Tip us?

Neo3D
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 219
Thumbs down Google Nexus Phones Contain NSA Code

http://www.democracynow.org/2013/7/1...e#.Ud9OIJLPBzk

NSA Writes Code Used in Google Phone
The tech giant Google has confirmed the National Security Agency furnished some of the code installed in its new Android phone. The NSA says the code is intended to enhance security against hackers and marketers, but will not confirm whether it also aids the agency’s PRISM program monitoring the global Internet.

Is it possible for custom ROM developers to remove this code?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Neo3D For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

beekay201
Old
Thanks Meter 1096
Should be on AOSP, if so it should be easy to revert the related commits.

a maguro wrote this.
hammerhead/Omni-KOT49H/stock#3.4.0/M8974A-1.0.25.0.23
maguro/aosp-KRT16O/custom#3.0.101/XXLJ1
manta/stock-KRT16S/custom#3.4.39
tf201/cm10-NIGHTLY#20120820/stock#2.6.39.4
XDA forum rules here
bug report? logcat and /proc/kmsg, or it "never happened".
How TO Ask questions on the Internet
aosp-maguro READFIRST here (credit: efrant)
aosp-gnex READSECOND here (credit: efrant)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beekay201 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bodh
Old
Thanks Meter 81
For those who want to know more: http://www.businessweek.com/articles...id-nsa-edition
The Following User Says Thank You to bodh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Neo3D
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 219
Since it's "open source" can we see what the NSA code put in there and what their intentions are?

Neo3D
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodh View Post
crap, I hate to say this but...

Quote:
“Apple (AAPL) does not accept source code from any government agencies for any of our operating systems or other products,”
way to go Apple!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neo3D For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bodh
Old
Thanks Meter 81
I'll bet some flames are a-comin'! I'd be treating that apple remark as PR, plus they run unix, rather than linux, correct? The part that most reassures me is, 'Jeff Zemlin, the executive director of the Linux Foundation, says the NSA didn’t add any obvious means of eavesdropping. “This code was peer-reviewed by a lot of people," he says.' Essentially, I view this as the upcoming SELinux additions, at least at this present moment.
The Following User Says Thank You to bodh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fahadsul3man
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo3D View Post
crap, I hate to say this but...

way to go Apple!
yes but their devices 'accidentally' leak personal info , btw even if NSA looks at the data then so what ? i never did any thing wrong so why should i be worried ?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fahadsul3man For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Neo3D
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahadsul3man View Post
yes but their devices 'accidentally' leak personal info , btw even if NSA looks at the data then so what ? i never did any thing wrong so why should i be worried ?
That's like saying, "I'm not gay, so why should I care about DOMA and gay rights?"
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Neo3D For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Spicyryan
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
This is exactly the wrong sort of logic to apply to this sort of thing. Think about it, and I mean really think about it and do you really think it is fine to have your data scrutinized.

Not doing anything wrong should be even more of a reason to you to have that mystical unicorn called privacy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spicyryan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Semantics
Old
Thanks Meter 371
Quote:
Would you mind if the police kicked your door down and tossed your house without a warrant? You didn't do anything wrong, so you wouldn't have to worry about getting into trouble.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Semantics For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]