Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,631 Members 45,387 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Smartphone Service for just $30/month

Tip us?

Whyzor
Old
Thanks Meter 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by post-mortem View Post
Other down sides include poor support, and difficult to find directions on how to root / flash ROMs, if it's even possible.
True, most of the reputable sellers have 30 day return policy. The stock ROMs are Jellybean 4.1+ and I don't see updating Android very often nowadays. Stability & battery life matters more for me than the latest features in the OS, custom ROMS tend to lack in those areas since there's not as much testing done in less structured development environments. I'm done with flashing ROMs as a hobby, just want to use my phone.

rafa3L
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Default Re: [GUIDE] Smartphone Service for just $30/month

Quote:
Originally Posted by baiju2012 View Post
Why did you switch back? Was ST not good?

Sent from my Nexus 4
To save a few bucks. $30 vs $45. I think I can deal with the 100 minutes of talk. Even if I go over occasionally, I should still come out ahead most months. With StraightTalk you can choose a T-Mobile or AT&T SIM so it wasn't a matter of ST not being good. Although I am happy to not be supporting WalMart with my monthly ST card purchase. Very unhappy with their customer service when I had trouble purchasing the ST card at Walmart.com.

krazykeyur
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Long time since I posted here, but I am still rocking this plan.
My main number has been ported to TMobile and I use voip for outgoing calls only [vonage app when on wifi, native dialer with voip.ms (GSM codec)] or just use my regular cell minutes when I know I am at a bad data connection.

I had to have MMS ("MMSing" pictures to email doesnt really work in real life) and so I chose this option. I have never used more than 50 extra minutes over my 100 minutes, so my bill is never greater than $35 (plus whatever voip.ms calls I make at 1 cent per minute)

whitedragonz83
Old
Thanks Meter 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykeyur View Post
Long time since I posted here, but I am still rocking this plan.
My main number has been ported to TMobile and I use voip for outgoing calls only [vonage app when on wifi, native dialer with voip.ms (GSM codec)] or just use my regular cell minutes when I know I am at a bad data connection.

I had to have MMS ("MMSing" pictures to email doesnt really work in real life) and so I chose this option. I have never used more than 50 extra minutes over my 100 minutes, so my bill is never greater than $35 (plus whatever voip.ms calls I make at 1 cent per minute)
Awesome to hear! I did this setup too (minus vonage), mostly to simply my life as I could not port my main number to Google Voice. Most months I use <100 minutes. That is why I have VOIP.MS as well, for when I do need more then 100 minutes I can do it cheap and reliable. I think I put $25 in VOIP.MS last August and still have $15-20 available. So basically ~$1-2/month extra fees from VOIP.MS.
LG Nexus 5, 16GB, Black
Stock Android 4.4.4, Franco Kernel - Latest

Previous Phones: Galaxy Nexus (GSM), Sold; LG Nexus 4, Sold

G+

Cell Plan:
$45/mo Cricket Wireless (formally AIO Wireless) 2.5GB, unlimited text, unlimited minutes, AT&T network
Private Message me your First and Last name with email address and I'll get an AIO Refer-a-Friend going for $25 credit for you if you sign up.

jpmanchester
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegolfer View Post
Just cut it. Google the instruction. Easy.
Easier to go to the store. Got tired of witing for a replacement SIM and turns out T-Mobile's policy is free SIM's as long as your activating a number on it (or transferring even). I went in and got a replacement SIM for my lost phone, went a few days later when my N4 arrived and got a micro-Sim for free as well.

chong67
Old
Thanks Meter 41
How does voip.ms work with my phone? The website didnt seem to help much.

fatejd
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for this guide - this will help with my family that are data service noobs.

Ci-Fi
Old
Thanks Meter 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by zAlbee View Post
You are correct that on the Galaxy Nexus, WiFi goes into a low power state when the screen is off, and I believe some people reported missing calls because of that. I suggest you run WiFi High Performance widget when on WiFi. I used it all the time and it works. I didn't even notice any negative effect on battery life (actually battery life was better because I'd be in airplane mode all the time).

Good luck.

Sent from my Transformer TF101
Is there any extra benefit of running Wifi High Performance Widget if you are already enabled "wifi high performance" in Trickster MOD?

zAlbee
Old
Thanks Meter 143
Default Re: [GUIDE] Smartphone Service for just $30/month

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8erfrombham View Post
Is there any extra benefit of running Wifi High Performance Widget if you are already enabled "wifi high performance" in Trickster MOD?
One thing the widget can do is selectively turn on high performance for only known APs that you specify. If Trickster Mod has the same function, then there's probably no need for this.

Sent from my Transformer TF101
Current:
Moto X (GSM Developer Edition): 4.4.2
Asus TF101: KatKiss 4.3.1 (#28)

Previous:

Nokia 3360, SE w580, SE w760 (bad), SE Hazel J20i (stolen)
iPad 1 (sold), Galaxy Nexus (GSM): 4.3 stock (given away)

Service
:
Wind Mobile $30/mth 5GB HSPA data + unlimited talk/text province-wide

bisache
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hopefully someone can help me complete my configuration....First of all I just got on the $30 plan from a yearly expired t-mobile contract. i ported over my number to a prepaid sim through t-mobile and tried to set up internet calling. everything works except i cant get my outbound caller id to be displayed on the phone of the person that i'm calling, it just gives the google voice number i have. I'm using google voice, pbxes.org, and csipsimple to make calls. Is there a way to show my mobile number and not my google voice number when making internet calls? I don't mind changing anything I already have as long as I can get free internet calling and showing my mobile caller id.

Thanks in advance