Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,645 Members 38,776 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

REMOVED

Tip us?

dirtyreturn
Old
Thanks Meter 126
Default Re: [GUIDE] CPU Governors, TCP algorithms, Android Tips, & IO Schedulers: In my Own W

@MBQsniper. You were right about the pdroid patch, it must have been faulty for that cm build. I do believe there were some issues around that time +/maybe/+ with getting things sorted with auto_patcher. Since then I flashed 4.2.2 stock and patched a cm10.1 rom. All works as it did on previous phones.
The Following User Says Thank You to dirtyreturn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pagratios
Old
Thanks Meter 31
I understand governors very easy. Thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to pagratios For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

szucsgf
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,811
Thank you MBQ. This guide, and your general presence on the AK forum, have been very useful for me!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szucsgf For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MBQ_
Old
Account currently disabled - OP
Thanks Meter 23,070

DONATE TO ME
Default Re: [GUIDE] CPU Governors, TCP algorithms, Android Tips, & IO Schedulers: In my Own W

Quote:
Originally Posted by szucsgf View Post
Thank you MBQ. This guide, and your general presence on the AK forum, have been very useful for me!
Thank you very much

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to MBQ_ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

szucsgf
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,811

I thought I would share a resource about governors that I found very useful in addition to this post:

http://www.alliance-rom.com/communit...ors-explained/

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to szucsgf For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dirtyreturn
Old
Thanks Meter 126

For the whole TCP thing. When referring to packets -that means data transfer?
For the I/O schedulers- that prioritizes the way the apps are handled? I am taking a stab in the dark here- all of these are in some mathematical sequence or something?
For the cpu governors-is it ok to say processor? If it is ok to say that.. is that what the governors take care of?
@MBQsniper? Could you add to the OP if it is not too much trouble.. a description of what each actually are? I'm pretty sure I realize that if reading each description everything would come together. It may / or may not depending on your stance in the matter make even more sense to have a description before the governor /scheduler/tcp to kind of have the full picture before hand and then have the little details.
This is a reference thread it seems. I hope you would include those even if there is google. I think, in my opinion at least, it would simplify things. Though I am not an advanced user if you could maybe take it into consideration. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to dirtyreturn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

faintless
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default IMHO

Quote:
OnDemand:

Basically, this Governor will allow your phone to use CPU speeds on demand, meaning.. If you're sending a text, your phone wont require much memory, but if you're playing a graphically intense game, it will use both cores, most likely at your highest set CPU speed, and will idle back down when you finish your game.
All governor except hotpluggings ones uses both cores LOL anyway yes, but cpu scales to max when reach threshold, if you are gaming or messagging too
Quote:
Interactive:
The same idea of Ondemand, but Interactive scales your CPU to the highest frequency faster than Ondemand does.

InteractiveX(v2):

The same as Interactive, but when you turn your screen off it forces the second CPU core offline until the screen turns on again.
I addict it's hightly optimized thanks project butter, from 4.1 it scales at hispeed_freq when you touch screen and it's updated and review daily
InteractiveX is different from first one, first one is more updated and work as new governor , this interactiveX work as first interactive you describe, ondemand, but more fast scales

Quote:
Wheatley:

One of the favored Governors of users. It is based on Ondemand, but was built with performance in mind, and maxes out c4 time (Simply put: It keeps your phone nice and fast). When opening and running apps, it will ramp up the CPU. Reduced sampling intervals was included as well, and a unique feature of this Governor is the Sampling interval can be lower than the target residency, which prevents wakelocks without hurting battery life.
I tried to test it alot of times, too high battery
[/SIZE]
The Following User Says Thank You to faintless For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

szucsgf
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,811
This post might be useful for people wanting to compare users' experiences using different ROMs and Kernel settings:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2160723
The Following User Says Thank You to szucsgf For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Heisenberg420
Old
(Last edited by Heisenberg420; 26th February 2013 at 06:15 AM.)
Thanks Meter 409

Very useful thread, great info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyFull117 View Post
Would be cool if you could explain the different governor settings like "Target-loads" or "timer-slack"

And thanks for this great thread =)
I wanted to know about these interactive parameters (target loads, timer slack)

I've always been using conservative based governors but after learning about how interactive works and tweaking it a little I'm getting the best battery life I've seen on my phone (gs3)
The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg420 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

afonsov
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Default Thanks!

Absolutely great thread! Thanks!

Afonsov

The Following User Says Thank You to afonsov For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe