5,596,354 Members 38,808 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Microphone cutting out mid call

Tip us?

agreenbhm
Old
(Last edited by agreenbhm; 28th March 2012 at 07:07 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Default Microphone cutting out mid call

Edit: please see this Google issue tracker post and star it to get Google's attention!

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24019

I've had it happen 3 times now that I'll be on a call for a number of minutes and all of a sudden the person I'm talking to won't hear me any more. To be fair, I've been talking to the same person, and each time it's been an extended call (5+ minutes). It happened on Saturday, twice. Since then, I have wiped data/cache and flashed a custom rom. It happened again this evening, right around 10 minutes into the call.

The microphone doesn't come back. I tried turning on speaker phone and muting/unmuting my mic, but it won't bring the microphone back. Like I said, this is the same person I've spoken to each time, however, I've been speaking with them often (with their current phone) on my previous phone and never had this issue, so I'm not sure if it's their phone's problem. I spoke with someone else for 30+ minutes on Sunday and didn't have this happen.

To remedy the situation, I just hang up and call back and it works fine, until it happens again.

I'm confused. Is my phone problematic or is it a software bug or is it the other person's phone? Is anyone else experiencing this?

EDIT: Just thought I'd mention I'm on VZW LTE/CDMA.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to agreenbhm For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Teqonix
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Thought I was the only one with this problem. Had the exact same thing happen to me talking with my girlfriend the past two nights. Think I'm going to blow away everything and go back to stock 4.0.2. I think it's an app that's misbehaving.

agreenbhm
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Please report back with your findings.
The Following User Says Thank You to agreenbhm For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ndfinster
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I've had the same thing happen to me. It has happened the most often when talking to my gf who has an iphone 4 on ATT, but it also happened when I was trying to make dinner reservations at a restaurant that was using a landline.

I am running stock 4.0.2.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Scrappy1
Old
Thanks Meter 17
This was a common problem on the Samsung Droid Charge, which uses the same questionable Via baseband modem for voice calls. The earlier Charge Froyo firmware had all kinds of voice issues: 1) outgoing voice drop. 2) systematic cut in/out. 3) garbled robot voice quality. 4) loud ear hurting static. Since the latest Charge firmware EP4 (gingerbread), all issues except occasional robot voice are fixed. The phone is now usable where it was laughable before. The loud static may have been linked to certain phones / hardware rather than firmware.

Hopefully Samsung can incorporate the Charge fixes into the Nexus.

Hopefully Samsung stops using 3rd rate Via chips.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scrappy1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

agreenbhm
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Thanks for the input. Nice to have an idea of what's going on.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

mike420
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hey I have this happen about once a day sometimes more and doesnt matter who im talking to it can happen to anyone at anytime. This is very annoying seems like the smarter and more advance these phones get the crappier the actual phone call part of it gets. I think they forget cell phones primarily are for phone calls

RogerPodacter
Old
Thanks Meter 391
Ironically 2 of my calls today complained i was dropping out. But i had full signal. My phone is brand new so these are the only calls ive really made so far.
My boring Github
My N1 Battery Project

Phone: Galaxy Nexus
ROM: AOKP 29 4.0.4
Recovery: CWM Touch

lcinstall
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Reply I had the same thing happening to mine. I was actually on the phone with VZW Level 2 Tech support when the mic went dead. It happened twice while talking to the same agent. She said it sounded like a clicking noise on her end. She then told me to take the phone back to the store.
I went in and got it swapped for a new one and had to return that one the same day because the ear piece sounded blown. Now on my 3rd Galaxy Nexus. The mic issue hasn't happened yet but I just got this one yesterday.... I'll report back if it happens again.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

kklier
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I don't think this is a hardware problem. I've had this happen on all three GNs I've had. This last time I was talking on my jawbone headset. I tried switching to the phone mike and speaker phone it did not make a difference. I also tried muting and unmuting. How do we get Samsung to acknowledge this problem?