of open: 'mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make'" -Andy Rubin

Devices:
Droid Incredible
Samsung Galaxy Nexus[LTE]
LG G2[T-Mobile]

zephiK
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4155

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by barondebxl View Post
I totally agree with you. The Galaxy S 2 development is one of the biggest ever for any android phone and there is no question that the Galaxy S3 will get great dev support. Anyone arguing this is either a hater or an idiot.
You must be talking about the INTERNATIONAL Galaxy S2. There are many variants of Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint).

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1329
T-Mobile Galaxy S2:
Threads: 129

Galaxy Nexus:
Threads: 137

Also you are missing out on the fact that. Even though there are ROMs for phones who haven't received the latest Android OS update, development is still very much crippled due to the fact that there isn't a updated kernel for the ROM. Whereas, Galaxy Nexus (and other Nexus devices) will have a updated kernel (in this case... it'd be 3.0.X kernels)
Follow me on Twitter! | VomerTweaks for OPO/N5 | Scrolling Mods for Various OPO Roms | Enable 1080p for YouTube

OnePlus One: Mahdi | Franco Kernel
Nexus 5: Mahdi | Franco Kernel
Older devices: Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus, TF101, Nexus S, Samsung Vibrant, G1

The Following User Says Thank You to zephiK For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

adrynalyne
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 5671
Quote:
I checked the one x forum and there is lots of complain about sense. Lag and sense restarting. Touchwiz is far more stable.

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

I totally agree with you. The Galaxy S 2 development is one of the biggest ever for any android phone and there is no question that the Galaxy S3 will get great dev support. Anyone arguing this is either a hater or an idiot.

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

Jesus man this is getting outta control LMFAO hahahahha

Anyone arguing that a device will have a huge following before it is even announced, much less released, is the real idiot.
If you like what I do, buy me a brew!

Smokeey
Old
Thanks Meter 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephiK View Post
You must be talking about the INTERNATIONAL Galaxy S2. There are many variants of Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint).

T-Mobile Galaxy S2:

Galaxy Nexus:

Also you are missing out on the fact that. Even though there are ROMs for phones who haven't received the latest Android OS update, development is still very much crippled due to the fact that there isn't a updated kernel for the ROM. Whereas, Galaxy Nexus (and other Nexus devices) will have a updated kernel (in this case... it'd be 3.0.X kernels)
Not to mention the fact that the GSII/III will cease to have development at some point and the Nexus phones will live on.

"the definition of open: 'mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make'" -Andy Rubin

Devices:
Droid Incredible
Samsung Galaxy Nexus[LTE]
LG G2[T-Mobile]

zephiK
Old
(Last edited by zephiK; 29th April 2012 at 03:08 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4155

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeey View Post
Not to mention the fact that the GSII/III will cease to have development at some point and the Nexus phones will live on.
This is EXACTLY what happened when I went from G1 -> Vibrant. G1 lasted for more than 2 years in terms of development. Development was dying, and all the ROMs were the same. All of them were based off TouchWiz and a lot of them were just themed TouchWiz. A lot of ROMs were based on TouchWiz and mimic'd its images and effects as AOSP but it wasn't AOSP.

And here's the information for AT&T Galaxy S2:
Threads: 118

Sprint Galaxy S2:
Treads: 243

International 9100 - Galaxy S2:
Threads: 304

.. Galaxy Nexus already has a higher count than many of it's variants. And even though we have three variants, we are very much connected and it is easy to port for toro and maguro.
Yes, International Galaxy S2 has a bigger count than Galaxy Nexus but look at how long it's been out compared to Galaxy Nexus. It is just the beginning, this forum will just only get bigger and bigger. Development for Nexus devices will always be striving.
Follow me on Twitter! | VomerTweaks for OPO/N5 | Scrolling Mods for Various OPO Roms | Enable 1080p for YouTube

barondebxl
Old
Thanks Meter 1475
Quote:

T-Mobile Galaxy S2:

Galaxy Nexus:

Yes I was talking about the international Galaxy S2. You're right about the updated kernel thing but still, the galaxy line attracts lots of dev attention so you will get support.

ckoadiyn
Old
Thanks Meter 900
Quote:
I checked the one x forum and there is lots of complain about sense. Lag and sense restarting. Touchwiz is far more stable.

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

Jesus man this is getting outta control LMFAO hahahahha
Some people are never happy I see people posting about lag in the gnex forum lol n I sit here thinking wtf

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium
TEAM MiK Since 12/18/10
The Following User Says Thank You to ckoadiyn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

barondebxl
Old
Thanks Meter 1475
Quote:
This is EXACTLY what happened when I went from G1 -> Vibrant. G1 lasted for more than 2 years in terms of development. Development was dying, and all the ROMs were the same. All of them were based off TouchWiz and a lot of them were just themed TouchWiz. A lot of ROMs were based on TouchWiz and mimic'd its images and effects as AOSP but it wasn't AOSP.

And here's the information for AT&T Galaxy S2:
Threads: 118

Sprint Galaxy S2:
Treads: 243

International 9100 - Galaxy S2:
Threads: 304

.. Galaxy Nexus already has a higher count than many of it's variants. And even though we have three variants, we are very much connected and it is easy to port for toro and maguro.
Yes, International Galaxy S2 has a bigger count than Galaxy Nexus but look at how long it's been out compared to Galaxy Nexus. It is just the beginning, this forum will just only get bigger and bigger. Development for Nexus devices will always be striving.
Yea but personally I don't keep a phone for two years so I wouldn't worry about that. I usually buy a phone a few months after it gets release, enjoy it then sell it and move on to the next one. I think a lot of people are doing the same. But no question that nexus devices are great for development.

zephiK
Old
(Last edited by zephiK; 29th April 2012 at 03:16 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4155

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Yes I was talking about the international Galaxy S2. You're right about the updated kernel thing but still, the galaxy line attracts lots of dev attention so you will get support.
Well I know that U.S.A isn't the "world." But from an American standpoint, it'll be better for us to stick with Nexus devices because carriers screw us in the end.
@barondebxl: I try and stick with a phone for two years but with the massive development in phones' hardware. It's hard to stick with the same phone. But I think I'm going to be sticking with the Galaxy Nexus for awhile. It's specifications as it is is already amazing but I already know nexus 4 will be difficult. Especially if it's at a $400 price range once again vai Play Store.

My point on what I'm saying is that, "once a Nexus, always a Nexus." That's my quote and I'll stand by it I'll be a Nexus fanboy, it stands by what everybody in the XDA community want.

- Good dev support (ROM/Kernels)
- Latest updates via Google
- Latest hardware at the time[debatable.... since it's launch date is Q4 of the year]

barondebxl
Old
Thanks Meter 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckoadiyn View Post
Some people are never happy I see people posting about lag in the gnex forum lol n I sit here thinking wtf

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium
Yea I know but for the one x it really is an issue right now as sense is just too much of a resource hog. I saw this vid on YouTube and this dude one x was reloading every time he was exiting an app. And as far as lag, let's say the nexus lags( which I don't think but just for the sake of argument) ,its a dual core vs the one x with all those cores and that tegra 3 GPU so you don't expect any lag there.

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe