[GUIDE] Boot Android OS & Ubuntu OS without Wiping

Search This thread

urko95

May 7, 2010
Boot them without wiping anything
Android OS & Ubuntu Phone OS

Ubuntu-Phone-OS.jpg

Introduction

So, as the title says, here is a guide about how to be able to boot Android OS and Ubuntu Phone OS whenever you want, without loosing your data of both systems; concretely, CM 10.1 and Ubuntu Phone OS. If you don't want to fail in the process, read the whole post.

BIG THANKS TO BEIDL! He make it real this project, ALL THANKS FOR HIM!

If you want to boot Ubuntu (For example) you will have to flash a file and viceversa.

-ATENTION NOOBS-
We are not responsible of bricking your Nexus!

We will try to improve this progress in a near future

Steps

NOTE: This is an experimental way to have both systems without wiping, MAKE A BACKUP before you continue and, if something is wrong with this guide, post it and we will try to correct it.

What you need is...

Folow this steps:
  1. Flash CM 10.1 (Lastest Nightly recomended) -> You will have working CyanogenMod.
  2. Flash Ubuntu Phone OS without wiping (Both files, first armel+maguro and then phablet) -> Now, you will have working Ubuntu Phone OS
  3. Now you have both systems in the same ROM; so, if you want to come back to one of them...

• For Ubuntu Phone OS -> Flash once again armel+maguro.img
    • For Android OS -> Flash your favourite kernel and, if it doens't work, flash the whole CM 10.1 ROM again (Doens't take a long time)

So, once again, all credits for Beidl! :good:

NOTE: If you want to see how Beidl achieve it read this thread.

Last edited:

urko95

May 7, 2010
Original Post form Beidl

i didn't have time to play around with the proprietary blobs yet, but what i have tried so far on the go:

Completely reflashed ubuntu touch ontop of working cm 10.1 install without wipe -> no issues
reflashed cm 10.1 and booted into it -> no issues, no files or settings gone
reflashed ubuntu touch (quantal-preinstalled-armel+maguro.zip) -> no issues, no files or settings gone

so it is not a "real" dual-boot but it gets the job done.
That will continue to work as long as canonical doesn't require us to completely wipe our devices.

Oh, and if we want to make ubuntu touch run flawlessly we should start contributing to the upstream project
instead of doing our own custom roms and not contributing back. That way everybody benefits.

All credits to him!

mamenyaka

Jan 30, 2013
Tried flashing back to android with AK 704 kernel, no luck. Stuck on boot.

Last edited:

JKan Co

Mar 9, 2012
Re: [GUIDE] Dual Boot Project - Android OS & Ubuntu Phone OS

Wowww!!! This is amazing!!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

vitalero

Dec 10, 2011
Is it only me or you telling us to flash different ROM's every time to get different boot systems?
Why does this post even exist?

urko95

May 7, 2010

Is it only me or you telling us to flash different ROM's every time to get different boot systems?
Why does this post even exist?

No, I am telling you to flash both systems and then, if you wanna choose one of them, you have to flash their diferente kernels (armel+maguro.img) and, as there isn't CM 10.1's kernel extracted, you have to choose the whole ROM.

If we do what you say, we would loss data from both systems

Regards,

Urko

Enviado desde mi Galaxy Nexus usando Tapatalk 2

vitalero

Dec 10, 2011
OK so for CM10.1 you flash the whole ROM? so where is the difference from what i said ?

-Jesco-

Jun 28, 2012
you can flash pull the boot.img from cyanogen , then download a custom kernel zip , replace the kernel inside the zip with the one you pulled from CM . then flash the zip you made yourself , that would save you from reflashing rom .

urko95

May 7, 2010

you can flash pull the boot.img from cyanogen , then download a custom kernel zip , replace the kernel inside the zip with the one you pulled from CM . then flash the zip you made yourself , that would save you from reflashing rom .

OK so for CM10.1 you flash the whole ROM? so where is the difference from what i said ?

The diference is that /data is not wiped for non of both systems

I thought on pulling it but, as kernel could be changed by Cyano, I think it's a better idea to flash the lastes whole nightly. If anyone feel like pulling it and posting here everyday, tell me and I will post it.

Regards,

Urko

Reactions: vitalero

nudou350

Oct 20, 2012

What Kernel should i use? I use pirates 704, but the other guy had problems with it..

And what about gapps on cyanogen?

Last edited:

maxal

Jan 17, 2012
Southampton
Just want to check I have this right, Flash CM10.1 nightly stay in recovery mode and then flash the 2 Ubuntu files or do I flash CM10.1 and set it up first and then go back in to recovery and flash the 2 Ubuntu files, which is right?

urko95

May 7, 2010

Just want to check I have this right, Flash CM10.1 nightly stay in recovery mode and then flash the 2 Ubuntu files or do I flash CM10.1 and set it up first and then go back in to recovery and flash the 2 Ubuntu files, which is right?

Set up first CM 10.1 to see that data from both system persist without wipe.

urko95

May 7, 2010

What Kernel should i use? I use pirates 704, but the other guy had problems with it..

Try it with the kernel, if it doesn't work try flashing the whole CM 10.1 ROM.

Regards,

Urko

Reactions: nudou350

nudou350

Oct 20, 2012
How can I flash the .img ? i'm using the TWRP and when I search it to flash it doesn't appear on the list..

Enviado desde mi Galaxy Nexus usando Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]

urko95

May 7, 2010

How can I flash the .img ? i'm using the TWRP and when I search it to flash it doesn't appear on the list..

Try with CWM, I have tried with it.

Regards,

Urko

nudou350

Oct 20, 2012
A can't flash the .img either..i don't understand how to flash the .img file.. already tried with twrp and CWM.. no success
I can'´t see the .img file on both of recoveries.. any suggestions? do i have to install it on fastboot ?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Boot them without wiping anything
    Android OS & Ubuntu Phone OS

Ubuntu-Phone-OS.jpg

Introduction

So, as the title says, here is a guide about how to be able to boot Android OS and Ubuntu Phone OS whenever you want, without loosing your data of both systems; concretely, CM 10.1 and Ubuntu Phone OS. If you don't want to fail in the process, read the whole post.

BIG THANKS TO BEIDL! He make it real this project, ALL THANKS FOR HIM!

If you want to boot Ubuntu (For example) you will have to flash a file and viceversa.

-ATENTION NOOBS-
    We are not responsible of bricking your Nexus!

We will try to improve this progress in a near future

Steps

NOTE: This is an experimental way to have both systems without wiping, MAKE A BACKUP before you continue and, if something is wrong with this guide, post it and we will try to correct it.

What you need is...

Folow this steps:
    1. Flash CM 10.1 (Lastest Nightly recomended) -> You will have working CyanogenMod.
    2. Flash Ubuntu Phone OS without wiping (Both files, first armel+maguro and then phablet) -> Now, you will have working Ubuntu Phone OS
    3. Now you have both systems in the same ROM; so, if you want to come back to one of them...

• For Ubuntu Phone OS -> Flash once again armel+maguro.img
      • For Android OS -> Flash your favourite kernel and, if it doens't work, flash the whole CM 10.1 ROM again (Doens't take a long time)

So, once again, all credits for Beidl! :good:

NOTE: If you want to see how Beidl achieve it read this thread.

Is this a joke? This is not a dual boot.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Oh let's be real guys, anyone who thought it would get any closer than this is naíve and doesn't really know how dual-booting works. Straight up, how the hell would this ever work, as I said somewhere a while back, you'd need a special bootloader, which does not, and generally-speaking can not exist.

Do you think urko95 is going to want to help this community, maybe with a legit dual-booting solution, after all the *****ing from "the poor community that was sorely disappointed".

And being a paid contributor doesn't mean you can prance the forums like you own XDA, saying whatever you want, as if XDA needs contributors with all the ads and traffic it gets.

The diference is that /data is not wiped for non of both systems

I thought on pulling it but, as kernel could be changed by Cyano, I think it's a better idea to flash the lastes whole nightly. If anyone feel like pulling it and posting here everyday, tell me and I will post it.

Regards,

Urko

Try it with the kernel, if it doesn't work try flashing the whole CM 10.1 ROM.

Regards,

Urko