Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,404 Members 49,372 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Do you have an issue with Galaxy Nexus volume changing automatically?
Yes, my phone suffers from volume problems 209 54.43%
No, I haven't experienced the volume problem 141 36.72%
I did not have it at first, but it does happen now 17 4.43%
I had the problem before, but not anymore 17 4.43%
Voters: 384. You may not vote on this poll

Do you have an issue with Galaxy Nexus volume changing automatically? (Updated 01.12)

Tip us?

qwerp_
Old
Thanks Meter 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscillik View Post
what network was the Nexus One running on?
tesco mobile (o2)

switch to 2G mode only.

Tom Servo
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Hope people don't forget to credit me for enabling to prove this once for all.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tom Servo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

oscillik
Old
Thanks Meter 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodney View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Well, here's a test for anyone with a Galaxy Nexus (especially with that problem) that still owns his older Android phone:

Put your SIM card back into the old phone, configure it to GSM only, put the Nexus in Airplane mode (to disable everything, including emergency mode (I think)) then put the old phone with its ass close or next to the volume rocker of the Nexus. Maybe even overlap the phones, to have the antenna on top of it. GSM antennas are required to be at the bottom of the phone. Fiddle with the old phone to generate some radio traffic.

If you can manage to cause the volume drop that way, it's definitely RF.

--edit: I guess given that the wavelength of 900MHz is around 33cm, you don't need to be too exact with the placement, but right on top hammers the most power into it.
Im afraid to say it, but that triggered the problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrive View Post
I just did this with a Galaxy Tab on TalkMobile, a Nexus S on Vodaphone, and a HTC Desire on Orange...

The Galaxy Tab and the Nexus S triggered it, the Desire did nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerp_ View Post
i can confirm the RF interference triggers the bug. here is the prove in a video of my GN interfere by a N1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIFRYY25fDo
so we have three people who have been able to successfully replicate the problem by putting the phone into airplane mode, and then bringing a completely different phone that runs on 900MHz in close proximity to the Galaxy Nexus.
Nexus 4 mako, 16GB, stock Android 4.2 JOP40C occam
Nexus 7 grouper, 32GB, stock Android 4.2 JOP40C nakasi
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2053 View Post
The problem is oscillik is both a) correct, and b) an asshole. A dangerous combination to be sure!

justabrake
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Hope people don't forget to credit me for enabling to prove this once for all.
And oscillik,kristovaher for staying with it. Thanks
Iphone 4s

paul_one
Old
Thanks Meter 0
what the hell is samsung playing at!? improper rf shielding means any stray signal with the right power can cause your volume to suddenly drop..

Geez, when I saw the cpu and camera specs I thought samsung were being cheap, but skimping on the basic shielding of a radio transmitter? ...

LadFromWales85
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Brand new out of box from o2 as of 6PM. No SIM in phone due to it being locked and me wanting to use a Vodafone SIM in it.

Gone through the setup wizard, held another phone (o2) near it, and down goes the volume.

I think I'll box it up before I get attached to it.

pnnorth
Old
Thanks Meter 165
Interesting!

We now have the Samsung Galaxy Nexus in stock at Clove Technology and will begin shipping orders tomorrow. We are aware that some users that purchased handsets from other outlets last week have reported problems with the volume changing erratically. We have been in touch with Samsung regarding this and have been told that our stock has since been through an additional quality control check and should not have the problem. Nonetheless, we will also be testing several handsets ourselves to check for the problem this evening.

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pnnorth For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Matcarroll
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Do we think this issue could be having a negative impact on my battery?
Some people are reporting a great battery life but coming from a iphone 3gs, great battery life ISNT something i can report! I am having this erratic volume problem though and whilst its happening, if i am texting or emailing, i get severe slowdown from the keyboard. My battery has been terrible and i am hoping this and various other issues may improve it.

kristovaher
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by justabrake View Post
And oscillik,kristovaher for staying with it. Thanks
I've just been trying to rough enough feathers while I don't even have the phone yet. It's great what all the people have done trying to test the handset out. It is proven now that this happens on most likely in majority (if not all) handsets released in UK last week.

Only question remaining is if it is a major design flaw by Samsung, or a flawed batch. If former, then this problem will take a long time to fix and will possibly include a recall of all devices. If latter, then things are a bit better, but everyone who has the faulty device must still get their device replaced with one that actually works. I guess we will find the answer to this out in the next day or two, now that new batch is about to be released.

paul_one
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadFromWales85 View Post
Brand new out of box from o2 as of 6PM. No SIM in phone due to it being locked and me wanting to use a Vodafone SIM in it.

Gone through the setup wizard, held another phone (o2) near it, and down goes the volume.

I think I'll box it up before I get attached to it.
my reaction: awwoooh-ho-ho, ho-ho-wwww... That's so sad!
I know what you are feeling and its painfully funny, like bashing your own knee under a table... Maybe try to get a refund as the hardware is clearly faulty and fit for purpose.

Tags
bug, galaxy, nexus, volume
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe