5,593,293 Members 33,415 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Which Kernel Out Of The 5 In The OP Do You Prefer Most?
AK 15 7.85%
A.S.K.P 24 12.57%
Golden 13 6.81%
Mpokang 118 61.78%
Tiny 21 10.99%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Nephilim's Custom Kernel Settings

Tip us?

Nephilim
Old
(Last edited by Nephilim; 23rd March 2014 at 05:32 PM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 8864

DONATE TO ME
Default Nephilim's Custom Kernel Settings

**These settings are meant for 4.2.1, 4.2.2, 4.3 and 4.4 kernels that I specify, the tweaks to certain areas however should work on more than just the kernels I include in this thread.**

[SIZE="4"]
Hey guys, as most of you from the AK Kernel thread may know (or now the DirtyV Kernel thread) and a few others that checked my signature links, I take great pride in customizing the best possible kernel settings for excellent performance and great battery, Since we've moved on from Android 4.2.x based roms and Stefano (AK) has since moved to the Nexus 4 I have been trying out other kernels, this means new settings to tweak and improve.

This Thread is dedicated to the custom kernel settings I use with some of my favorite kernels, I will still include my AK Kernel 4.2.1/4.2.2 settings but in addition I will be adding some new settings for a few kernels I think are quite impressive. Feel free to ask any questions you like, take from my settings what you like and answer anyone elses questions that you may know the answer to. I want this thread to be a community of help and not just from me. I do not expect you all to use my custom settings exactly, if you want to experiment feel free to, these are just a base to start with if you are not familiar with tweaking kernels and for those that are and enjoy my settings/colors, feel free to use them as they are.

The 4.4.x kernel settings will be occasionally updated if and when I feel there are improvements worthy of making so keep an eye on the thread for information on changes that may have been made to the OP.

Section 1.

4.2.1/4.2.2 Based AK Kernel Settings:

Cubic
FIOPS
Read Ahead Buffer: 896 (The results for RAB will vary so experiment and find one that works best for you if mine do not yield preferred results.)
Interactive (hispeed_freq - 810000 in "Governor Control")
Min: 180mhz
Max: 1060mhz (1350mhz if you want a little more power at minimal sacrifice to battery)
Max Screen Off: 350mhz (this is to avoid lagging/stuttering of music playback when screen is not on)
Min Screen On: 180mhz
WiFi High Performance: Off
Force Fast Charge: Off
Multicore Power Savings: 2
High Performance Sound: Off
Headphone Volume Boost: 1
Dynamic FSYNC: On
Tempature Limit: 80
GPU (If Available): 384mhz
GPU Governor (If Available): OnDemand
ZRAM: Off
Smartreflex: All On (MPU undervolted by 25 across the board)
[with any undervolting there is a risk of freezing and/or SOD's, not all devices play nice with lower voltages so if you find that you are encountering issues just return to stock]
Core Min Calibrated Voltage: 800
IVA Min Calibrated Voltage: 800
MPU Min Calibrated Voltage: 800

Section 2.

4.3 Based Kernel Settings (Should work on 4.4 roms as well or have a 4.4 variant):

A.S.K.P. Kernel:

Cubic
Deadline
Read Ahead Buffer: 1024 (The results for RAB will vary so experiment and find one that works best for you if mine do not yield preferred results.)
InteractiveX (hispeed_freq - 729600 in "Governor Control")
Min: 192mhz (350mhz if on 4.4 "Grande" version)
Max: 1036mhz
Max Screen Off: 384mhz (this is to avoid lagging/stuttering of music playback when screen is not on)
Min Screen On: 192mhz
High Performance Sound: On
Temperature Limit: 80
GPU: 384mhz
Smartreflex: All On (MPU undervolted by 50 across the board)
[with any undervolting there is a risk of freezing and/or SOD's, not all devices play nice with lower voltages so if you find that you are encountering issues just return to stock]

Golden Kernel:

Golden
Golden
Read Ahead Buffer: 1024 (The results for RAB will vary so experiment and find one that works best for you if mine do not yield preferred results.)
InteractiveX (hispeed_freq - 729600)
Min: 192mhz
Max: 1344mhz (feel free to use 729.6mhz if you like, I personally noticed there is not really much noticable battery loss difference between 1344mhz and 729.6mhz though.)
Max Screen Off: 384mhz (this is to avoid lagging/stuttering of music playback when screen is not on)
Min Screen On: 192mhz
Temperature Limit: 75
GPU: 512mhz
Smartreflex: All On (MPU undervolted by 100 across the board)
VAUX3_6030: 2500
VMMC: 1000

Tiny Kernel:

Westwood
Sio
Read Ahead Buffer: 1152 (The results for RAB will vary so experiment and find one that works best for you if mine do not yield preferred results.)
InteractiveX (hispeed_freq - 700000)
Min: 230mhz
Max: 1350mhz (feel free to use 920mhz if you like, I personally noticed there is not really much noticable battery loss difference between 1344mhz and 920mhz though.)
Max Screen Off: 350mhz (this is to avoid lagging/stuttering of music playback when screen is not on)
Temperature Limit: 75
Smartreflex: All On (MPU undervolted by 100 across the board)

DirtyV Kernel:

Illinois
Zen
Zen Control Settings
General I/0 Tunables
add_random: 0
iostats: 0
nomerges: 0
rotational: 0
rq_affinity: 2
I/O Scheduler Tunables
async_expire: 2500
fifo_batch: 0
sync_expire: 304 (won't allow me to set 300, which was my original choice, really don't think there is a difference though lol)

Read Ahead Buffer: 384 (The results for RAB will vary so experiment and find one that works best for you if mine do not yield preferred results.)
Interactive
Governor Control Settings
above_hispeed_delay: 40000
boostpulse_duration: 750000
go_hispeed_load: 86
hispeed_freq: 920000
input_boost_freq: 700000
io_is_busy: 0
min_sample_time: 75000
sampling_down_factor: 1
target_loads: 78
timer_rate: 16000

timer_slack: 58000

Min: 190mhz (older DirtyV/SmittyV versions will use 180mhz)
Max: 1500mhz (I have found minimal battery loss upping this to 1500mhz, if you prefer to stay on 1400mhz feel free too)
Max Screen Off: 525mhz (this is to avoid lagging/stuttering of music playback when screen is not on and possible screen wake delay)
Min Screen On: 180mhz
Force Fast Charge: On (DirtyV kernel as well as a few others now have the ability to still transfer data via USB while using Force Fast Charge.)
Headphone Boost: 1
Touch Wake: Off
Vibrator Strength: 90
Battery Life Extender: 98 (setting removed on all current DirtyV/SmittyV versions, only viable if using old editions of the kernels)
Tempature Limit: 75
Smartreflex: All On (MPU undervolted by 50 across the board, IVA and Core leave at default)
Core Min Calibrated Voltage: 800
IVA Min Calibrated Voltage: 800
MPU Min Calibrated Voltage: 800
(Min Calibrated Voltages will be turned off by default on all SmittyV versions due to SmittyV Kernel using Smartreflex 3.0, the above voltage settings are only viable when using DirtyV Kernels)
VANA: 1500
V2V1: 1000
VAUX3_6030: 2700
VAUX1_6030: 1100
VDAC: 1000
VCXIO: 1500
VUSIM: 1800
VMMC: 1300
VUSB : 3200

I have no lag, no freezing, good battery life and excellent performance with these settings

Also, my ram sits at between 234mb and 145mb free on AK, ASKP and Golden kernels and between 355mb and 270mb free on Mpokang, DirtyV and Tiny kernels due the BIGMEM on Mpokang and DirtyV and ASRAM on Tiny. I have 128 apps installed.

My battery stats are as so, on low usage I get about 21hrs to 23hrs of standby and 1.5hrs to 2hrs of on-screen time. On normal use I get about 15hrs to 17hrs of standby and about 2hrs to 3hrs of on-screen time. On heavy usage (which is only occasional) I get about 11hrs to 13hrs of standby and about 3hrs to 4hrs of on-screen time. Take into consideration, these battery stats are from a Toro Galaxy Nexus, this means those of you on a Maguro (GSM) model will probably get much better battery life than even this by using my settings.

Section 3.

Minfree Settings:
(Be advised, you must have the Donation version of Trickster Mod in order to add minfree settings)

Forground App: 10
Visible App: 20
Secondary Server: 100
Hidden App: 120
Content Provider: 95
Empty App: 195

These minfrees have been tested on DirtyV Kernels and Mpokang Kernels but should work just as well on all others. I've personally noticed an increase of 500+ points on AnTuTu as well as noticeable improvements on performance in everyday usage of my device.

Section 4.

Color Settings:

Content Adaptive Brightness: On
Contrast: -5
Gamma Adjustment: 5
Gamma Offset Red: -5
Gamma Offset Green: -3
Gamma Offset Blue: 7
Color Multiplier Red: 260
Color Multiplier Green: 276
Color Multiplier Blue: 340
Regular Brightness Settings: Autobrightness is off and I have it manually set to 50%

If anyone has issues when the Green Gamma Offset is a negative number boost all Gamma Offset Colors up by 3 to make Red -2, Green 0 and Blue 10, then drop Contrast down to -8 rather than -5, this should give you almost the same result.

My color settings work with any custom kernel, I feel that they have a remarkably crisp and vibrant tone to them, feel free to use them and tweak them as you see fit.

As always, if you have found this thread helpful please tap the "THANKS" button.

Links to the kernels I specify can be found below:

AK Kernel (4.1.x/4.2.x based kernels): http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1883298

A.S.K.P Kernel (4.2.x, 4.3 and 4.4.x kernels): http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2342312

Golden Kernel (4.2.x, 4.3 and 4.4.x kernels): http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2394905

Tiny Kernel (4.2.x, 4.3 and 4.4.x kernels): http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1994248

DirtyV Kernel (4.4.x kernels): http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2613655

Credit to Stefano (AK Kernel), Amperific (A.S.K.P Kernel), Jeeko (Golden Kernel),
tiny4579 (Tiny Kernel) and bsmitty83 (DirtyV Kernel) for all the great work!!!!!

Special Thanks to wavedashdoc for providing the excellent minfree settings!

Link to my Official Google+ Community: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communit...81984046422598

Click "Show Content" For Links To My Custom Kernel Settings Thread and Official Google+ Community

Nephilim's Custom Kernel Settings Thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6#post44514476
Nephilim's Android Resource Community on Google+: https://plus.google.com/communities/...81984046422598
The Following 382 Users Say Thank You to Nephilim For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Misledz
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 8306

DONATE TO ME
First and good job taking the initiative!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Misledz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

illnez
Old
Thanks Meter 9
i read in the past not to set color multiplier to 200+. is this still valid? yours is much higher i wonder if this will harm your display after a while...
Please hit the thanks button if my post was helpfull

Nephilim
Old
Thanks Meter 8864

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by illnez View Post
i read in the past not to set color multiplier to 200+. is this still valid? yours is much higher i wonder if this will harm your display after a while...
Good question, actually it is not an issue, especially since I set my brightness to 50%, even if you had it at 100% it would not affect it though, I've been using these color settings since I got my Galaxy Nexus and I've had no problems whatsoever with my screen.

Look at it this way, you do not see issues with LCD television screens for at least 3 to 4 years after you get them the thing about our devices is that we will most likely have upgraded before any of these settings could possibly affect them if they even do.

Click "Show Content" For Links To My Custom Kernel Settings Thread and Official Google+ Community

Nephilim's Custom Kernel Settings Thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6#post44514476
Nephilim's Android Resource Community on Google+: https://plus.google.com/communities/...81984046422598
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nephilim For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Nephilim
Old
Thanks Meter 8864

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misledz View Post
First and good job taking the initiative!

Thanks a bunch and I very much look forward to your new update of Louder!!!!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nephilim For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Misledz
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 8306

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephilim View Post
Thanks a bunch and I very much look forward to your new update of Louder!!!!
It's done and it's reworked alot of things! You'll love it this time around

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Misledz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Nephilim
Old
Thanks Meter 8864

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misledz View Post
It's done and it's reworked alot of things! You'll love it this time around

Sweet! Can't wait!

Sent from my AOSPA 3.96 Galaxy Nexus

The Following User Says Thank You to Nephilim For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TemplesOfSyrinx
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Glad to see a separate thread for your settings Neph!
Nexus 5 and Google Nexus 10
The Following User Says Thank You to TemplesOfSyrinx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

szucsgf
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3258
Quote:
Originally Posted by illnez View Post
If another user's experience is useful, I used multipliers even higher than Nephilim and the only impact was a bright screen with vibrant colors. I used lux auto brightness so at time my screen would be at 100% brightness.

------------------
Someone didn't search? Read this before you react:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=44478830
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szucsgf For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Nephilim
Old
Thanks Meter 8864

DONATE TO ME
Glad to see my thread is being noticed, I hope to turn it into what the AK thread was but with helpful tips for multiple kernels rather than just one.

Sent from my AOSPA 3.96 Galaxy Nexus

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nephilim For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
a.s.k.p kernel, dirtyv kernel, golden kernel, nephilim, tiny kernel