Tip us?

Nephilim
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 8866

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty83 View Post
Thank YOU man . RC status aside , your well known on this forum and well respected by myself and many others . I just don't get complaint threads . I guess you just can't please everyone

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Thanks for your kind words, your contributions are much appreciated as well, I've seen you add quite alot of input over in the 3.4 kernel thread.

I guess my biggest gripe is not complaint threads, those I just ignore. It's more-so threads that actually demean members and developers in the process of complaining, that and when someone has an issue and exaggerates it to such an extreme that it looks as though it will be the downfall of existence for everyone using the said item being complained about.

Click "Show Content" For Links To My Custom Kernel Settings Thread and Official Google+ Community

Nephilim's Custom Kernel Settings Thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6#post44514476
Nephilim's Android Resource Community on Google+: https://plus.google.com/communities/...81984046422598
The Following User Says Thank You to Nephilim For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bsmitty83
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephilim View Post
Thanks for your kind words, your contributions are much appreciated as well, I've seen you add quite alot of input over in the 3.4 kernel thread.

I guess my biggest gripe is not complaint threads, those I just ignore. It's more-so threads that actually demean members and developers in the process of complaining, that and when someone has an issue and exaggerates it to such an extreme that it looks as though it will be the downfall of existence for everyone using the said item being complained about.
Haha , yea I've put my 2 cents over on jackpotCalvins thread , hopefully Amperific can pick up my slack , I'm pretty much out of ideas on making that work , my coding skills in C aren't there yet . I'm putting all my free time in bringing the f2fs filesystem to the gnex . I have build a kernel , ROM , and recovery that supports it , but it involves formatting and repartitioning the /data partition , and since this is my DD until a month or so when I buy a note2 I'll see if what I did works when I retire this .

But yea , calling a dev a liar is kinda harsh and I don't know a single active (gnex) kernel dev that doesn't have a gnex . I tried maintaining my kernels for the incredible2 after I sold my phone and its next to impossible .
The additional ram mod is probably the most popular mod right now and I'm with the majority , I've never used my phone to watch movies on . I build my own kernel for myself with 50 mb of ram reclaimed and I have 0 issues . the bottom line is there are so many great kernels and roms that people can choose , your bound to find one that you like . for the 99% of users , the tradeoff is acceptable . if your the minority that absolutely needs to watch 1080 movies that are down_graded to 720 then your not gonna be able to use the superram kernel .
Its time to put this one to bed though , I trolled this thread cuz it was funny to me , but now its just beating a dead horse .
Your kernel setting are great too BTW , between you and OsmOsis' scripts , I can't find better eace:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bsmitty83 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sik-1
Old
Thanks Meter 442

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Haha , yea I've put my 2 cents over on jackpotCalvins thread , hopefully Amperific can pick up my slack , I'm pretty much out of ideas on making that work , my coding skills in C aren't there yet . I'm putting all my free time in bringing the f2fs filesystem to the gnex . I have build a kernel , ROM , and recovery that supports it , but it involves formatting and repartitioning the /data partition , and since this is my DD until a month or so when I buy a note2 I'll see if what I did works when I retire this .

But yea , calling a dev a liar is kinda harsh and I don't know a single active (gnex) kernel dev that doesn't have a gnex . I tried maintaining my kernels for the incredible2 after I sold my phone and its next to impossible .
The additional ram mod is probably the most popular mod right now and I'm with the majority , I've never used my phone to watch movies on . I build my own kernel for myself with 50 mb of ram reclaimed and I have 0 issues . the bottom line is there are so many great kernels and roms that people can choose , your bound to find one that you like . for the 99% of users , the tradeoff is acceptable . if your the minority that absolutely needs to watch 1080 movies that are down_graded to 720 then your not gonna be able to use the superram kernel .
Its time to put this one to bed though , I trolled this thread cuz it was funny to me , but now its just beating a dead horse .
Your kernel setting are great too BTW , between you and OsmOsis' scripts , I can't find better eace:

Well said

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet using xda app-developers app
Phone: ToroPlus
ROM: AOSPAL
Kernel: SupeRAM
Recovery: Philz
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sik-1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hhwong
Old
Thanks Meter 34
i dont really get the point anyways, why even insist on watching video on such a low res tiny screen?

the screen isnt even full hd, its a 720p screen i believe, its not even a 1080p screen. So yeah.......why even bother?

BTW OP, I am using mpokang 4.4 CM, MX player with custom codec, and i just tested with a few HD videos in mp4 (BD rip), roughly 5gb each video.

They are playing smooth, zero lag, audio perfectly in sync.

What player are you using? I honestly think it might have been your video player instead of the kernel.
The Following User Says Thank You to hhwong For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Loureiro
Old
(Last edited by Loureiro; 4th January 2014 at 06:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 238
OP you have a point but your aggressive approach didn't help at all.

I've tested your .mp4 files using 3 different kernel on a kitkat rom
  • stock aokp kernel
  • mpokang 1080p version
  • ASKP Grande.
The only kernel that wasn't able to play output and outputb in H/W mode was mpokang.

As you said, It's all about finding the "sweet spot". Gnex has low ram available, these "RAM implementations" helped a lot. ASKP Grande was able to play it because it only reclaims 34 MB approx from heap_tile.

As you can see, many users don't use H/W decoder, so why bothering with this? If you need H/W acc that badly, flash a kernel without heap_tile shrunk.

H/W decoder is usefull in Gnex since it supports MHL. You can plug into a 1080p panel or 4k panel or whatever you want.
If the problem is only media decoding, MX have a solution to you all! H/W+ decoder uses is own codec instead of stock media framework.

Phone: Galaxy Nexus "Maguro"
Rom: 4.2
Kernel: 4.2
Recovery: TWRP
The Following User Says Thank You to Loureiro For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AgentSmith
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
I don't think neph understands your acronym for network attached storage , and again for the millionth time , we don't get the reason for this thread , its useless , just flash another kernel . its pointless to argue this topic . funny , but pointless .
It may as well be a "best ROM thread "
Your explanation could have been a lot shorter if you just said network attached storage next time

Then he should've said so. I had no idea. This forum is crammed with acronyms. I simply look up the ones I don't know because I realize people use them unknowingly.

About flashing kernels. I tested quite a few already but I never regained the fluent hardware playback until this fix. And besides, I prefer the standard CM kernel which this fix allows me to do.

Nephilim
Old
(Last edited by Nephilim; 6th January 2014 at 04:06 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 8866

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentSmith View Post
Then he should've said so. I had no idea. This forum is crammed with acronyms. I simply look up the ones I don't know because I realize people use them unknowingly.

About flashing kernels. I tested quite a few already but I never regained the fluent hardware playback until this fix. And besides, I prefer the standard CM kernel which this fix allows me to do.

Why do you keep saying "fix"? It is not a fix, it is a workaround using outdated vendor files from 4.2, that fixes nothing, its merely putting a bandaid on a severed limb.

Sent from my Android 4.4.2 Galaxy Nexus

Click "Show Content" For Links To My Custom Kernel Settings Thread and Official Google+ Community

Nephilim's Custom Kernel Settings Thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6#post44514476
Nephilim's Android Resource Community on Google+: https://plus.google.com/communities/...81984046422598

AgentSmith
Old
(Last edited by AgentSmith; 6th January 2014 at 08:21 PM.)
Thanks Meter 72
Fix, workaround, whatever you wanna call it mate. It certainly fixed my problem though. And besides, aren't many custom ROMs filled with workarounds? Especially the kitkat ones with their cherry pickings and outdated drivers due to lack of manufacturer support. Still happy they're there though.

bsmitty83
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5413

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bsmitty83 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
asram, bigram, shutter, superram, video