5,596,128 Members 34,144 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HOW TO: Repairing Galaxy Nexus Power Button (Video up now)

Tip us?

armanatz
Old
(Last edited by armanatz; 13th August 2012 at 09:05 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Default HOW TO: Repairing Galaxy Nexus Power Button (Video up now)

I was recently faced with a dead power button on my beloved Galaxy Nexus and was forced to repair it myself due to the fact that my phone wasn't covered by warranty here and Samsung was charging a butt load to do it themselves.

I went on iFixit and saw how easy it was to repair the phone and scoured the internet for parts.

The website I used for all the parts and tools seen in this video is https://www.tvc-mall.com/
You can get everything from there.

Sorry for the shoddy camera work and poor lighting (the video was shot by my friend using his Galaxy S3).

Also, I forgot to mention the reason why my power button looks different from everyone else's and I will do that in another video hopefully. If I never get around to it; here is the explanation.

I actually repaired the original power button by taking it apart. Let me tell you, it wasn't an easy task as it requires a delicate hand and a lot of patience.

What I did was, I used a razor blade to cut open the plastic tape covering the power button membrane. After that, I used some WD40 on a small ball of cotton and scrubbed both the membrane and the circuit out. Then I wrapped it back up with electrical tape and used it until I got the parts ordered in.

I hope this video serves its purpose and that all of you who faced this problem were able to fix it.

Here is the video:

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to armanatz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

msavic6
Old
Thanks Meter 378
Is the power button failure becoming common? I remember on my nexus one everybody used trackball wake and widgets to shut the screen off to prevent wear of the power button. I thankfully didn't experience any issues with my power button.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

robrob777
Old
Thanks Meter 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by msavic6 View Post
Is the power button failure becoming common? I remember on my nexus one everybody used trackball wake and widgets to shut the screen off to prevent wear of the power button. I thankfully didn't experience any issues with my power button.

Samsung's power button are not so good. My Nexus S failed 1 day after warranty, normal use.
I'm afraid my Galaxy nexus will fail too so i'm going to install that volume wake mod to save a little power button.

For what i read, it is a common issue with Nexus S, and Galaxys.

On My HTC HD2, it never failed (2yrs), iphone is OK(3yrs) , no problem on my Motorola Defy either (2yrs). only the Samsung had problems
Nexus 4 Stock.
Nexus 10 Stock.

cam30era
Old
Thanks Meter 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by msavic6 View Post

Seems to be pretty common. Failed on mine today (LTE purchased on launch day from Verizon)

Lesicnik1
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 725
Use PGM, never have to touch power button again
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lesicnik1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ACHILLES R32
Old
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesicnik1 View Post
This thing is amazing!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus (Takju-Maguro)
Phone:Nexus 5 ROM:KitKat 4.4.2 Stock Rooted Recovery:TWRP 2.6.3.4 Radio:1.0.25.0.23 Bootloader:HHZ11k

Tablet:Nexus 7 ROM:CleanROM 2.6 Recovery:TWRP 2.6.3.0 Bootloader:FLO 04.02

Past Devices:Nexus 7 (2012) (SOLD) Nexus 4 (SOLD) Galaxy Nexus (SOLD) T-Mobile G2 (SOLD)

cam30era
Old
Thanks Meter 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesicnik1 View Post
Works for wake fine. But with a totally dead/unresponsive power button I can only shut down via battery pull, and it reboots as soon as I reinstall battery. I have downloaded Quick Boot app and could use it to shut down, but if it works then I don't know how to turn device back on. Any ideas much appreciated. I've ordered a new power button flex cable and will probably attempt the replacement when it arrives if I can't find an acceptable solution.

cam30era
Old
Thanks Meter 308
I bought a replacement flex cable and attempted replacement on my Verizon LTE Gnex. Feedback below:

1) This video is an excellent aid. The instructions are clear, precise, and easy to follow. I was able to disassemble my phone without any problems following this.

2) The power button flex cable for the Verizon LTE version of the Gnex is not the same as the GSM (?) version in the video. It appears to be permanently attached. See photo below.

3) After I reassembled my phone, I took it to the local Verizon store to inquire about the cost of a replacement. I do not ever purchase insurance. I purchased my Gnex on launch day (mid December, 2011) so it is nearly 9 months old. Very nice customer sales associate told me that replacement would be shipped out for free since it's still covered under Samsung's warranty. Only thing I had to pay for was overnight shipping, $12. And yes, it's unlocked and rooted running CM10. But one can not turn it on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0086.jpg
Views:	1412
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	1293809  

biscuitownz
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam30era View Post
I bought a replacement flex cable and attempted replacement on my Verizon LTE Gnex. Feedback below:

1) This video is an excellent aid. The instructions are clear, precise, and easy to follow. I was able to disassemble my phone without any problems following this.

2) The power button flex cable for the Verizon LTE version of the Gnex is not the same as the GSM (?) version in the video. It appears to be permanently attached. See photo below.

3) After I reassembled my phone, I took it to the local Verizon store to inquire about the cost of a replacement. I do not ever purchase insurance. I purchased my Gnex on launch day (mid December, 2011) so it is nearly 9 months old. Very nice customer sales associate told me that replacement would be shipped out for free since it's still covered under Samsung's warranty. Only thing I had to pay for was overnight shipping, $12. And yes, it's unlocked and rooted running CM10. But one can not turn it on.
That looks like it can be removed? Since if it was soldered on it should be closer to the board.

cam30era
Old
Thanks Meter 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitownz View Post
That looks like it can be removed? Since if it was soldered on it should be closer to the board.
I am not sure if it could be removed, but I couldn't see any obvious disconnect. And I could not find a replacement flex cable for the LTE version from any vendors.