The LTE/4G Hype

OP loveubuntu

21st April 2012, 09:39 PM   |  #21  
Flag Anaheim, CA
Thanks Meter: 321

1,646 posts
More
Am I the only one who doesnt get insane battery drain with LTE? I keep it on ALL DAY and usually get 7+ hours of battery. Checking Facebook, uploading photos, browsing Reddit....and my battery (stock 1850) gets me through the day. Maybe you guys just need to learn to not pull your phone out every 5 min.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA
21st April 2012, 09:51 PM   |  #22  
Thanks Meter: 74

767 posts
More
I don't know about you guys but I love having LTE on my verizon GNEX

many times if I have 1 bar of signal and with LTE I am able to stream pandora/sirius xm/ winamp shoutcast radio browse sites do whatever I want.

Previously I was on AT&T with the 2GB plan and often it would lag so bad and what is even better now on Verizon I have family pland and I pay same price for better service more data only downside is that I dont have unlimited mobile to mobile but I never ran out of minutes anyway.

So for me streaming music is a big thing even though I have huge collections of house,trance and lots of other EDM music.
21st April 2012, 10:49 PM   |  #23  
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 396

5,578 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrynalyne

Except that...the Galaxy Nexus doesn't support 42Mbps from Tmo.

Sure. Its the point in general. 20Mbps is so good as is, and its not even maxed out with back haul yet. Lte really shines with low latency ability. That's where it really matters.

But for now until lte chip sets can match hsdpa power efficiency I'll take an hsdpa device just as well. I guess lte can be disabled to achieve the same result. It just seems like too many Verizon people get poor idle performance even with lte off. I'd think it would match the GSM version in those cases.
21st April 2012, 10:59 PM   |  #24  
Thanks Meter: 9

205 posts
I have the Verizon extended battery and am on 4G all day. I usually have about 1 hour of screen time and 35% battery left when I go to bed.

While LTE speed isn't necessary, it sure is nice. HSPA+ is plenty fast too, but from my experience it isn't consistently fast. Could have been T-Mobiles HSPA+ network in its infancy at the time too.

As long as I can make it 1 day with some reserve power left I am good to go. On my tbolt I had to disable 4g to make it all day, but the nexus works great all day!
21st April 2012, 11:03 PM   |  #25  
Thanks Meter: 68

177 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeey

Am I the only one who doesnt get insane battery drain with LTE? I keep it on ALL DAY and usually get 7+ hours of battery. Checking Facebook, uploading photos, browsing Reddit....and my battery (stock 1850) gets me through the day. Maybe you guys just need to learn to not pull your phone out every 5 min.

Very different scales for what a full day's use is, I think. If my phone only lasted 7 hours that would be terrible for my purposes. My normal usage is mostly for texting and email, with the occasional check to for something online. It's uncommon for me to go less than 24 hours on a full charge. I've had streaks of 48 hours+ on truly minimal usage.

If I'm going to sit in front of my phone checking reddit or playing a game I sort of make a mental note that I'll -need- to charge the phone that night if i want to use it the next day, but my normal usage lets me not be tied to my charger so tightly. Having 4g on simply removes this option, and it's not a flexibility I want to give up.
21st April 2012, 11:19 PM   |  #26  
Flag Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Thanks Meter: 316

2,812 posts
Donate to Me
More
It's a transition time when a phones utilize only lte for everything power condition well be high till then

I have always been the odd guy in the data speed fanboy fights. What TMobile did with overhauling their backbend and giving a better through put for every phone is leaps and bound better than having to turn in a Wimax/lte chip to see fast data rates.

Also I feel it's easy for consumers, alas not a true 4g but honestly what would most people do with broadband speeds in their hands for what their phone is going to do. Unless your networking for house off your phone, but then you might want a mifi

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
21st April 2012, 11:22 PM   |  #27  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 327

1,134 posts
More
what is the average speeds you guys get on 4G? on my Vodafone UK i usually get around 6-8MBit/s all the time in East London, which is pretty awesome for 3G
21st April 2012, 11:43 PM   |  #28  
Thanks Meter: 5

124 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IINexusII

what is the average speeds you guys get on 4G? on my Vodafone UK i usually get around 6-8MBit/s all the time in East London, which is pretty awesome for 3G

It depends on location. I used to get 40-50 down on at&t's Lte network. <-- that will come down as time goes on.
6-8 down is pretty good for 3G.
22nd April 2012, 12:32 AM   |  #29  
Thanks Meter: 74

767 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IINexusII

Highest I ever got is in my signature average is 15 to 30 mbps , upload from 10 to 17 mbps max at least for me
22nd April 2012, 02:54 AM   |  #30  
Thanks Meter: 1

13 posts
I agree with the OP. 4G is nice but for my uses (websites/app downloads) it is totally unnecessary. A half a second quicker page load is not worth the battery drain for having it on 24/7. I get a few hours more of battery life with 3G. Which on my Nexus is well worth it. Don't get me wrong, if I am downloading a podcast while not on wifi (rare) I flip on 4G. It just doesn't seem like the tech is quite there yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matthew9559 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread