Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,098 Members 46,723 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

I really love my Nexus but...

Tip us?
 
EyeAndroid
Old
#11  
EyeAndroid's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Posts: 258
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow65781 View Post
Thanks for this. I was on the fence between this or waiting for the gs3, currently running stock gb with adw pro on an exynos gs2, guess I'll just keep saving for the unlocked gs3 and hope Google Play carries it.

Don't bait the trolls.
Ya man, never been a huge fan of the S2 due to the general design of the phone + I hate touchwiz and odin.

Yesterday I was fed up & Just put in an order for an HTC One S but then cancelled it today when I heard the speakerphone and saw how amplified the dots of the pixels really can get when you run Super Amoled on a 960 x 540 res.

LOVE LOVE LOVE Stock ICS.
 
earlyberd
Old
#12  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 73
Posts: 463
Join Date: Mar 2010
Learn to clean out your recent apps menu. Google integrated a task manager into the recent apps menu for a reason.

Your phone lags because it's running low on memory, and 99% of developers suck at memory management. Just because you don't have a taskbar at the bottom of the screen telling you how many apps you have open doesn't mean there probably isn't something that you left open, hogging your system resources. The same thing has happened on desktop computers for years, what makes you think your phone is going to act any different?
 
HinotoriBR
Old
#13  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 76
Posts: 281
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: São Paulo
I just know that I run stock 4.0.4 + root, and it works just fine, no lag whatsoever... But, since you say your phone has a loud speakerphone, it must not be the Galaxy Nexus lol... At least not an Ok one, because it surely has one of the worst speakerphone I have ever heard... And don't call me Shirley!
 
EyeAndroid
Old
#14  
EyeAndroid's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Posts: 258
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyberd View Post
Learn to clean out your recent apps menu. Google integrated a task manager into the recent apps menu for a reason.

Your phone lags because it's running low on memory, and 99% of developers suck at memory management. Just because you don't have a taskbar at the bottom of the screen telling you how many apps you have open doesn't mean there probably isn't something that you left open, hogging your system resources. The same thing has happened on desktop computers for years, what makes you think your phone is going to act any different?
You could be right on this. I dont ever restart my phone and I always just Go home when I'm done. Any way to have it auto kill after about an Hour or so?

Im surprised Thats not something Google would have implemented in ICS just for performance?
 
EyeAndroid
Old
#15  
EyeAndroid's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Posts: 258
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HinotoriBR View Post
I just know that I run stock 4.0.4 + root, and it works just fine, no lag whatsoever... But, since you say your phone has a loud speakerphone, it must not be the Galaxy Nexus lol... At least not an Ok one, because it surely has one of the worst speakerphone I have ever heard... And don't call me Shirley!
You must not have Owned any HTC phones

"Surely you cant be serious??!?"

"I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley"
The Following User Says Thank You to EyeAndroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
martonikaj
Old
#16  
martonikaj's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1714
Posts: 7,850
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyberd View Post
Learn to clean out your recent apps menu. Google integrated a task manager into the recent apps menu for a reason.

Your phone lags because it's running low on memory, and 99% of developers suck at memory management. Just because you don't have a taskbar at the bottom of the screen telling you how many apps you have open doesn't mean there probably isn't something that you left open, hogging your system resources. The same thing has happened on desktop computers for years, what makes you think your phone is going to act any different?
This is not at all necessary...
Quit signing contracts, stop overpaying for service, GO PREPAID!
Follow me on Twitter / Google+
Don't have Dropbox yet? Sign up from this link, and we both get more storage!
The Following User Says Thank You to martonikaj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
EyeAndroid
Old
#17  
EyeAndroid's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Posts: 258
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by martonikaj View Post
This is not at all necessary...
Why do you say that?

(As i Just got finished downloading ATK)
 
jdiddy_ub
Old
(Last edited by jdiddy_ub; 26th April 2012 at 11:21 PM.)
#18  
jdiddy_ub's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 150
Posts: 931
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Queens Village, NY

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeAndroid View Post
You could be right on this. I dont ever restart my phone and I always just Go home when I'm done. Any way to have it auto kill after about an Hour or so?

Im surprised Thats not something Google would have implemented in ICS just for performance?
i have a SG2...getting my nexus delivered tomorrow so i started browsing the nexus section...

for starters on any android you shouldnt press home unless you are leaving the app for a brief moment and are planning on going back to it...home will keep the app running...you have to use the back key to close out of many apps (especially the ones that dont have a designated exit button)

app management is very crucial but auto killing isnt good for the system...android will close apps on its own as space is needed...however there are certain apps that are service hogs and eat up ram...i am somewhat of an app hoarder but i know which apps to keep and which to get rid of...normally if you have like 120mb of free ram or so a dual core phone shouldnt ever lag...if it lags its not due to memory

on my SG2 i have like 200+ apps but almost always have like 250mb ram free (even without a reboot for several days)...on the rare occasions that i feel it lag i check and sometimes i will see that it dropped down to like 80mb free...a quick reboot fixes it

its also good to reboot your phone every few days
The Following User Says Thank You to jdiddy_ub For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
rican408
Old
#19  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 40
Posts: 389
Join Date: Jun 2010
I'm reading a bone stock sprint galaxy nexus. I have no lag at all. And I'm coming from an epic touch. In my experience custom rom's slow down after a while. Which is why I usually stay stock with root.
 
earlyberd
Old
#20  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 73
Posts: 463
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeAndroid View Post
You could be right on this. I dont ever restart my phone and I always just Go home when I'm done. Any way to have it auto kill after about an Hour or so?

Im surprised Thats not something Google would have implemented in ICS just for performance?
You want to try to avoid automated task killers because they can lead to stability issues if they're too aggressive, and as an additional background process they have the potential to eat your battery life. The safest way to kill apps is just by swiping them away with the recent apps menu.

Google tries really hard to implement a good system of memory management in Android, the problem is just that developers don't really utilize it. You can clearly see the difference especially if you like to run alternative browsers or old games. All of the stock Google apps work great and I can keep them open forever, but if I leave StumbleUpon or Plants Vs. Zombies open in the background long enough my phone will start to chug.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes