Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,480 Members 45,172 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOWTO] Root Your Stock Galaxy Nexus

Tip us?

davioxx
Old
(Last edited by davioxx; 13th February 2012 at 05:38 AM.) Reason: Deprecated
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25

DONATE TO ME
Post [HOWTO] Root Your Stock Galaxy Nexus

This post is now deprecated there are new ways of rooting more easily here is the link to one of those

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1392310

just kept for reference
link no longer works as it is a very old boot img, if you wanna go this way use latest superboot

Rooting your Galaxy Nexus

Download this file contains necessary files and also lastest samsung drivers in case you dont have them, probably you need android sdk drivers for fastboot

Download

credit to @peteralfonso for the insecure boot.img which allows this to remount system and this way install su binary and Superuser.apk

This are the instructions for Galaxy Nexus

they require basic knowledge of fastboot adb and using command prompt/terminal

works same way on linux and windows

Be sure to have fastboot and adb ready and working

extract somewhere and you will get 4 files su, Superuser.apk , boot.img and drivers

turn off the phone

Boot into bootloader mode (Vol UP+ Vol Down + Power) then execute this command, be sure to have fastboot and boot.img on same folder or be ready to type a long path pointing to your boot.img

REMINDER: by doing fastboot oem unlock you will completely wipe your device so be sure to backup anything important

execute this command
Code:
Select Code
fastboot oem unlock 
fastboot boot boot.img
edit: thanks chirality forgot the oem unlock

the device will reboot and start in unsafe mode where you can enable adb as root usually on production devices this is not posible

Be sure to enable adb debugging on menu

back to command prompt

Code:
Select Code
adb root

adb remount

adb push su /system/bin

adb push Superuser.apk /system/app

adb shell chmod 06755 /system/bin/su
adb shell chmod 06755 /system/app/Superuser.apk

adb reboot
and you are done and youve got your Galaxy Nexus rooted

This process does not involve flashing another boot.img, it just boots once with it and after that returns to original boot.img

As usual
YOU ARE PERFORMING THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! I AM NOT RESPOSIBLE FOR ANY BRICKS OR PROBLEMS!

Which wont happen we are just pushing 2 files to our phone

edit2: sorry for the bad paths of adb was too late and didnt notice my error :P
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to davioxx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Chirality
Old
Thanks Meter 129
Don't you have to do "fastboot oem unlock" first before being able to boot off the insecure image? I thought they fixed that with the Nexus S already.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chirality For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Shodney
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Thanks for the post - apparently people are having problems with the Superboot method, so I'll give this a go when mine arrives today.

I guess this comes with all the usual "at your own risk" and "will void your warranty" warnings?

(sorry if that's a stupid question - this is my first Nexus, so I'm not sure where I stand on rooting, unlocking bootloaders, and the warranty etc.)

chriscole
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Great - worked without issue for me and I can now use the Entree VPN client for connecting into work. (the HD screen is great for remote desktop work)

Minor typo in the permissions lines though - should read:

adb shell chmod 06755 /system/bin/su
adb shell chmod 06755 /system/app/Superuser.apk

Thanks very much,

Chris.
The Following User Says Thank You to chriscole For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

el3ctrik
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Thanks for this davioxx for putting together the guide, chriscole for the fixes and @peteralfonso for the insecure boot.img.

I'm now succesfully rooted.

It seems Root Explorer needs an update for the GN though. Only opens in the bottom left corner of the screen for me, and is comprised of static.

seakins
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Sorry for the newbee question, been quite a while since rooting my nexus one...

Do i need to enable adb debugging on phone menu before executing the fastboot oem unlock code and then enable it again after it reboots and starts in safe mode?

spences10
Old
Thanks Meter 44

DONATE TO ME
w00t!

Thank you

You may want to change the path names on the chmod part, I blindly followed the instructions and the files were in diffrent places from where I pushed them to

But thanks \o/

I haz root!
I have ORD

Nexus 5; Nexus 7

Circle Me or Follow Me

Android History: HTC Magic; DELL Streak; ZTE Blade; HTC Desire; Nexus S; HTC Desire Z; HTC Wildfire; LG Optimus 2x; HTC Hero, Acer Liquid Metal; HTC MyTouch 4G; Orange San Diego <SMH; Huawei Ascend G300; Samsung Galaxy Nexus; Nexus 4

liorra3
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Tnx, easy like all nexus devices, now need some you tube for that!

Sent Via My HTC Desire HD
SOLD: HTC Nexus One | HTC Desire HD | Galaxy Nexus | Nexus 4
ME: LG G2
KID 1: Nexus 7
KID 2: iPad 3 64GB

IOPanel Team

Zlatty
Old
Thanks Meter 22
looks pretty simple ... hopefully it will be the same process for us in the States

majikdragoon
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Not 100% sure what's going on here. I haven't rooted since I got the Nexus One.

When my phone is on and connected, command prompt shows my phone as an attached device. But when I boot into bootloader, it isn't attached anymore and command prompt just tells me that the commands are unrecognized? How come?