Microphone cutting out mid call

Search This thread

BigFwoosh

Jan 26, 2010
Well, the dream is dead. I just had my mic cut out about 10 minutes ago. Looks like it's back to the drawing board.

BigFwoosh

Jan 26, 2010
I actually had the mic cut out 5 times in the last 30 minutes. I'm going to a Verizon store this weekend to get this crap sorted out. Enough is enough.

bangdrum

Jan 21, 2011
I actually had the mic cut out 5 times in the last 30 minutes. I'm going to a Verizon store this weekend to get this crap sorted out. Enough is enough.

I hope I'm getting lucky then I haven't had the issue since I updated to the new bootloader and radio

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

chapsizzle71

May 11, 2010
Pennsylvania
I will do this also. I have not initially reported it however I've had the same issues.

I'm in Pennsylvania in an area where 4G/3G hand off a fair amount. Reviewing my phone calls for the month of April I found one call over 30 minutes. The majority are under 20. Not all were disconnects. There is one coworker who when I speak to him, we have frequent disconnects.

I read through the majority of this thread last evening, did we determine if the hardware revision affects this issue?

Previous Radio Version:
FA02/FA02

Current Version:
FC04/FC05

I will report back if I have any issues or if it works well.

Well, so far I had just one call cut out. The other person reported a robotic voice. I could still hear them.

I did find that I traveled through spots where I had previous issues and I did not get disconnects.

That is all...

Keanen

Mar 27, 2008
I had this happen again last night. I have flashed the official 4.0.4 and it's still happening :(

charlescom

Dec 31, 2011
I had this happen again last night. I have flashed the official 4.0.4 and it's still happening :(

This issue actually happened on my latest and greatest Galaxy Nexus (4th one).
It's been happening more and more and more....how wonderful.

Of course, I don't want to swap out this one as the other 3 had it way worse + all the other issues.

I called VZW Customer Representative who then transferred me to Tier 2 Technical Support, who then went on saying "Verizon has nothing to do with this issue. Samsung is in total control. The update should be out by end of May."

Ahahahahahahahaha...

I would be calm and patient if they hadn't used that story line starting January, Feb, March, April.....all along the way..

all I can say is..

Seriously?

Reactions: Dan76

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
I feel bad for you guys. I talk on my phone daily, and have conference calls that last 2-3 hours every week. No mic issues, no call drops. Been good since December. Back in December, the speaker would cut out mid-call and they could hear me, but not them. It resolved itself though.

I hope it gets worked out for you guys.

Dan76

Dec 3, 2008
Asheville
Honestly, I haven't even made a call on mine in two weeks because of the mic anxiety... using my backup LG flip phone for voice calls... I'll give it a try over the weekend to see if its miraculously better.

jclake

Jan 3, 2011
Well, the dream is dead. I just had my mic cut out about 10 minutes ago. Looks like it's back to the drawing board.

My dream is dead too. I made it three and a half days with my refurbished phone before the audio cut out. Waiting for an update that will fix this that will be available "next month," or "someday" is making me feel ripped off.

Lucky Armpit

Aug 16, 2011
USA, Garner, NC
It's my understanding that Samsung has identified the one-way audio issue and is going to release a patch "some time in May" that should fix the issue. Take that with a grain of salt - better yet, a salt mine - but hopefully that means relief is on the way.

Dan76

Dec 3, 2008
Asheville
It's my understanding that Samsung has identified the one-way audio issue and is going to release a patch "some time in May" that should fix the issue. Take that with a grain of salt - better yet, a salt mine - but hopefully that means relief is on the way.

That is amazing news, but I'd love to see your source of info... I scour the interwebs daily looking for updates and have seen none.

The glimmer of hope is awesome though... here's hoping!

spencer88

Apr 19, 2010
Columbia, SC

Dude you can't have read anything that's been in this thread. We've been told this same thing back in January, suggested update in February. Called in February, suggested update in March, and so on and so on.

MileHighG8

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
I hope there is a fix coming soon. This issue has kept me from using my Nex for any business calls. Sometimes the audio cuts at a few seconds into the call. Not good.

A few weeks ago, I was in Phoenix for a week, and never had a problem. That's not to say it would never happen there, but I was on the phone quite a bit.

Teqonix

Jun 8, 2010
Denver, CO
I think I'll be paying for a new phone once Verizon gets some hackable ICS devices in stock. The microphone has been cutting out on me since I got the thing, and 7 months of the phone not acting like a phone is completely unacceptable.

Lucky Armpit

Aug 16, 2011
USA, Garner, NC
Why not tell us where you got the information?

I've read that on several other forums (including this one) as well as from the dozens of Verizon reps I've spoken to over the past few months. That's why I mentioned it with a large disclaimer. It's the same song/dance we've heard before but worth passing along if it is true. I'm not holding my breath, of course, lest I turn blue.

emcd4

Nov 14, 2008
4.0.4 has been put up again for flashing and is supposedly what Verizon is going to OTA soon.

As far as I can tell, this is the same as the earlier release (MD5 is the same) and therefore the radios are the same as the earlier 4.0.4 release.
The one way audio commonly called microphone cut out has not been fixed with this release. I still have this issue with 4.0.4.

Since this impacts the usefulness of the GN to perform as a phone, I am now going to examine other options such as the HTC rezound.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Vote for this issue here:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24019

Hopefully this will get the attention of Google.
    Edit: please see this Google issue tracker post and star it to get Google's attention!

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=24019

I've had it happen 3 times now that I'll be on a call for a number of minutes and all of a sudden the person I'm talking to won't hear me any more. To be fair, I've been talking to the same person, and each time it's been an extended call (5+ minutes). It happened on Saturday, twice. Since then, I have wiped data/cache and flashed a custom rom. It happened again this evening, right around 10 minutes into the call.

The microphone doesn't come back. I tried turning on speaker phone and muting/unmuting my mic, but it won't bring the microphone back. Like I said, this is the same person I've spoken to each time, however, I've been speaking with them often (with their current phone) on my previous phone and never had this issue, so I'm not sure if it's their phone's problem. I spoke with someone else for 30+ minutes on Sunday and didn't have this happen.

To remedy the situation, I just hang up and call back and it works fine, until it happens again.

I'm confused. Is my phone problematic or is it a software bug or is it the other person's phone? Is anyone else experiencing this?

EDIT: Just thought I'd mention I'm on VZW LTE/CDMA.
    This was a common problem on the Samsung Droid Charge, which uses the same questionable Via baseband modem for voice calls. The earlier Charge Froyo firmware had all kinds of voice issues: 1) outgoing voice drop. 2) systematic cut in/out. 3) garbled robot voice quality. 4) loud ear hurting static. Since the latest Charge firmware EP4 (gingerbread), all issues except occasional robot voice are fixed. The phone is now usable where it was laughable before. The loud static may have been linked to certain phones / hardware rather than firmware.

Hopefully Samsung can incorporate the Charge fixes into the Nexus.

Hopefully Samsung stops using 3rd rate Via chips.
    This has been happening to me across 3 separate VZ Gnexs now. A total of probably 30 times or more now. It happens no matter the conditions, wifi, 4G, 3G, incoming, outgoing, it does not seem to matter, I am in the Denver metro area in areas that usually have pretty good signal too.

I finally got a response on my support ticket regarding this issue at VZW. They said that it is a software issue with the Galaxy Nexus and that it should be fixed with an OTA at some point in the future... No eta available.

I have also been having an issue with the 4G and 3G Data connection dropping randomly and requiring power cycle or Airplane Mode cycle to get it back.

After all of the issues I have been having they offered to let me switch back to a certified pre owned Rezound or Razr or cancel my contract free of charge but wouldn't give me a bill credit....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
    There, tacked on this info to the end of the bugtracker post.