Tip us?

Khizar
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 6591
Default [GUIDE] How to keep sdcard format same after upgrading to 4.2

Notes-
1. Read all the steps before attempting this
2. I have used this method to successfully keep my sdcard in data/media even after flashing multiple 4.2 roms

Prerequisites-
1. Your bootloader must be unlocked, if it isnt unlock it before using the guide
2. Backup you internal storage because this will wipe it

Steps-
1. Using the toolkit flash the takju 4.2 google image
2. After you have completed the setup using your pc transfer your internal storage backup to data/media and if there is a 0/0 delete it
3. Now flash the latest twrp
4. Now flash any 4.2 rom of your choice and your sdcard will stay in data/media

Current Phone- Samsung Galaxy Note 3(N9005)

I have a "thank on sight" list, not many people are in it (mostly devs), BUT if i see a user that goes out of their way to help users then they will be added to it..
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Khizar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

D3VI0US
Old
Thanks Meter 252
So what the point of flashing TWRP and not CWM ?
thanks btw for the guide

JonathanBarca10
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Is this really necessary though? You cant just move everything back to the original directory, then delete the new ones, then go into twrp and wipe everything and then flash a rom? Why do u need to return to factory image?

Im just trying to understand this better.

bartolinio
Old
Thanks Meter 214

DONATE TO ME
copying over 10GB of data to PC (and back again) with an MTP connection is the "drudgery"

Device: Nexus 5
ROM: SlimKat
Radio: 1.0.25.0.17
Kernel: ElementalX
The Following User Says Thank You to bartolinio For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Khizar
Old
Thanks Meter 6591
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3VI0US View Post
So what the point of flashing TWRP and not CWM ?
thanks btw for the guide
2 reason..
1. i prefer twrp over cwm
2. i have tried this on twrp and not cwm

I have a "thank on sight" list, not many people are in it (mostly devs), BUT if i see a user that goes out of their way to help users then they will be added to it..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Khizar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Khizar
Old
Thanks Meter 6591
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanBarca10 View Post
Is this really necessary though? You cant just move everything back to the original directory, then delete the new ones, then go into twrp and wipe everything and then flash a rom? Why do u need to return to factory image?

Im just trying to understand this better.
from what i understand that will give you one "0" folder.. but you could try that and report back

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Khizar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JonathanBarca10
Old
(Last edited by JonathanBarca10; 18th November 2012 at 10:20 AM.)
Thanks Meter 54
haha i have to be the guinea pig? i guess...i will edit this post, i suppose once i can report my findings.

edit 1: well it seems there is also a /0 folder in the sdcard directory, not just under data/media. but i suppose thats not as much of a problem? i could probably just move those without much of a problem? i will report back...

edit 2: just gonna do it your way. when trying to move the data in the data/media/o file up, it wiped the data anyways...so. dont do that. lol

Khizar
Old
Thanks Meter 6591
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartolinio View Post
copying over 10GB of data to PC (and back again) with an MTP connection is the "drudgery"
yeah it took me forever to transfer my data..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Khizar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

andQlimax
Old
Thanks Meter 818

DONATE TO ME
Let me say that there is no point in doing those steps, as soon as possible the users get usual with the new format and first everything will back to normal

Inviato dal mio Galaxy Nexus con Tapatalk 2
Google Nexus 5 | Stock Rom | Rooted | Xposed
Galaxy Nexus GSM GT-I9250 (maguro) | yakju | TWRP 2.4.1.0 | BOOTLOADER PRIMEMD04 | RADIO XXLJ1 | Stock JWR66Y 4.3 + Root
HTC Desire GSM A8181 (bravo) AMOLED| PVT1 | HBOOT 0.93.1000 S-OFF CM7r1 | 4EXT Touch Recovery | RADIO 32.56.00.32U_5.17.05.23 | CM 7 Nightly | A2SD 512MB EXT4
Nokia N70

Delayed Push Notifications? Push Notifications Fixer
The Following User Says Thank You to andQlimax For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Khizar
Old
Thanks Meter 6591
Quote:
Originally Posted by andQlimax View Post
Let me say that there is no point in doing those steps, as soon as possible the users get usual with the new format and first everything will back to normal

Inviato dal mio Galaxy Nexus con Tapatalk 2
no..as i have said in the op, i have flashed multiple 4.2 roms(i flashed 2 today) after following those steps and my sdcard stays in data/media no more "0" folder

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Khizar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]