Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,783,010 Members 44,537 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Jellybean Information

Tip us?

navodwickra
Old
Thanks Meter 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordancrockett View Post
And its free? Sounds like its too good to be true! I'll have to test it out.
it's free and it joins your contacts too.
රුසියාවට වඩා ලොකුයි ඉරිසියාව මල්ලි

Nokia N95->Xperia X1->HTC Desire->Galaxy S-> Galaxy S2

Stretlow
Old
Thanks Meter 85
So let me get this right, if I reupload my pictures to google contacts on my pc through the gmail site, then re-sync my contacts I should have high res pictures on the phone?

derPianist
Old
Thanks Meter 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretlow View Post
So let me get this right, if I reupload my pictures to google contacts on my pc through the gmail site, then re-sync my contacts I should have high res pictures on the phone?
Right!

Gesendet von meinem Galaxy Nexus mit Tapatalk 2
+Nexus 4 @ Google's ///Stock 4.4.4
+Nexus 5 @ Rascarlo's & Lichti's ///RASTAKAT & franciscofranco's ///franco.KERNEL
+Nexus 7 @ Google's ///Stock 4.4.4

fnd66
Old
Thanks Meter 0
how do you get a better battery life.. its really bad

CubicTom
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnd66 View Post
how do you get a better battery life.. its really bad
First of all, this is a really general question and also doesn't give us much information about what you have tried already and _how bad exactly_ it is. I shall nevertheless give it a try:

Maybe the battery needs to be recalibrated, which is a common issue after flashing a new ROM.

To do so, charge your phone to 100% without interruption, then unplug the charger and leave the phone running without recharging it until the battery is completely empty such that it turns itself off.

Repeat this procedure twice.

After that, battery statistics should again reflect your battery's full capacity.

If battery life is still bad after that, you should check under settings -> battery, if there is any particular process eating up all the power.

Also, if you want to temporarily increase your battery life above its usual level, say for outdoorsy activities, you can use an app like SetCPU to reduce the processor speed available. However, you need to be rooted to do that and the CPU settings need to be handled with care!

Apart from all this, turning off Bluetooth, NFC and WiFi whenever it isn't needed and reducing your screen's brightness can help extend your battery life. Also, if you are somewhere without any mobile signal reception, you will save heaps of capacity by entering flight mode, since the network search is quite energy intensive.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (maguro) / GT-I9250
Android Version: 4.3.1 Jelly Bean
Build: CM 10.2-maguro (nightly)
Kernel: Stock 3.0.72-cyanogenmod
Radio: XXLJ1
Bootloader: MD04
Recovery: CWM 6.0.4.3
BusyBox: v1.21.1-jb

kristovaher
Old
Thanks Meter 221
I am not sure if this was already here in 4.0.4 (it wasn't in 4.0.1), but I am glad to see that it is possible to set phone lock timeout again. Back when I used HTC Desire I had a PIN code on my phone for casual security, but since at times I switched the screen off and soon after on again (like when in a store to look at something) I didn't want to enter the PIN all the time. So I had a time lock set for it, that it only asked for PIN if I didn't use the phone for five minutes.

This was not an option in Android 4.0. If you used PIN security then every time you turned off the screen and back on again, it asked for a PIN. Especially horrible when it timed out. It became an annoyance enough that I ended up using Slide Lock only.

Now it's possible again to set the timeout forphone lock, making sure that your phone is locked only after X amount of time. I love it! It even has an option to check if power button instantly locks or not.

CubicTom
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristovaher View Post
I am not sure if this was already here in 4.0.4 (it wasn't in 4.0.1), but I am glad to see that it is possible to set phone lock timeout again. Back when I used HTC Desire I had a PIN code on my phone for casual security, but since at times I switched the screen off and soon after on again (like when in a store to look at something) I didn't want to enter the PIN all the time. So I had a time lock set for it, that it only asked for PIN if I didn't use the phone for five minutes.

This was not an option in Android 4.0. If you used PIN security then every time you turned off the screen and back on again, it asked for a PIN. Especially horrible when it timed out. It became an annoyance enough that I ended up using Slide Lock only.

Now it's possible again to set the timeout forphone lock, making sure that your phone is locked only after X amount of time. I love it! It even has an option to check if power button instantly locks or not.
As far as I remember, this has also been a feature in 4.0.4 already.

efrant
Old
Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 8,059

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicTom View Post
[snip]

When making CWM permanent, I just renamed the recovery-from-boot.p and kept it in the folder. Thus, I could just rename it again and OTA should install fine, right?
Right.
Quote:
However, I did not do anything to the install-recovery.sh before or after I installed CWM (should I?).
There are two files place on your system (by OTA updates) that cause the recovery partition to be re-flashed on every re-boot. install-recovery.sh is the script that flashes recovery-from-boot.p to your recovery partition. Deleting or renaming one or both will prevent this from happening.
Quote:
Moreover, do I need any further steps of uninstalling CWM or anything when the OTA comes around? When answering this, please take my signature information into account.
No. (Although I have seen people having issues with Stericson's busybox installed.)
At present, I am not readily available on the forums or via PM -- if you are in need of a moderator, please contact someone from this list.

I do NOT answer technical questions via PM. Post in a thread.

Google Nexus 5

XDA Forum Rules & Moderator List

WHAT MATTERS IS UNDERSTANDING THE JOURNEY...
The Following User Says Thank You to efrant For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CubicTom
Old
(Last edited by CubicTom; 2nd July 2012 at 11:24 AM.)
Thanks Meter 17
Thanks efrant, for your useful reply which helped extend my understanding!
Quote:
Originally Posted by efrant View Post
[Snip]
I have seen people having issues with Stericson's busybox installed.
Can you recommend any other busybox version which is not expected to cause such problems?

Cheers
CT

efrant
Old
Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 8,059

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks efrant, for your useful reply which helped extend my understanding!

Can you recommend any other busybox version which is not expected to cause such problems?

Cheers
CT

I use Busybox Installer, and I have it install the latest version of busybox in /system//xbin
At present, I am not readily available on the forums or via PM -- if you are in need of a moderator, please contact someone from this list.

I do NOT answer technical questions via PM. Post in a thread.

Google Nexus 5

XDA Forum Rules & Moderator List

WHAT MATTERS IS UNDERSTANDING THE JOURNEY...

The Following User Says Thank You to efrant For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]