Who am I gonna be seeing in the fifth Nexus phones section come the end of this year?

Search This thread

Nephilim

Aug 16, 2010
Milwaukee
Nope. XDA isn't held to the standard Google is. While a custom ROM or mod might pass even with a broken feature or bug but Google can't handle the bad PR.

That's not exactly what I meant. I moreso was saying that it can be done and with Google standards. ;)

Sent from my AK Dummy Powered AOSPA Galaxy Nexus

Mach3.2

May 1, 2012
Singapore
Only gripe is the huge ass NEXUS behind the device, i prefer the back to be clean.

Make others wonder that phone/tablet you're using.

shahrukhraza

Jan 12, 2012
I sure hope that I could get it.. Definitely not getting the nexus 4.. This thing will do for a year!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Nephilim

greeced

Jan 26, 2010
I will only buy a newer device if it has a distinctive advantage over the GNEX. Slightly faster speed (as in waiting on my GNEX a second longer to do something) wouldn't be enough for me to change.

The new Nexus would have to have a Wow feature that would be pretty much unusable in the GNEX to have me switch.

With that said, the new Nexus has to be legitimately different in looks and style than any other phone made by the selected manufacturer. The Nexus 4 is a copy of the Optimus (or close enough), while the GNex was different than the other Samsungs (eg. no home button).

Finally, to the point made about Google growing some "balls" and forcing all device makers to only make Vanilla phones would be suicide for device makers. There wouldn't be anything to differentiate one brand from the other as they will all look and operate the exact same when the screen turns on.

While this isn't a big deal for the XDA community as you can customize it to your liking, a non-XDA user who walks into a store will see 15 "Nexus's" with no real reason to choose one over the other. Really there's no need to have that many phones that have different shapes and sizes if they all operate the same.

Part of the appeal to non-XDA users is going to a carrier store and seeing TouchWiz, or Sense, or what have you, and buying one as per your personal preference. Non "Power" users don't know Sense and TouchWiz stink (IMO), just like the way it looks.

To that end, I truly hope Google doesn't do the Regional Phone Nexus's again like they have ours. A Nexus should be a Nexus. All updated by Google. Everyone on Yakju or whatever they will call it... Not Yakjuux or Yakjuus or whatever. Everyone should have the same Nexus experience, at the exact same time.

M

m.kochan10

I

With that said, the new Nexus has to be legitimately different in looks and style than any other phone made by the selected manufacturer. The Nexus 4 is a copy of the Optimus (or close enough), while the GNex was different than the other Samsungs (eg. no home button).

But... speaking about the shape LG Optimus G and Nexus 4 look almost totally different. All Nexus devices have this typical rounded -(egg-like) shape while Optimus G is perfectly rectangular (more like galaxy S2 than any nexus). The glassy back is the only thing that makes both devices resemble one another. Specs are quite similar indeed, but I cannot understand how it can be considered as a disadvantage. Optimus G is hardwarewise probably the most powerful device on the smartphone market now. (Quad-core S4 kicks quad Exynoss 4xxxx fair and square.)

Last edited:

crixley

May 25, 2012
I will only buy a newer device if it has a distinctive advantage over the GNEX. Slightly faster speed (as in waiting on my GNEX a second longer to do something) wouldn't be enough for me to change.

The new Nexus would have to have a Wow feature that would be pretty much unusable in the GNEX to have me switch.

Finally, to the point made about Google growing some "balls" and forcing all device makers to only make Vanilla phones would be suicide for device makers. There wouldn't be anything to differentiate one brand from the other as they will all look and operate the exact same when the screen turns on.

While this isn't a big deal for the XDA community as you can customize it to your liking, a non-XDA user who walks into a store will see 15 "Nexus's" with no real reason to choose one over the other. Really there's no need to have that many phones that have different shapes and sizes if they all operate the same.

Part of the appeal to non-XDA users is going to a carrier store and seeing TouchWiz, or Sense, or what have you, and buying one as per your personal preference. Non "Power" users don't know Sense and TouchWiz stink (IMO), just like the way it looks.

To that end, I truly hope Google doesn't do the Regional Phone Nexus's again like they have ours. A Nexus should be a Nexus. All updated by Google. Everyone on Yakju or whatever they will call it... Not Yakjuux or Yakjuus or whatever. Everyone should have the same Nexus experience, at the exact same time.

I hated touchwiz but I have been using a multi-window touchwiz rom on my s3, and newer touchwiz is actually light and very smooth.

greeced

Jan 26, 2010
Thats just it -- some people hate this/other people hate that... some don't even think about updates at all and run the phone its entire life the way they have received it.

So variety in different set-ups, manufacturers and the like are a good revenue channel for these manufacturers.

But a nexus is a nexus. Google should have the power over carriers to have one device. If the carrier is not onboard, then don't carry it. Which is why I think the Nexus 4 was sold exclusively on the play store (I haven't seen it anywhere else for sale).

The Nexus is a niche phone... Its not as mainstream as the other Androids, but still the best one to have.

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

But... speaking about the shape LG Optimus G and Nexus 4 look almost totally different. All Nexus devices have this typical rounded -(egg-like) shape while Optimus G is perfectly rectangular (more like galaxy S2 than any nexus). The glassy back is the only thing that makes both devices resemble one another. Specs are quite similar indeed, but I cannot understand how it can be considered as a disadvantage. Optimus G is hardwarewise probably the most powerful device on the smartphone market now. (Quad-core S4 kicks quad Exynoss 4xxxx fair and square.)
I may have mispoke on this, I only restated what I've read, not actually looking at both devices.

That being said, The GNEX when it came out had its own screen size. And I still don't think that Samsung to date has a phone with that size format. Maybe bigger, longer, smaller, shorter, but not the same.

Mind you with phones now a days and their fortress'd protectors on them, its generally hard to tell each apart anyway.

msavic6

Jun 28, 2010
Vancouver
I have been hearing good things about the newer touch wiz on the note 2. My friend who got a nexus around the same time as me shared my hate for touch wiz but he has since switched to the note 2 and actually loves the touch wiz ui and he says it just works well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Nephilim

Aug 16, 2010
Milwaukee
WOW! I really like how this thread is turning out. I love hearing different peoples takes on what we should be seeing in future Nexus phones and what people think about different systemUI's.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. :D

electro`

Oct 12, 2012
Garner
Just gonna drop this image here...
android-qualcomm-leak.jpg

If you haven't seen or heard, Qualcomm had an image leaked of a processor timeline for Android and other phones.
It's hinting that Key Lime Pie is for sure and that it will most likely drop at Google I/O in May.
And I wish I knew what handset they are showing for KLP.

Reactions: TheOozyMan

bmg1001

Mar 18, 2012
Los Angeles
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7
Moto X will not be a nexus programme, no direct aosp support and stock fastboot images, but a very close vanilla rom so quick upgrade path from Moto(<fingers crossed>)

What? I'm confused. How do you know the Motorola X Phone won't be a Nexus? Google owns Motorola don't they? The chances that its the next nexus is greater than other OEMS having a go at it.

Last edited:

ChevyNexus

Oct 1, 2011
Toledo
Gotta be a Moto for me to want it. After the radio issues with Sammy and the let down on the camera and sound...gotta be a Moto! :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jadephyre

Jan 30, 2008
Moers
Samsung Galaxy A33
AW: Who am I gonna be seeing in the fifth Nexus phones section come the end of this y

Gotta be a Moto for me to want it. After the radio issues with Sammy and the let down on the camera and sound...gotta be a Moto! :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

A phone with an unlockable bootloader right out of the box... that would be a first for Motorola.
I won't be buying a Nexus if Motorola makes it, i'm still angry at them that they went back on their word of making the european version of the Droid Razr unlockable.

sent from my Nexus 7

W

WiredPirate

A phone with an unlockable bootloader right out of the box... that would be a first for Motorola.
I won't be buying a Nexus if Motorola makes it, i'm still angry at them that they went back on their word of making the european version of the Droid Razr unlockable.

sent from my Nexus 7

Yeah in my experience Moto just flat out lies to the media and their customers so shamelessly. It's one thing to have good intentions that never come to fruition, but that's never been the case with Moto. Phone after phone they literally just tell the media whatever they want to hear while they have their fingers crossed behind their back and then laugh all the way to the bank.

jadephyre

Jan 30, 2008
Moers
Samsung Galaxy A33
@WiredPirate

and that's really a shame, since their phones usually have a very high build quality.
The Droid Razr was excellent in terms of its build, nothing squeaked, nothing rattled and the screen was gorgeous... but without an unlockable Bootloader it was useless (it was so heavily encrypted that reverse-engineering could have taken years).
I sold it again after three months.

Chyrio

Jun 9, 2010

Yup I just dropped my nexus for a optimus g and it truly kicks the **** out of everything even with ics

Sent from my G

Nephilim

Aug 16, 2010
Milwaukee
One thing I honestly wish google would push on all OEM's is softkeys, after getting my Gnex there is absolutely no way I could see myself using another phone with hardkeys or capacitive keys. This makes my options very slim, I pretty much have to get a Nexus device. (not like I want anything else anyway though) :D

shiznu

Feb 20, 2012
Passed on the N4 really want the new Nexus to be the one. Here's to hoping all the stars align and whoever builds it puts out a quality product with at least 16gb storage minimum.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all, I've been a member here on XDA for almost 3yrs now and I've frequented multiple sections depending on the device(s) I was/am using at the time.

I have to say, the Galaxy Nexus community is by far my favorite hands down.

So I ask, Who can I expect to see in the next nexus section when google releases the 2013 iteration of the Nexus Flagship Device?

I really am hoping a lot of you that I have grown to love chatting with all are there with me. I passed on the Nexus 4 because frankly, I don't see enough innovation over my Gnex to deem it worth purchasing, thus why I am waiting for the follow-up device we most likely can all expect come around November of this year.

I just cannot see myself getting anything but a Google flagship vanilla phone after owning this fantastic device, nothing compares to the development, themes, kernels etc available. Not to mention we get the newest versions of everything first as well.

Anyway, Who's gonna be in the new forum right there with me when the "Nexus 5 aka 2013 Nexus" arrives?

*on a sidenote, I can only imagine what the AOSPA Team and AK Team is going to bring to the table. :D
    Depends on wether LG will make it... if so, then no, I will not buy the new Nexus.
    Any other company like Samsung, Motorola or Sony or even HTC though would be fine by me.
    if its by lg and samsung not me :eek:, i want some good quality body like by moto and sony :good:, had enough of plastic since nexus s, miss my moto milestone so much :(

Not a fan of LG but Samsung makes a quality phone in a lightweight container. I have never liked Motorola, always found their devices to be crap (just my opinion though). Sony or HTC for the next Nexus device and I'll be a happy camper. Although, I will get one if Samsung makes it again too.

Who am I kidding, if it's a nexus device google oversees the whole process so I will buy it regardless of the brand. :p
    depends on who makes it, but as of now, i plan on it.
    chances are, I will be there. but it all depends. the nexus 4 is a great device, but i am assuming the 2013 nexus is going to be 5"1080P, quad core, 13mp camera, huge battery, 2+GB ram ect. its going to be hard to stay away from it....no matter who makes it.