5,814,633 Members 53,419 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

GSM Galaxy Nexus on AT & T medianet

Tip us?

biggiep
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Oh my god I can't believe this is happening, I just got owned by AT&T too after using the GN for 2 months without issue on the feature phone data plan. God help us all.

hyperlite1604
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I got the text today too. I have been using the medianet plan for a while now. The same thing happened to me with my Nexus One.

dawgpound6985
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperlite1604 View Post
I got the text today too. I have been using the medianet plan for a while now. The same thing happened to me with my Nexus One.
How did you extend it onto your Nexus? Or did it get flagged on the Nexus One then you asked them to put it back then got a Nexus? I've been using it for a while as well and this is the first time I've gotten flagged. So far its been reverted but I haven't popped my sim back into the Nexus yet.

loudmax20
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I've been on the Medianet plan since June using about 5-7Gigs a month with my Nexus and today I had a text "Did you know a data plan is required for your smartphone? We have added an appropriate data plan for you." and they switched me to the 3GB plan. Oh well I guess it was good while it lasted. T-Mobile Unlimited 4G here I come!

tighr
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I was just flagged today, as well. My billing cycle ends tomorrow, so I'm "prorated' for today it looks like. I also got placed on the 3GB/mo plan.

I've had my Galaxy Nexus since January.

My contract has been expired for over 4 years now, so I'm free to leave at anytime. I'm thinking about checking out Verizon, and if I can get a decent phone there I'm going to sell my Galaxy Nexus and move on. This was the last straw for me with AT&T; I get terrible cell service (just dropped a call with my father twice) in my city, and it's horrible really nationwide. I really don't want to sign a new contract with AT&T, even if I just turned around and sold the phone on eBay.
Motorola Droid Razr MAXX HD (Verizon)
Galaxy Nexus GSM* (AT&T)
Motorola Milestone* (AT&T)

Toad858
Old
Thanks Meter 8
WTF? I got flagged today also. This blows. Well i guess att made this decision for me. Come november 27 when my contract is up, hello tmobile or ST. I still have yet to decide... I wonder how they found out. I gave em an imei from an old tmobile phone, not once did i give em my gnex imei.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Elsydeon
Old
(Last edited by Elsydeon; 5th October 2012 at 03:28 AM.)
Thanks Meter 156

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad858 View Post
WTF? I got flagged today also. This blows. Well i guess att made this decision for me. Come november 27 when my contract is up, hello tmobile or ST. I still have yet to decide... I wonder how they found out. I gave em an imei from an old tmobile phone, not once did i give em my gnex imei.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
I suspect Google freely hands over all of the IMEIs to AT&T for all the phones they sell from their Play store. I'm honestly very surprised the Gnex wasn't flagged the day they started selling it in the Play store in fact. It happened with the previous Nexus S and Nexus One after all.

I've literally spent the past few years jumping from phone to phone, picking the most obscure ones, just to dodge this IMEI sweep, there are times when I feel like just giving in and letting them stick me with a legit data plan. Being on Medianet means I haven't been able to get certain popular phones I'd really like to try. It sucks that AT&T's picking up all of the latest flagship phones from every brand too, like the Note II, Xperia T, and now the Optimus G, it makes it even more difficult to find something nice that's also obscure.

bozzykid
Old
Thanks Meter 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsydeon View Post
I suspect Google freely hands over all of the IMEIs to AT&T for all the phones they sell from their Play store.
Actually, AT&T just needs to verify one Galaxy Nexus phone's IMEI and they can detect any GN phones on their system. The manufacturer and model is embedded into the IMEI.

hyperlite1604
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgpound6985 View Post
How did you extend it onto your Nexus? Or did it get flagged on the Nexus One then you asked them to put it back then got a Nexus? I've been using it for a while as well and this is the first time I've gotten flagged. So far its been reverted but I haven't popped my sim back into the Nexus yet.
Well, I went from my nexus one to an inspire 4g to my galaxy nexus. After I got my galaxy nexus, I put my sim in an old flip phone to lower it back down to the medianet plan. Then I put the sim in the galaxy nexus which has been working fine until today.
The Following User Says Thank You to hyperlite1604 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

u921333
Old
Thanks Meter 91
Got hit for it too .