[HOW-TO] [GSM & CDMA] Return to stock for ALL Galaxy Nexus phones (latest JWR66Y)

1st May 2012, 09:24 PM   |  #11  
OP Senior Moderator
Flag Montreal Bow2DaCow
Thanks Meter: 8,086

9,535 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRomie

Does usb debugging have to be turned on for this? Also I have the samsung drivers installed, if fastboot recognizes my phone does that mean that they work correctly?

No for your first question, and most likely yes for your second.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to efrant For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd May 2012, 01:18 AM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 8

191 posts
Amazingly simple guide. I finally got around to doing this, much thanks!
2nd May 2012, 01:46 AM   |  #13  
Somewhere in between
Thanks Meter: 446

1,407 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efrant

You actually see what is happening step-by-step in this method, in the hopes that you will learn something.

A toolkit does not run you through the steps, so it breeds a new wave of users who don't know how to use fastboot and don't know how to troubleshoot.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9&postcount=45

This is the main and only reason why I don't use toolkits. Excellent work!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
2nd May 2012, 02:07 AM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 2

92 posts
I just want to start this post by saying I am very new to this and I do not want to screw anything up. I have the correct files and drivers ready, but when I type the command "fastboot oem unlock" my phone says it is already unlocked. Just to be clear bootloader and being factory unlocked to use with any carrier are two different things?

Also if my phone's bootloader is unlocked, that could mean that the previous owner tinkered with this phone (I think), so am I able to just type in all of the commands that follow the unlock step without issue? Should I wipe my phone anyway? I am going from 4.0.1 yakjuux to 4.0.4 yakju and if so before or after fastboot is done?
2nd May 2012, 02:27 AM   |  #15  
OP Senior Moderator
Flag Montreal Bow2DaCow

9,535 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I just want to start this post by saying I am very new to this and I do not want to screw anything up.

No problem. We are here to help!
Quote:

I have the correct files and drivers ready, but when I type the command "fastboot oem unlock" my phone says it is already unlocked. Just to be clear bootloader and being factory unlocked to use with any carrier are two different things?

Yes, they are different.
Quote:

Also if my phone's bootloader is unlocked, that could mean that the previous owner tinkered with this phone (I think), so am I able to just type in all of the commands that follow the unlock step without issue?

Yes and yes.
Quote:

Should I wipe my phone anyway? I am going from 4.0.1 yakjuux to 4.0.4 yakju and if so before or after fastboot is done?

The procedure will wipe (assuming you do step 10 in part D).
The Following User Says Thank You to efrant For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd May 2012, 06:28 AM   |  #16  

92 posts
Thanks efrant for all of your help! I have managed to get 4.0.4 working, however, my playstore doesn't work... It says server error retry also my phone is from the UK so it says playshop now. Anyway to change this and also get it working?

EDIT: clearing data worked. It still says playshop though. Would downloading another locale help? I don't think there was a locale change on the other build yet it said store and not shop.
Last edited by SirRomie; 2nd May 2012 at 06:32 AM.
2nd May 2012, 01:08 PM   |  #17  

37 posts
flashing alternative radios
Hi efrant,

I have previously done this method and loving 4.0.4. Now I am wondering about trying different radios, as I am in Australia

To flash a new radio in fastboot, do i just type:

fastboot flash radio (radio-maguro-i9250xxla02.img) <- whatever the name of the radio image is

Or do i have to reboot the bootloader, and flash all the other stuff first?
After I flash the radio, do I just reboot the bootloader and that is that... or do I need to flash the system partition, boot partition and erase the cache too?

If I change the radio, I have to return it back to XXLA2 for future OTA updates to install successfully, right

Running:
Stock Android 4.0.4
19250XXLA2
3.0.8-gda6252b
IMM76I
2nd May 2012, 02:02 PM   |  #18  
OP Senior Moderator
Flag Montreal Bow2DaCow

9,535 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagiballs

Hi efrant,

I have previously done this method and loving 4.0.4. Now I am wondering about trying different radios, as I am in Australia

To flash a new radio in fastboot, do i just type:

fastboot flash radio (radio-maguro-i9250xxla02.img) <- whatever the name of the radio image is

Or do i have to reboot the bootloader, and flash all the other stuff first?
After I flash the radio, do I just reboot the bootloader and that is that... or do I need to flash the system partition, boot partition and erase the cache too?

If I change the radio, I have to return it back to XXLA2 for future OTA updates to install successfully, right

Running:
Stock Android 4.0.4
19250XXLA2
3.0.8-gda6252b
IMM76I

All you have to do is to boot into fastboot mode, and type: fastboot flash radio (radio-maguro-i9250xxla02.img) <- whatever the name of the radio image is

I would also type the following: fastboot erase cache

And then reboot: fastboot reboot

Nothing else.

As for your second, yes, you will need to flash back to XXLA2 for future OTA updates to install successfully.
The Following User Says Thank You to efrant For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd May 2012, 08:09 AM   |  #19  

92 posts
Well I managed to get everything working. The guide made it as simple as can be. The set-up was the main hurdle, but once everything was downloaded and unzipped, it was a piece of cake.

Thanks again efrant for making this! I finally am happy with my Nexus.
3rd May 2012, 03:28 PM   |  #20  
OP Senior Moderator
Flag Montreal Bow2DaCow

9,535 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubiprince

Hi... I am not really an expert with this things, so I would just like to ask you if I am doing the right way. I am not an Android expert, and I am really new to this kind of thing.

Please don't quote massive amounts of the first post. There is no need.
Quote:

- I have none of these in my laptop, so I will just skip these right?

Not sure what you are asking. The post says do NOT install those drivers. If you haven't, then why are you asking if you should skip them?

Quote:

- Uhmmm, yeah. I don't know how to install it. Install it where? My GNex? Or in my laptop?

If you are asking this question (i.e., do I install the drivers on my GNex or on my laptop), then, no offence, but you have bigger problems that what can be solved by me telling you what to do. You should try and do a bit more reading, before attempting this.

Quote:

- Will this toolkit (http://www.tested.com/news/feature/3...root-required/) affect in updating my GNex?

No it should not.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
how-to, stock, takju, yakju
Previous Thread Next Thread