Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,692 Members 52,265 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is it just me, or do games run badly on ICS?

Tip us?

HinotoriBR
Old
Thanks Meter 76
I use a GSM Galaxy Nexus, stock, no overclock, no frills, just rooted to use Titanium Backup, never had any lags in Fruit Ninja, runs fine... Temple Run, ocasionally will stutter, but it is rare and most of the time I just play 20, 30 times and no stutter at all... GTA III also plays fine.

Obviously it is not the best performer, and, as you probably now, there is the same iPhone 4 GPU under the hood of our devices, only that it got extra memory bandwidth and extra clock to perform better (and also a HD screen that will eat-up some of this extra performance)... But I believe, at least as far as my own experience goes, that it is a decent performer, altough there are better alternatives as far as gaming goes (and I would believe that probably HTC One X would be the best Android gaming phone alternative as far as graphic performance is concerned right now).

adrynalyne
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 5671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baguett View Post
Temple Run is lagging when you play it for a while, same with many other 3D games....
I've played it long enough to unlock most characters, and all powerups maxed. Never lagged once.
If you like what I do, buy me a brew!

adrynalyne
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 5671
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetsumeikuro View Post
384 is the stock clock =/= 2x gpu clock. Even then it only makes a 5-6 fps differnece in most circumstances. Could have better results in different apps but nenamark i saw a 5-6 fps difference.
Actually, 307mhz is because Google underclocked it, stock.

miketoasty
Old
Thanks Meter 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrynalyne View Post
I've played it long enough to unlock most characters, and all powerups maxed. Never lagged once.
I have almost the same exact scenario, unlocked almost everything with no lag issues what so ever.

taylerdurden
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetsumeikuro View Post
384 is the stock clock =/= 2x gpu clock. Even then it only makes a 5-6 fps differnece in most circumstances. Could have better results in different apps but nenamark i saw a 5-6 fps difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoasty View Post
I have almost the same exact scenario, unlocked almost everything with no lag issues what so ever.
It doesn´t lag, bit it run like at 25fps or so, not as smooth as 60fps (I am refering when there are many coins in the screen and you are running too fast)

adrynalyne
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 5671
How are you quantifying that it runs at 25fps? Is there a fps counter somewhere?
The Following User Says Thank You to adrynalyne For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

blockbusta
Old
(Last edited by blockbusta; 17th April 2012 at 05:45 PM.)
Thanks Meter 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baguett View Post
Temple Run is lagging when you play it for a while, same with many other 3D games....
nope, not for me. it runs even smoother than the version for the iphone :P.
maybe the gpu in the nexus is not the fastest one, maybe there are other phones that are much faster.... I DON'T CARE! i didn't bought my nexus to play games all day, i bought it to synchronize my calender, my notes, make calls and write sms and maybe some internet surfing.

you also all bought this phone, so why complain? it's like buying yourself a motorbike and then complaining about the fact that it only has 2 wheels.
GALAXY S--> GALAXY NEXUS --> GALAXY S3 --> ONE X --> MOTO G
The Following User Says Thank You to blockbusta For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MikeDaSpike
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Enabling Force GPU acceleration in the developer options under Settings might improve the performance of some games. Although it will might also make some games look weird.

adrynalyne
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 5671
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDaSpike View Post
Enabling Force GPU acceleration in the developer options under Settings might improve the performance of some games. Although it will might also make some games look weird.
Games are already GPU accelerated. You can't doubly accelerate them

nonione
Old
Thanks Meter 164
i play gta iii, MC3, wind-up knight, shadow gun and fifa and no lag whatsoever

oh and drawsome too lol!
I've been granted superuser permissions!!!

Follow me on twitter @noniwun!!!