Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
View Poll Results: Do you have an issue with Galaxy Nexus volume changing automatically?
Yes, my phone suffers from volume problems 209 54.43%
No, I haven't experienced the volume problem 141 36.72%
I did not have it at first, but it does happen now 17 4.43%
I had the problem before, but not anymore 17 4.43%
Voters: 384. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Closed

Do you have an issue with Galaxy Nexus volume changing automatically? (Updated 01.12)

OP kristovaher

22nd November 2011, 10:48 PM   |  #901  
Flag Widnes
Thanks Meter: 130

906 posts
More
conversation with Romain Guy, Android engineer on #android freenode.net

Code:
<oscillik> romainguy: any news on this 900MHz issue with the Galaxy Nexus? please?
<oscillik> by all accounts, this seems like hardware defect
<Khaytsus> oscillik: that's a Samsung problem, not Google ;)
<CPng|N> yeah how do they manage to come out with these features and then not implement them on new lines?
<romainguy> oscillik: the volume that changes by itself?
<CPng|N> as if a tiny 3 color LED is that expensive
<oscillik> romainguy: yes
<Cancel_> romainguy: that's a "feature"
<Khaytsus> CPng|N: What's funny is as I recall NOBODY really utilized the RGB notification light except third party apps
<oscillik> due to interference from the 900MHz GSM band
<romainguy> it's a known issue and I believe we have a software fix
<FernandoMiguel> Khaytsus: N1 was the only device with RGB track ball
<romainguy> but it's not my area so...
<lonelyDonut> Khaytsus: i used the **** out of them on the N1. I miss it so.
<romainguy> no guarantee etc.
<Khaytsus> FernandoMiguel: So you're saying small footprint of users to have such a feature eh?
<oscillik> romainguy: really? even though by all accounts it seems largely to be a hardware defect due to insufficient RF shielding?
Looks like Google are in fact working on a software patch for this, and I am going to publicly admit that I was wrong about the 4.0.2 patch being specific to the Verizon version.

edit: Pastebin link of the conversation for easier reading
Last edited by oscillik; 22nd November 2011 at 10:56 PM. Reason: added link
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oscillik For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd November 2011, 10:51 PM   |  #902  
Thanks Meter: 28

290 posts
More
I wonder if 4.0.2 is in AOSP already. Because then you could verify.

--edit: They don't have Gitweb anymore :|
Last edited by Tom Servo; 22nd November 2011 at 10:54 PM.
22nd November 2011, 10:57 PM   |  #903  
Thanks Meter: 18

622 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscillik

Looks like Google are in fact working on a software patch for this, and I am going to publicly admit that I was wrong about the 4.0.2 patch being specific to the Verizon version.

I appreciate that you admit that you are possibly wrong, your campaign about hardware issues was very "strange", you were sure about an hardware problem without any data that can confirm it.
22nd November 2011, 10:59 PM   |  #904  
Flag Widnes

906 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sblantipodi

I appreciate that you admit that you are possibly wrong, your campaign about hardware issues was very "strange", you were sure about an hardware problem without any data that can confirm it.

oh please don't misunderstand me - I still firmly believe that this is a hardware defect.

However, I was quick to smack down reports of a 4.0.2 update because at the time we had information that said this update was specific to the Verizon version of the Galaxy Nexus.

It looks like I was very wrong to smack people down about that, and for that I apologise to each and every one of you that I smacked down. I was wrong.
22nd November 2011, 11:00 PM   |  #905  
Thanks Meter: 46

215 posts
More
Quote:

im interested to see if he got any more response after his last comment in that paste...
22nd November 2011, 11:01 PM   |  #906  
Thanks Meter: 4

88 posts
Did more information come from the conversation..
22nd November 2011, 11:04 PM   |  #907  
Thanks Meter: 18

622 posts
Quote:

oh please don't misunderstand me - I still firmly believe that this is a hardware defect.

However, I was quick to smack down reports of a 4.0.2 update because at the time we had information that said this update was specific to the Verizon version of the Galaxy Nexus.

It looks like I was very wrong to smack people down about that, and for that I apologise to each and every one of you that I smacked down. I was wrong.

you are always too fast to reach conclusions, calm down, that conversation with romain guy says: "it's a known issue and I believe we have a software fix"
I believe means that he is not sure.
22nd November 2011, 11:06 PM   |  #908  
Flag Widnes

906 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleets

im interested to see if he got any more response after his last comment in that paste...

unfortunately no He obviously didn't want to comment on it anymore, since he moved onto a different topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipm

Did more information come from the conversation..

unfortunately nope.

Quote:

you are always too fast to reach conclusions, calm down, that conversation with romain guy says: "it's a known issue and I believe we have a software fix"
I believe means that he is not sure.

Agreed - this isn't definitive, but it's the best information we've had so far regarding any work that is being done about this by either Google or Samsung.
22nd November 2011, 11:08 PM   |  #909  
Flag Ealing, London
Thanks Meter: 20

75 posts
More
Quote:

conversation with Romain Guy, Android engineer on #android freenode.net

Code:
<oscillik> romainguy: any news on this 900MHz issue with the Galaxy Nexus? please?
<oscillik> by all accounts, this seems like hardware defect
<Khaytsus> oscillik: that's a Samsung problem, not Google ;)
<CPng|N> yeah how do they manage to come out with these features and then not implement them on new lines?
<romainguy> oscillik: the volume that changes by itself?
<CPng|N> as if a tiny 3 color LED is that expensive
<oscillik> romainguy: yes
<Cancel_> romainguy: that's a "feature"
<Khaytsus> CPng|N: What's funny is as I recall NOBODY really utilized the RGB notification light except third party apps
<oscillik> due to interference from the 900MHz GSM band
<romainguy> it's a known issue and I believe we have a software fix
<FernandoMiguel> Khaytsus: N1 was the only device with RGB track ball
<romainguy> but it's not my area so...
<lonelyDonut> Khaytsus: i used the **** out of them on the N1. I miss it so.
<romainguy> no guarantee etc.
<Khaytsus> FernandoMiguel: So you're saying small footprint of users to have such a feature eh?
<oscillik> romainguy: really? even though by all accounts it seems largely to be a hardware defect due to insufficient RF shielding?

only if that "software fix" is indeed a fix not a "patch"
22nd November 2011, 11:10 PM   |  #910  
Flag Widnes

906 posts
More
posting this here too as a way of trying to humble myself regarding this 4.0.2 update

Quote:

I must apologise to everyone of you that I have smacked down regarding the 4.0.2 update that had looked to be specific to Verizon.

I just had a conversation with Romain Guy, Android engineer and he has confirmed that they are working on a software fix.

True to my word, I am admitting when I was wrong. I sincerely apologise for being so brusque with many users in this thread and others on this particular matter.

I still firmly believe that this is a hardware fault, however. But my apology here is regarding the 4.0.2 update that was mistakenly thought to be only for the Verizon version of the Galaxy Nexus.

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bug, galaxy, nexus, volume
Previous Thread Next Thread