Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,424 Members 36,295 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Smartphone Service for just $30/month

Tip us?

bobsbbq
Old
Thanks Meter 353

DONATE TO ME
Thanks to your guide I was able to setup the tasker and it works perfectly with one exception. After I installed Onavo Extend and I switch between WiFi and data the Airplane mode does not come on. I get a error unable to connect to www.google.com blah blah. I tried several times with the same results. Once I disabled it everything works again.

Do you have this issue? Do you have a different setting or something?
HTC One T-Mobile version
Current ROM: Stock
Carrier: Solavei

Own your Cell service. Say no to contracts and take charge of your service.

**If you like my work click: Donations Here**

IF I HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE USE THE THANKS BUTTON BELOW THE POST:

codesplice
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelcack View Post
Great guide. Can you please share your Groove IP settings?
There are quite a few settings, but I haven't made any exotic configurations. Were there any in particular that interested you?

BrianDigital
Old
(Last edited by BrianDigital; 11th May 2012 at 03:42 AM.)
Thanks Meter 310

DONATE TO ME
How does tasker reconnect to mobile radios once disconnected from wifi

Nvm found it to end with task if statement. I'll post mine up tomm mine has quite a few less steps

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

xur17
Old
Thanks Meter 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by codesplice View Post
There are quite a few settings, but I haven't made any exotic configurations. Were there any in particular that interested you?
Out of curiosity, what speaker and microphone settings do you use (the volume levels)?

eksasol
Old
(Last edited by eksasol; 11th May 2012 at 04:48 AM.)
Thanks Meter 704
Besides free call, you can also text for free (using Talkatone or the Google Voice app) and not pay the ATT $20 texting fee. Choosing a very easy phone number that everyone can remember is a good idea and not having to give out your real one. This was what I did for two of my friends:

-ATT 3G + WiFi, iPhone, Talkatone:
I haven't had any complains with this setup, probably since the person always get good signal and stay in one place with WiFi signal. You have to dial within the Talkatone app, but it integrate really well with the iPhone, so you don't miss incoming calls. It has its own call logs and texting window. I much prefer it over GrooVe IP and it seems to work good on iPad too. I have not used the Android version of Talkatone though.

-T-Mobile 3G, Android, GrooVe IP:
This one was a fail. Since T-Mobile probably doesn't have best 3G signal penetration so the person keeps losing signal. Also there can be issues with echo, I don't know how bad this issue compared with Talkatone. Also you have to remember to set WiFi to never turn off or in GrooVe IP option set it to keep screen on during calls. I don't entirely blame the app, but I guess its more to do with getting good data signals.

I wouldn't recommending choosing this option primarily, I would rather refer to the prepaid thread and check out Simple Mobile or Straight Talk first. Overall, I think if you have strong signal or remain stationary in a WiFi area then its good.

codesplice
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by xur17 View Post
Out of curiosity, what speaker and microphone settings do you use (the volume levels)?
I have never bothered with either of those settings, the defaults seem to work fine for me.

codesplice
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDigital View Post
How does tasker reconnect to mobile radios once disconnected from wifi

Nvm found it to end with task if statement. I'll post mine up tomm mine has quite a few less steps

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
It reconnects to the mobile network after wifi is disconnected because then the profile's context ("wifi connected") is no longer satisfied, thus triggering the exit task (Airplane Mode off).

I do look forward to seeing what ideas others can come up with. I have a tendency to start with a simple solution and gradually over-engineer it as I add new features and error-handling.

codesplice
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksasol View Post
Besides free call, you can also text for free (using Talkatone or the Google Voice app) and not pay the ATT $20 texting fee. Choosing a very easy phone number that everyone can remember is a good idea and not having to give out your real one. This was what I did for two of my friends:

-ATT 3G + WiFi, iPhone, Talkatone:
I haven't had any complains with this setup, probably since the person always get good signal and stay in one place with WiFi signal. You have to dial within the Talkatone app, but it integrate really well with the iPhone, so you don't miss incoming calls. It has its own call logs and texting window. I much prefer it over GrooVe IP and it seems to work good on iPad too. I have not used the Android version of Talkatone though.

-T-Mobile 3G, Android, GrooVe IP:
This one is a big fail. Since T-Mobile probably doesn't have best 3G signal penetration so the person keeps losing signal. Also there can be issues with echo, I don't know how bad this issue compared with Talkatone. Also if you have to remember to set WiFi to never turn off or in GrooVe IP option set it to keep screen on during calls.

Overall, I think if you have strong signal or remain stationary in a WiFi area then its good.
Yeah, I'm not sure I would count on using any Voip solution unless I knew I would spend a great deal of time with an active wifi connection. The few times that I tried it (previously, with my Nexus One on AT&T) I wasn't very impressed.

The nice thing with the $30 prepaid plan is that even if I do go over the 100 minute allotment, it's only 10c per minute. I could wind up using a total of 500 mobile voice minutes without paying more than I would for the next plan with 5GB data - and I can save quite a bit of money on months I keep my voice usage down.

codesplice
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsbbq View Post
Thanks to your guide I was able to setup the tasker and it works perfectly with one exception. After I installed Onavo Extend and I switch between WiFi and data the Airplane mode does not come on. I get a error unable to connect to www.google.com blah blah. I tried several times with the same results. Once I disabled it everything works again.

Do you have this issue? Do you have a different setting or something?
Hmm. I'm sure that connectivity test could use some tweaking, but it has been fairly solid for me.

You say that the airplane mode does not come on when switching from wifi to data... it shouldn't. We want the airplane mode to engage when you connect to wifi. Once you disconnect from the wifi network, the profile's Exit Task (Airplane Mode off) should switch you back to mobile data.

Or am I misinterpreting the issue you are having?

colonelcack
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by codesplice View Post
Every setting really. I haven't perfected groove ip on the galaxy nexus yet. Seems like some people complain about echos and the basic echo canceller doesn't work...adaptive makes my voice sound statticy.

Had it working pretty well on my old phone, but the echo seems to be a problem with the nexus.