Microphone cutting out mid call

Search This thread

agreenbhm

Jun 14, 2010
USA
Samsung Galaxy S21
Edit: please see this Google issue tracker post and star it to get Google's attention!

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24019

I've had it happen 3 times now that I'll be on a call for a number of minutes and all of a sudden the person I'm talking to won't hear me any more. To be fair, I've been talking to the same person, and each time it's been an extended call (5+ minutes). It happened on Saturday, twice. Since then, I have wiped data/cache and flashed a custom rom. It happened again this evening, right around 10 minutes into the call.

The microphone doesn't come back. I tried turning on speaker phone and muting/unmuting my mic, but it won't bring the microphone back. Like I said, this is the same person I've spoken to each time, however, I've been speaking with them often (with their current phone) on my previous phone and never had this issue, so I'm not sure if it's their phone's problem. I spoke with someone else for 30+ minutes on Sunday and didn't have this happen.

To remedy the situation, I just hang up and call back and it works fine, until it happens again.

I'm confused. Is my phone problematic or is it a software bug or is it the other person's phone? Is anyone else experiencing this?

EDIT: Just thought I'd mention I'm on VZW LTE/CDMA.

Last edited:

Teqonix

Jun 8, 2010
Denver, CO
Thought I was the only one with this problem. Had the exact same thing happen to me talking with my girlfriend the past two nights. Think I'm going to blow away everything and go back to stock 4.0.2. I think it's an app that's misbehaving.

ndfinster

Jun 29, 2010
I've had the same thing happen to me. It has happened the most often when talking to my gf who has an iphone 4 on ATT, but it also happened when I was trying to make dinner reservations at a restaurant that was using a landline.

I am running stock 4.0.2.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Scrappy1

Dec 4, 2010
This was a common problem on the Samsung Droid Charge, which uses the same questionable Via baseband modem for voice calls. The earlier Charge Froyo firmware had all kinds of voice issues: 1) outgoing voice drop. 2) systematic cut in/out. 3) garbled robot voice quality. 4) loud ear hurting static. Since the latest Charge firmware EP4 (gingerbread), all issues except occasional robot voice are fixed. The phone is now usable where it was laughable before. The loud static may have been linked to certain phones / hardware rather than firmware.

Hopefully Samsung can incorporate the Charge fixes into the Nexus.

Hopefully Samsung stops using 3rd rate Via chips.

mike420

Oct 3, 2010
Hey I have this happen about once a day sometimes more and doesnt matter who im talking to it can happen to anyone at anytime. This is very annoying seems like the smarter and more advance these phones get the crappier the actual phone call part of it gets. I think they forget cell phones primarily are for phone calls

Charm8er

Jan 11, 2011
Reply I had the same thing happening to mine. I was actually on the phone with VZW Level 2 Tech support when the mic went dead. It happened twice while talking to the same agent. She said it sounded like a clicking noise on her end. She then told me to take the phone back to the store.
I went in and got it swapped for a new one and had to return that one the same day because the ear piece sounded blown. Now on my 3rd Galaxy Nexus. The mic issue hasn't happened yet but I just got this one yesterday.... I'll report back if it happens again.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

kklier

Jan 31, 2011
I don't think this is a hardware problem. I've had this happen on all three GNs I've had. This last time I was talking on my jawbone headset. I tried switching to the phone mike and speaker phone it did not make a difference. I also tried muting and unmuting. How do we get Samsung to acknowledge this problem?

reimerj

Jan 29, 2011
Bismarck, ND
I have the same problem on stock 4.0.2 and on RevolutionHD 2.1.2. I spent an hour or so with level 2 tech support. I was told that I was the only person to report this issue. They suggested that I change it out or switch to a different phone. My Son-in-Law has the Nexus as well and also has the same issue. I guess I have till 1/15/2012 to make up my mind. :)

Tomson74

Oct 7, 2010
I am having the exact same issues. I will say it lasts about 3-5mins in the call then no one can hear me, and I have to call the people back. I love my Nexus!! I am so glad that I am not the only one having this issue. Edit: I have gone on the VZW Tech Forums and informed them of my problem, and pointed to this thread. I am hoping I hear something from VZW. Maybe if we can get more people to post on the thread over there, VZW and Samsung will see there is a problem. Heres the link h t t p ://community.vzw.com/t5/4G-Discussion/No-One-Can-Hear-Me-After-3-5mins/td-p/762556 (sorry had to space the http part since I am new. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: walidmrealtor

wanderfowl

Sep 22, 2011
I've had this issue too. Sounds like a resonably easy thing to fix with software.

Sent from my Xoom using xda premium

wanderfowl

Sep 22, 2011
Has anybody had this happen on 4.0.3? How about on the GSM GNex? Just trying to narrow it down.

zamboni52

Dec 29, 2011
Exact same problem here. I called Verizon and they sent out a new one. But after a few calls longer than 5 minutes the microphone went out and I had to call back. I reused the same SIM card. Could that be a potential solution?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Vote for this issue here:

Hopefully this will get the attention of Google.
    Edit: please see this Google issue tracker post and star it to get Google's attention!

I've had it happen 3 times now that I'll be on a call for a number of minutes and all of a sudden the person I'm talking to won't hear me any more. To be fair, I've been talking to the same person, and each time it's been an extended call (5+ minutes). It happened on Saturday, twice. Since then, I have wiped data/cache and flashed a custom rom. It happened again this evening, right around 10 minutes into the call.

The microphone doesn't come back. I tried turning on speaker phone and muting/unmuting my mic, but it won't bring the microphone back. Like I said, this is the same person I've spoken to each time, however, I've been speaking with them often (with their current phone) on my previous phone and never had this issue, so I'm not sure if it's their phone's problem. I spoke with someone else for 30+ minutes on Sunday and didn't have this happen.

To remedy the situation, I just hang up and call back and it works fine, until it happens again.

I'm confused. Is my phone problematic or is it a software bug or is it the other person's phone? Is anyone else experiencing this?

EDIT: Just thought I'd mention I'm on VZW LTE/CDMA.
    This was a common problem on the Samsung Droid Charge, which uses the same questionable Via baseband modem for voice calls. The earlier Charge Froyo firmware had all kinds of voice issues: 1) outgoing voice drop. 2) systematic cut in/out. 3) garbled robot voice quality. 4) loud ear hurting static. Since the latest Charge firmware EP4 (gingerbread), all issues except occasional robot voice are fixed. The phone is now usable where it was laughable before. The loud static may have been linked to certain phones / hardware rather than firmware.

Hopefully Samsung can incorporate the Charge fixes into the Nexus.

Hopefully Samsung stops using 3rd rate Via chips.
    This has been happening to me across 3 separate VZ Gnexs now. A total of probably 30 times or more now. It happens no matter the conditions, wifi, 4G, 3G, incoming, outgoing, it does not seem to matter, I am in the Denver metro area in areas that usually have pretty good signal too.

I finally got a response on my support ticket regarding this issue at VZW. They said that it is a software issue with the Galaxy Nexus and that it should be fixed with an OTA at some point in the future... No eta available.

I have also been having an issue with the 4G and 3G Data connection dropping randomly and requiring power cycle or Airplane Mode cycle to get it back.

After all of the issues I have been having they offered to let me switch back to a certified pre owned Rezound or Razr or cancel my contract free of charge but wouldn't give me a bill credit....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
    There, tacked on this info to the end of the bugtracker post.