Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Jellybean Information

OP xHausx

2nd July 2012, 10:04 AM   |  #471  
navodwickra's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Leeds
Thanks Meter: 257
 
1,177 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordancrockett

And its free? Sounds like its too good to be true! I'll have to test it out.

it's free and it joins your contacts too.
2nd July 2012, 10:07 AM   |  #472  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 88
 
825 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
More
So let me get this right, if I reupload my pictures to google contacts on my pc through the gmail site, then re-sync my contacts I should have high res pictures on the phone?
2nd July 2012, 10:10 AM   |  #473  
derPianist's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Cologne
Thanks Meter: 621
 
1,195 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretlow

So let me get this right, if I reupload my pictures to google contacts on my pc through the gmail site, then re-sync my contacts I should have high res pictures on the phone?

Right!

Gesendet von meinem Galaxy Nexus mit Tapatalk 2
2nd July 2012, 10:21 AM   |  #474  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
22 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
how do you get a better battery life.. its really bad
2nd July 2012, 10:35 AM   |  #475  
CubicTom's Avatar
Member
Flag Tübingen
Thanks Meter: 17
 
54 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnd66

how do you get a better battery life.. its really bad

First of all, this is a really general question and also doesn't give us much information about what you have tried already and _how bad exactly_ it is. I shall nevertheless give it a try:

Maybe the battery needs to be recalibrated, which is a common issue after flashing a new ROM.

To do so, charge your phone to 100% without interruption, then unplug the charger and leave the phone running without recharging it until the battery is completely empty such that it turns itself off.

Repeat this procedure twice.

After that, battery statistics should again reflect your battery's full capacity.

If battery life is still bad after that, you should check under settings -> battery, if there is any particular process eating up all the power.

Also, if you want to temporarily increase your battery life above its usual level, say for outdoorsy activities, you can use an app like SetCPU to reduce the processor speed available. However, you need to be rooted to do that and the CPU settings need to be handled with care!

Apart from all this, turning off Bluetooth, NFC and WiFi whenever it isn't needed and reducing your screen's brightness can help extend your battery life. Also, if you are somewhere without any mobile signal reception, you will save heaps of capacity by entering flight mode, since the network search is quite energy intensive.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
2nd July 2012, 10:37 AM   |  #476  
kristovaher's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Tallinn
Thanks Meter: 221
 
947 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
More
I am not sure if this was already here in 4.0.4 (it wasn't in 4.0.1), but I am glad to see that it is possible to set phone lock timeout again. Back when I used HTC Desire I had a PIN code on my phone for casual security, but since at times I switched the screen off and soon after on again (like when in a store to look at something) I didn't want to enter the PIN all the time. So I had a time lock set for it, that it only asked for PIN if I didn't use the phone for five minutes.

This was not an option in Android 4.0. If you used PIN security then every time you turned off the screen and back on again, it asked for a PIN. Especially horrible when it timed out. It became an annoyance enough that I ended up using Slide Lock only.

Now it's possible again to set the timeout forphone lock, making sure that your phone is locked only after X amount of time. I love it! It even has an option to check if power button instantly locks or not.
2nd July 2012, 10:44 AM   |  #477  
CubicTom's Avatar
Member
Flag Tübingen
Thanks Meter: 17
 
54 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristovaher

I am not sure if this was already here in 4.0.4 (it wasn't in 4.0.1), but I am glad to see that it is possible to set phone lock timeout again. Back when I used HTC Desire I had a PIN code on my phone for casual security, but since at times I switched the screen off and soon after on again (like when in a store to look at something) I didn't want to enter the PIN all the time. So I had a time lock set for it, that it only asked for PIN if I didn't use the phone for five minutes.

This was not an option in Android 4.0. If you used PIN security then every time you turned off the screen and back on again, it asked for a PIN. Especially horrible when it timed out. It became an annoyance enough that I ended up using Slide Lock only.

Now it's possible again to set the timeout forphone lock, making sure that your phone is locked only after X amount of time. I love it! It even has an option to check if power button instantly locks or not.

As far as I remember, this has also been a feature in 4.0.4 already.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
2nd July 2012, 12:03 PM   |  #478  
efrant's Avatar
Senior Moderator
Flag Montreal Bow2DaCow
Thanks Meter: 8,241
 
9,627 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2009
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicTom

[snip]

When making CWM permanent, I just renamed the recovery-from-boot.p and kept it in the folder. Thus, I could just rename it again and OTA should install fine, right?

Right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicTom

However, I did not do anything to the install-recovery.sh before or after I installed CWM (should I?).

There are two files place on your system (by OTA updates) that cause the recovery partition to be re-flashed on every re-boot. install-recovery.sh is the script that flashes recovery-from-boot.p to your recovery partition. Deleting or renaming one or both will prevent this from happening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicTom

Moreover, do I need any further steps of uninstalling CWM or anything when the OTA comes around? When answering this, please take my signature information into account.

No. (Although I have seen people having issues with Stericson's busybox installed.)
The Following User Says Thank You to efrant For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd July 2012, 12:19 PM   |  #479  
CubicTom's Avatar
Member
Flag Tübingen
Thanks Meter: 17
 
54 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
More
Thanks efrant, for your useful reply which helped extend my understanding!
Quote:
Originally Posted by efrant

[Snip]
I have seen people having issues with Stericson's busybox installed.

Can you recommend any other busybox version which is not expected to cause such problems?

Cheers
CT

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
Last edited by CubicTom; 2nd July 2012 at 12:24 PM.
2nd July 2012, 12:25 PM   |  #480  
efrant's Avatar
Senior Moderator
Flag Montreal Bow2DaCow
Thanks Meter: 8,241
 
9,627 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2009
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicTom

Thanks efrant, for your useful reply which helped extend my understanding!

Can you recommend any other busybox version which is not expected to cause such problems?

Cheers
CT

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

I use Busybox Installer, and I have it install the latest version of busybox in /system//xbin

The Following User Says Thank You to efrant For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes