Official Galaxy Nexus in the Philippines

OP gtizon

11th May 2012, 04:12 PM   |  #241  
Thanks Meter: 252

1,521 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam88

Hi Everyone! I am new here and I would like to share my experience with my Galaxy Nexus. Please bear with me as I would be sharing a long story so as not to leave any details that might be important.

Last Tuesday, May 8, I bought my Galaxy Nexus from an online store for 18700 pesos. Upon receiving the unit I checked the condition of the seal (if it has not been tampered with) and broke the seal to inspect my phone. I inserted my Sun SIM in the slot and turned on the phone, it went straight to the home screen. I wanted to check if it was unlocked so I asked the lady who gave the unit if it is indeed unlocked which she replied yes. Given that the network reception of sun is poor in the area, I stood by with what the lady said and decided to go home. Upon arriving home, I connected to the wifi and downloaded the 4.0.4 update using the software update option in the phone. I also checked if the network reception of the sun sim is ok which it was . I viewed some unboxing videos online and noticed some discrepancies with the unit that I have and the one they were unboxing. First, the seal in the box of my unit had another seal in the bottom, I checked the cut marks left on the upper seal and validated that I was the one who tore it, but the one on the bottom had a straight cut which was not the same as the upper seal that I broke. Second is that once they powered the unit on, they would see a welcome screen which I wasn't able to see when I turned on the unit for the first time. So I decided to do a factory reset so that I would be able to set some settings needed in the welcome screen like my gmail account. After the factory reset, I noticed that my sim card is not recognized by the phone anymore and it asks me to input a SIM network unlock code. I tried the PUK of my sim but I wasn't the code it was looking for. I tried another network provider SIM but it was seeking for an unlock code also. So I contacted the store and ask what might be the cause of my problem and they said that my SIM might have a PIN. I told them that my SIM has no PIN because I was transferring it from one phone to another without a need for a PIN so they said that I bring it back to them so that they can check it. I searched the internet for answers and the only thing that I saw was that if you encountered that error then your unit was carrier locked and then unlocked. There are several things that can cause your unit to be locked again to the carrier and one of them was to do factory reset.

Today, I went back to the store to have my unit checked. At first, the lady who assisted me was the one trying to tinker on the phone's settings and when she was unsuccessful, she passed it on to another lady. A man (who I think was the owner of the store) approached and ask what the problem was. So I relayed my story and he said that he couldn't exchange my phone because I have already modified it's software by downloading the upgrade. He said he wanted to help me but the only way he can help is that he can have my unit reprogrammed but to my expense (800-1500 pesos) and that I have to leave the unit for 3 weeks. He said that it was a risk I took when I decided to upgrade my version and that they are not covering it for a replacement (even though there were some questions about the seal and the welcome screen). So I asked him if I shouldn’t update my version at all and he replied that I am free to do that, its just that they wouldn't be accountable for the errors brought about by the software modification that I have done with the unit.

I decided not to handover my unit and find some answers on the internet. This is also why I decided to share my story, cause some of you might have encountered this problem and solved it already and for those who are planning to buy their units to check it extensively. After all, 18700 is not very easy to earn. So my question now is, can the error: SIM network unlock PIN/code be triggered by upgrading your version? I have read that some have already upgraded to version 4.0.4 so I think they would be aware if this problem exists or not.

It's actually not an error. Factory resetting the phone will restore it to its unaltered state. You have every right to upgrade your software version. If they advertised the phone as factory unlocked then you are entitled to that and anything else constitutes fraud. Tell them you will file a report to DTI and then ask for their details etc. I have encountered this where a vendor unlocked my phone only through software, it was my k320i. I did a factory reset and it was locked to Sun again. The reason why you encountered that error was because their way of unlocking was merely software and they didn't give you an actual factory unlocked phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to prinzhernan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th May 2012, 04:29 PM   |  #242  
Somewhere in between
Thanks Meter: 446

1,407 posts
I’m not gonna add anymore as there are suggested actions already for cam88. Just want to reinforce that you have every right to complain.

thephantom aka multo

Sent from a Nexus
11th May 2012, 04:30 PM   |  #243  
Thanks Meter: 1

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harveydent

From your story, it sounds that your phone was not factory unlocked but merely "store/retailer unlocked", i.e. the phone is originally carrier-locked but was software-unlocked by someone (either the store you brought it from or their supplier). The OTA upgrade probably did nothing to re-lock it, but the factory restore probably did.

Upgrading to 4.0.4 is NOT a software modification. It's a manufacturer upgrade, and you're supposed to install it, barring extreme exceptions. The problem is someone modified the phone even before you got your hands on it. So even if you went to Samsung, they can't help you since the phone was originally factory locked and that's the condition they will send it back to you even if you sent it to them for warranty.

Did you buy your phone from a small cellphone stall? It looks like they're not an authorized seller and you're left with few options. You can 1) go back to the store and kindly but firmly insist that it's not your fault, and they have to give you your money back or to re-unlock it for free, and if they refuse, make a lot of noise (metaphorically) and report them to the DTI (they can't refuse returns since you did no modification), Samsung, and maybe even to the BOC; or 2) you can re-unlock the phone yourself either from methods here at XDA or other forums, or by paying online unlockers which may be cheaper than what that store is charging

Take not that with that phone, even if you re-unlock it, anything that wipes data (flashing a ROM/Kernel, or a software glitch that forces you to factory reset) will revert your phone to a sim-locked state

I bought my phone from an online store which had positive reviews that is why I didn't hesitate to buy from them. I will be going back there and ask if they can give me a new phone that is really brand new and unlocked or refund my money if I was left with no choice. Thanks for the tip, I was really giving up on this phone and fighting for my consumer rights that is why I decided to post my story but now that many people are telling me to go back to the store, I will be insisting that it is not my fault.
11th May 2012, 04:51 PM   |  #244  
Flag Cagayan de Oro City · Valencia Bukidnon

98 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by antikryst

anyone looking for a case? selling my 3 week old, like new, black sgp ultra capsule case. bought from applewerkz for 1.1 or 1.2k. cant remember. receipt is at home for those who care about authenticity. i still have the original packaging. lots of good reviews of this online. really good build quality.

also selling a new "oem" galaxy nexus pouch. very similar to the oem nexus one pouch... got this from ebay from a seller in HK. looks decent but the quality is different from the pouch that came with my nexus one. looks the same though. carried my nexus one for 2 years in that pouch so i figured i may want to go pouch again. this one cost me about 200 php shipped. though i had to wait 5 weeks, drive to the post office, and pay another 40 bucks for claiming it.

RFS: decided on which case i really wanna use. decided on the sgp ultra hybrid. i like it since its all matte and not shiny.

sgp ultra capsule: 800 php
"oem" pouch: 200 php

i can meet up in the ortigas area. podium preferably. i can also ship for the actual shipping cost. around 120 php i think for LBC (thats the only one near my office). those interested can DM me.

I am very interested with the items... but hmmm. I have to save for it first.
12th May 2012, 02:50 AM   |  #245  
Flag Quezon City
Thanks Meter: 9

165 posts
More
^^^ just pm me if you like to get the cases from me.
12th May 2012, 02:54 AM   |  #246  
Flag Manila
Thanks Meter: 41

906 posts
More
Quote:

I bought my phone from an online store which had positive reviews that is why I didn't hesitate to buy from them. I will be going back there and ask if they can give me a new phone that is really brand new and unlocked or refund my money if I was left with no choice. Thanks for the tip, I was really giving up on this phone and fighting for my consumer rights that is why I decided to post my story but now that many people are telling me to go back to the store, I will be insisting that it is not my fault.

Yes I would definitely go back and argue with them. That is retarded, tell them straight away they sold you a used phone that was opened already and passed off as a brand new unit. You can file a complaint through DTI, just make sure you document everything properly including your visits and transactions.

If anyone's interested I have an unused capdase silicon case and otterbox commuter screen protector for sale! only 500 pesos for the both of them
13th May 2012, 12:19 AM   |  #247  
Thanks Meter: 208

1,079 posts
More
Quote:

Hope you get a good phone or at least your money back.

If they don't budge, you can try this to unlock the phone yourself:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1548210

DISCLAIMER: haven't tried it yet and don't make any guarantees
13th May 2012, 03:43 AM   |  #248  

4 posts
Hi everyone!

I would like to provide an update on the status of my problem. This may be also a bit long but I will try to be concise without leaving any important details.

May 12, 10am: Me and my friend went back to the seller. We talked with the guy from the other day for approximately 2.5 hours. We pointed out that we researched about the error: sim network unlock code that we are getting on the phone and stressed that this might be caused by the phone being carrier locked and was back to locked state when the phone was put back into factory reset.The guy was stressing that this was caused by the update of the version from 4.0.2 to 4.0.4 and if the phone was still in 4.0.2 version and encountered the sim network unlock code error then he wouldn't hesitate in replacing the item. This condition was explicitly stated in their website as pointed by him.He would contact the supplier and ask if the unit can be replaced/repaired given that the software was already updated.

We were left with 2 options:
1. The supplier will replace our unit but we need to wait for a couple of days for the replacement unit.
2. The unit will be repaired (reprogrammed) at our expense.

Since the guy can't contact the supplier, we were asked to go back to their store at 4pm but we opted for them to contact us instead in case there is any development. We then left the store

May 12, 1:00pm: the guy called and advised that we have the option to leave the unit at the store before 6pm and have a brand new replacement unit on Thursday. Since we were a bit hungry, we decided to have lunch first then go back to the store.

May 12, 2:30pm; We went back to give them the unit and got an acknowledgment paper from the lady who sold me the unit.

May 12, 11pm: the guy called again and informed me that the manufacturer is willing to replace my unit. Apparently, galaxy nexus is not yet perfect and is still having some defects which included encountering the sim network unlock code error. He told me that i was the first one to report this kind of defect to the guy but there was another customer who came back with the same problem after we left. We were asked to come back to the store on thursday to pick-up the replacement unit.

With this in mind, I would like to get some ideas from you on what to check on the galaxy nexus (aside from the seal and factory reset) so that I could ensure that my unit is OK. I will get back to you on thursday to provide updates on how the replacement went.
13th May 2012, 05:42 AM   |  #249  
Flag Quezon City
Thanks Meter: 9

165 posts
More
does anyone know where i could get an mhl micro usb to hdmi cable?

i saw one in the samsung store in megamall (1.6k i think) ... just looking for a cheaper alternative.
13th May 2012, 12:41 PM   |  #250  
Thanks Meter: 252

1,521 posts
More
Quote:

Hi everyone!

I would like to provide an update on the status of my problem. This may be also a bit long but I will try to be concise without leaving any important details.

May 12, 10am: Me and my friend went back to the seller. We talked with the guy from the other day for approximately 2.5 hours. We pointed out that we researched about the error: sim network unlock code that we are getting on the phone and stressed that this might be caused by the phone being carrier locked and was back to locked state when the phone was put back into factory reset.The guy was stressing that this was caused by the update of the version from 4.0.2 to 4.0.4 and if the phone was still in 4.0.2 version and encountered the sim network unlock code error then he wouldn't hesitate in replacing the item. This condition was explicitly stated in their website as pointed by him.He would contact the supplier and ask if the unit can be replaced/repaired given that the software was already updated.

We were left with 2 options:
1. The supplier will replace our unit but we need to wait for a couple of days for the replacement unit.
2. The unit will be repaired (reprogrammed) at our expense.

Since the guy can't contact the supplier, we were asked to go back to their store at 4pm but we opted for them to contact us instead in case there is any development. We then left the store

May 12, 1:00pm: the guy called and advised that we have the option to leave the unit at the store before 6pm and have a brand new replacement unit on Thursday. Since we were a bit hungry, we decided to have lunch first then go back to the store.

May 12, 2:30pm; We went back to give them the unit and got an acknowledgment paper from the lady who sold me the unit.

May 12, 11pm: the guy called again and informed me that the manufacturer is willing to replace my unit. Apparently, galaxy nexus is not yet perfect and is still having some defects which included encountering the sim network unlock code error. He told me that i was the first one to report this kind of defect to the guy but there was another customer who came back with the same problem after we left. We were asked to come back to the store on thursday to pick-up the replacement unit.

With this in mind, I would like to get some ideas from you on what to check on the galaxy nexus (aside from the seal and factory reset) so that I could ensure that my unit is OK. I will get back to you on thursday to provide updates on how the replacement went.

In my opinion a factory seal sticker with all the plastic stuck to it would be fine. Also do a factory reset and still check if it's working fine. So long as it's finally factory unlocked it should be fine. I hope they don't try to screw you over.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread