Odds of Gnex seeing unofficial L Release

OP Brettbesa

25th June 2014, 10:28 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3

79 posts
Let's get this out of the way first, nobody here is stupid, we know the L Release is never going to come to the Galaxy Nexus officially. So let's talk about the community. I just have one basic question for our talented devs, what are the odds that a port of L will be able to come to the Gnex and if so, what kind of time frame are we looking at here?
25th June 2014, 10:58 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 4

53 posts
Does the Cyanogenmod team do developers previews like this one? We might see it from them.
25th June 2014, 11:33 PM   |  #3  
Flag under philadelphia above Delaware, beer heaven
Thanks Meter: 1,534

4,409 posts
Donate to Me
More
I'm sorry, but this post is exactly what I expected to see today.

so lets get it out of the way.
SURE
we COULD see some 5.0 aosp love(via custom development)
MAYBE.
time frame?
when.source drops, give it a few months at most I'd say
source isn't even CLOSE to ready yet though.

SOOO
let's ALSO look at the past.
which nexus devices, after Google officially dropped support, are STILL ABLE AND ARE running LATEST android version?
ALL of them right?
stability and such isn't a factor for this question, it's IF IT CAN/DOES run newest aosp in SOME FORM.

so I'd say YES gnex WILL see 5.0 in SOME usable form. but asking for ANY "time frame"at THIS POINT since SOURCE ISN'T AVAILABLE YET is kinda pointless.
maybe though, just maybe, there are ALREADY some people at work on getting those "preview" things ported. no matter WHAT, patience and not asking for timeframe/eta is key here
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ashclepdia For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th June 2014, 11:35 PM   |  #4  

34 posts
I don't normally do +1 style posts, but I am also greatly interested in knowing this as well.

I imagine it is largely going to depend on how much of the underlying kernel and driver interaction changes. I remember on my prior phone, a Droid X which has been and is still locked down, it was generally impossible to get past ICS because of the major underlying changes in JB and not being able to get those on the DX. Granted the Nexus doesn't have this limitation but drivers aren't likely to be further updated and if the kernel goes too far forward it is unlikely to see compatible driver versions for GNex hardware.

EDIT: I should probably say modules instead of drivers. I'm primarily a Windows person PC-side.
26th June 2014, 12:02 AM   |  #5  
Flag Yorkshire
Thanks Meter: 38

102 posts
More
Put it this way my 4 year old HTC Desire can run Kitkat then i would be amazed if we didn't end up with some pretty good builds of "L".
26th June 2014, 01:20 AM   |  #6  
OP Member

79 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashclepdia

so lets get it out of the way.
SURE
we COULD see some 5.0 aosp love(via custom development)
MAYBE.
time frame?
when.source drops, give it a few months at most I'd say
source isn't even CLOSE to ready yet though.

SOOO
let's ALSO look at the past.
which nexus devices, after Google officially dropped support, are STILL ABLE AND ARE running LATEST android version?
ALL of them right?
stability and such isn't a factor for this question, it's IF IT CAN/DOES run newest aosp in SOME FORM.

so I'd say YES gnex WILL see 5.0 in SOME usable form. but asking for ANY "time frame"at THIS POINT since SOURCE ISN'T AVAILABLE YET is kinda pointless.
maybe though, just maybe, there are ALREADY some people at work on getting those "preview" things ported. no matter WHAT, patience and not asking for timeframe/eta is key here

Thanks for replying! I figured since I looked pretty thoroughly and didn't see a thread for it and thought that having at least one place for Gnex owners to talk about the L release for us wouldn't be a bad thing. I in no way meant to be one of those people who constantly bugs the devs about ETA's, I just meant what were could be expecting in the general sense. Thanks for the reassurance about us getting it, I've just been burned before about support with previous devices when they got past official support. But those weren't Nexii so I didn't know what to expect.
26th June 2014, 12:05 PM   |  #7  
Flag under philadelphia above Delaware, beer heaven
Thanks Meter: 1,534

4,409 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettbesa

Thanks for replying! I figured since I looked pretty thoroughly and didn't see a thread for it and thought that having at least one place for Gnex owners to talk about the L release for us wouldn't be a bad thing. I in no way meant to be one of those people who constantly bugs the devs about ETA's, I just meant what were could be expecting in the general sense. Thanks for the reassurance about us getting it, I've just been burned before about support with previous devices when they got past official support. But those weren't Nexii so I didn't know what to expect.

yea sorry about my tone in that reply mostly too
I'm usually not the one to fly off ranting towards other users actions, at least not on xda(i do #AshRants elsewhere lol)
your question was a valid one, and I know where you coming from when it comes to nom nexus devices and their lack of support, I had a droid x2 that was ORIGINALLY SCHEDULED BY MOTOROLA to have ICS update. which for some reason they just didn't follow through on. Their REASON they said was that "android 4.0+ would not improve functionality of this device"...aka "we don't feel like fixing all the bugs we gave you already with shotty gingerbread releases, and we aren't going to allow you to unlock the device or give you usable kernel source so screw off",...back when moto didn't gaf about the dev communities. they have made huge strides towards mending that relationship. just couldn't believe they had the gall to say 4.0 wouldn't improve the first dual core android device running a tegra2 chipset. bah. ramblings now again from ash.

but yea reason I kinda went off in that reply was mostly cuz I hoped all the other people who were already drooling at the chance to post the exact same things would slow down and think instead first it wasnt intended as a personal attack towards you or to start any flamewar on the subject. and judging by your reply you didn't take offense to it anyways, so :thumbsup: we all on the same page anyways.

personally, I haven't seen much of the IO stuff about L, I saw mostly design changes, and would like to know more details about it's new features so I'll be digging around YouTube today for recaps and such.
but I'm almost certain that if we don't get some kinda official rom like CM, OMNI, SHINY, PA, etc... building L based.roms for us, then some of our awesomely talented devs will at LEAST get us able to look like we have it, along with SOME if not z MOST functionality of L.
1st July 2014, 11:29 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashclepdia

I also think you guys should be patient. Your life won't be (that limited if there won't be a port of the coming up Android L to our Galaxy Nexus. Just relax.
3rd July 2014, 11:36 PM   |  #9  
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 42

64 posts
More
As some have already pointed out, we're unlikely to see Android 5 "officially" ported to our GNex, for pretty much the same reason that we don't have an official 4.4 release for our phone. From ArsTechnica:

Quote:

"Our talk with Burke shed some light on some more obscure topics too, including the lack of an Android 4.4 update for the Galaxy Nexus. Google's official line was that the company only supports hardware for 18 months after release, which it still mentions in its official Nexus update support document. As was speculated at the time, though, the decision was tied to Texas Instruments' exit from the consumer SoC market (TI's OMAP chip powered the Galaxy Nexus as well as other prominent Android-based hardware like the first Kindle Fires).

"It was a really extraordinary event," he said. "You had a silicon company exit the market, there was nobody left in the building to talk to."

TI stopped development for the GNex SoC at Android 4.1. Google and others worked hard to support it for 4.2 and 4.3, but the official TI software was broken by 4.4. The reason that we even have 4.4 custom ROMs is because some kind-hearted person, perhaps a TI insider, released beta or engineering sample software for the SoC. But as we've found, it's not the most stable

have a great weekend,
john
The Following User Says Thank You to jsage For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th July 2014, 08:08 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 843

1,539 posts
More
You could all complain about TI stopping development and blaming them. The Google Glass uses a not to different TI SOC compared to the GNex has a 3.4 kernel and runs 4.4.2

Now please understand that Google simply ditched us for reasons other than TI stopped developing SOC bla bla bla.

The Following User Says Thank You to akash3656 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread